Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in Canada

Hiring a car in Canada

Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:44 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hiring a car in Canada

Originally Posted by yonk
I realised that, I was trying to work out which set of tenements! And teasing mildly, in that it's parked in leafy Inverleith but that photo wasn't taken there.

I wonder how many people come to Edinburgh and never realise there are areas like Niddrie, Pilton & Westerhailes?

My last job used to take me out to Westerhailes a lot.
I find it funny though that Dumbiedykes is right next to a really beautiful area e.g. right next to Holyrood Palace, The Scottish Parliament, all the new luxury flats and Arthurs Seat (an extinct volcano for those who don't know) but the area is not a place where I would ever go to not even if you paid me, lol
Old Jul 9th 2006, 7:55 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I find it funny though that Dumbiedykes is right next to a really beautiful area e.g. right next to Holyrood Palace, The Scottish Parliament, all the new luxury flats and Arthurs Seat (an extinct volcano for those who don't know) but the area is not a place where I would ever go to not even if you paid me, lol
Indeed!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:56 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Just to add a little trivia!

To avoid blank responses when enquiring, Canadians rent (hire) cars and hire (employ) people!

Cheers

Darren

Hello,

Was going to hire a car when I go to NS in October can anyone tell me of any good car hire companies and what types of identification will I need, I know I'll need my card licence but would I need my paper licence too? Does anyone know if car hire is expensive in Canada also? Any help appreciated, I'm not sure if I'll be okay with the driving on the other side of the road but I am a confident driver anyone have any tips? lol

Emma x

Old Jul 9th 2006, 5:07 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

To avoid blank responses when enquiring, Canadians rent (hire) cars and hire (employ) people!

Cheers

Darren
Yeah but Orange is from the UK so will hire a car
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by scimdarren
Hi

Cheers

Darren

Ha ha cheers
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
True lol
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Only if he is in the UK when books the vehicle.

If he is in Canada then he will rent a vehicle.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:46 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Only if he is in the UK when books the vehicle.

If he is in Canada then he will rent a vehicle.
Who told you to come out of the corner.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 9:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Who told you to come out of the corner.
Please sir can I come out of the corner now.
(tugs gently at imaginary forelock)
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:24 pm
Banned

Since you asked so politely, yes.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 7:37 pm

Hello, I'm back again

Does anyone know if I can "rent" a car in Halifax then leave it at New Glasgow/Stellarton?

Thanks again

Emma
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

silver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant futuresilver birch has a brilliant future

Hi Emma, IIRC you are going out to NS the same week as us (14th to 21st Oct??), I guess you are going from Glasgie though?? We'll be going from London (when I get round to booking the flights ). We aren't very good at forward planning

Anyways, when we rented/hired last summer, we just went to Dollar Thrifty after we landed which is in the arrivals bit of Halifax Airport and got a pretty good deal on a car for the week. I can't remember the make but it was big enough for a family of 4 and can't remember the price because I am going senile :scared:
One thing I am dreading is driving in Canada (have enough difficulty in the UK!).
Old Sep 6th 2006, 8:38 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I was the one in the corner ...... may I come out too????

sniff, ........my fridge-freezer is poorly-sick, can it have some get-well-soon messages please? (and some get-well-cheaply! messages wouldn't go amiss either. I just paid a guy $72 to come out and tell me what was wrong with it! )
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:22 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I'm back again

Does anyone know if I can "rent" a car in Halifax then leave it at New Glasgow/Stellarton?

Thanks again

Emma
We are renting a car from downtown Halifax, then going up to New Glasgow and then dropping it off at the airport on the way home. We are flying with Zoom so used the car hire link on their website. All the websites seem to offer Halifax downtown and Halifax Airport. I did google other websites but they only offered as far north as the airport too!

If you go to www.yellowpages.ca there are a few car rentals in New Glasgow listed. Maybe you could contact them direct.
Old Sep 6th 2006, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emma

When went to Alberta in August we used Budget - Never again. Booke on internet for a MPV (double and triple checked I had chosen correct vehicle) when we went to pick it up they had allocated us a saloon ! Wouldn't have bothered but this is the second time that they have got the car type wrong.

Had a panic 2 hours before we flew as we couldn't find our paper licences (we both have picture ones) so we thought they wouldnn't allow us to have to vehicle. We had no problem with picture licence and a credit card never even asked for the paper part.

Would use this company again but we have used Alamo in the US who were brill and Hertz in Canada who were also really good - god knows why we ever went to Budget

Gaynor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.