Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in Canada

Hiring a car in Canada

Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:32 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiring a car in Canada

Hello,

Was going to hire a car when I go to NS in October can anyone tell me of any good car hire companies and what types of identification will I need, I know I'll need my card licence but would I need my paper licence too? Does anyone know if car hire is expensive in Canada also? Any help appreciated, I'm not sure if I'll be okay with the driving on the other side of the road but I am a confident driver anyone have any tips? lol

Emma x

Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:37 am
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hiring a car in Canada

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Hello,

Was going to hire a car when I go to NS in October can anyone tell me of any good car hire companies and what types of identification will I need, I know I'll need my card licence but would I need my paper licence too? Does anyone know if car hire is expensive in Canada also? Any help appreciated, I'm not sure if I'll be okay with the driving on the other side of the road but I am a confident driver anyone have any tips? lol

Emma x

It's much easier to drive in Canada. I'm fine as I don't know my lefts from my rights so I adapt easily, but the roads are wider, there is (generally) less traffic and people do seem to be a little less quick to harrass you. If you drive in Edinburgh and have managed to take on board all the recent changes, you'll find Canada a breeze.

Bring all of your licence & a credit card. The firm I hired my car last Oct through went bust, but they were very cheap so not unexpected.

Use a credit card to book major things like this and you are protected if they do go bust.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Emma x

We used an online agent www.fifteen02.com got a very good deal this summer. You'll need both parts of your driving licence and a credit card, thats all.

I find driving in NS difficult initially, as there is so little traffic to follow!!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by yonk
but the roads are wider, there is (generally) less traffic and people do seem to be a little less quick to harrass you. If you drive in Edinburgh and have managed to take on board all the recent changes, you'll find Canada a breeze.
he he thats true about Edinburgh and I used to drive a double decker playbus through those tiny streets too so I guess I'll be fine lol Did you ever see through the streets in Edinburgh a big purple bus with an octopus on the side well that was me.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:34 am
Account Closed

he he thats true about Edinburgh and I used to drive a double decker playbus through those tiny streets too so I guess I'll be fine lol Did you ever see through the streets in Edinburgh a big purple bus with an octopus on the side well that was me.
I've seen it parked in Inverleith?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:56 am

I've seen it parked in Inverleith?
YES thats the one they moved there last year to new offices opposite the park how cool is that???? lol
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:58 am

YES thats the one they moved there last year to new offices opposite the park how cool is that???? lol
I have a picture of it if anyone is interested but I'll need help on how to put it on the site xx
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:04 am
Account Closed

I have a picture of it if anyone is interested but I'll need help on how to put it on the site xx
Open the page where you write a message, Click on Manage attachments - it's below where you write the message, click on Browse to get the file, then Upload, wait a bit until it's complete and Submit.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:41 pm

Open the page where you write a message, Click on Manage attachments - it's below where you write the message, click on Browse to get the file, then Upload, wait a bit until it's complete and Submit.
The first pic is the old bus then the second pic is the new bus which they got in 2005 enjoy x
Attached Thumbnails Hiring a car in Canada-octobus.jpg   Hiring a car in Canada-dscn5038.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:53 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Hello,

Emma x
I've read the other replies already but I am pretty sure when I was on a similar topic a few months ago an "International Driving Permit" was also mentioned. Maybe someone who knows for definite could confirm this or not ?

And no one has replied to the question on costs but I guess you could get a good idea if you go to one of the Big Boys websites like Hertz, Alamo, Avis, etc

Okay just done a search on airportrentalcars.com and its come up with US$358 for 2 weeks, a Chevy Compact Cavalier Car All Inclusive from Halifax Airport with one of the Big 5 rental co's. Didn't say whether that was incl local taxes though. Also what they call a Gold Rate deal for the same car but US$475, incl all taxes and one other driver.

Last edited by Garfielduk; Jul 7th 2006 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:31 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
I've read the other replies already but I am pretty sure when I was on a similar topic a few months ago an "International Driving Permit" was also mentioned. Maybe someone who knows for definite could confirm this or not ?

And no one has replied to the question on costs but I guess you could get a good idea if you go to one of the Big Boys websites like Hertz, Alamo, Avis, etc

Okay just done a search on airportrentalcars.com and its come up with US$358 for 2 weeks, a Chevy Compact Cavalier Car All Inclusive from Halifax Airport with one of the Big 5 rental co's. Didn't say whether that was incl local taxes though. Also what they call a Gold Rate deal for the same car but US$475, incl all taxes and one other driver.

When I was coming on research trips to Canada I only needed my UK License (both photo card and counterpart) plus a credit card. I only visited Ontario where an International License is NOT required...sorry but not sure of other parts in Canada but any car rental firm should be able to advice you on this.

As to costs .... as i normally hired a larger vehicle (minivan) I found it, in general, expensive. I remember going to LA for a holiday last year where I found states to be a lot cheaper!

Remember to ask about insurance and "waiver free damage" i.e. no access liability if you crash!

Rgds
mans
Old Jul 7th 2006, 9:54 pm
Account Closed

The first pic is the old bus then the second pic is the new bus which they got in 2005 enjoy x
Thx, that's not Inverleith!

Pilton?

It looks like you won't need an IDP.

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/goi...untries_needed
Old Jul 8th 2006, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Hello,

Emma x

When I used to rent a car in Canada on trips over here, I would use Canadian Affair. They would do all-in packages with the big-boy hire companies for a reasonable amount.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:20 am

Thx, that's not Inverleith!

Pilton?

It looks like you won't need an IDP.

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/knowhow/goi...untries_needed
No it's actually Dumbie Dykes, the bus used to go to socially deprived areas you see.... x
Old Jul 8th 2006, 3:52 am
Account Closed

No it's actually Dumbie Dykes, the bus used to go to socially deprived areas you see.... x
I realised that, I was trying to work out which set of tenements! And teasing mildly, in that it's parked in leafy Inverleith but that photo wasn't taken there.

I wonder how many people come to Edinburgh and never realise there are areas like Niddrie, Pilton & Westerhailes?

My last job used to take me out to Westerhailes a lot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.