Reload this Page >

High BP and forward planning for MEDS

High BP and forward planning for MEDS

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: High BP and forward planning for MEDS

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm confused a Holter monitor is an ambulatory ECG device it does not measure BP.
You are of course quite right, Holter monitor is for ECG. I was thinking about IHD, not Blood pressure.

For Blood pressure an ambulatory blood pressure monitor would have been good enough with 24-48 hours of reading to see if it was white coat or true Hypertension.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chumley
dont have a GP but a lovely local Canadian doc helped me out as a favour all 10 readings over 3 months were perfect
plus bought my own BP monitor for home use which also shows perfect readings every time

reason I did all this was because I got myself so worked up over the meds I have been stressing about them for months

so nothing to solve really other than the insurance of having a docs letter made this part of the med stress free
so reason for starting this thread was to share this for others like me

good luck to all Med panic types
do you have any history of diabetes though?

in that case even with a normal blood pressure you may have some benefit in using an Ace Inhibitor like Ramipril. (This does not constitute medical advice).
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
do you have any history of diabetes though?

in that case even with a normal blood pressure you may have some benefit in using an Ace Inhibitor like Ramipril. (This does not constitute medical advice).
think you must be mixing me up with another poster??

no nothing at all

never spent a single day in hospital in 48 years nothing more then the odd sniffle but that didnt stop me worrying about meds!
as do most of us on here its natural to be aprehensive about something so important surely??
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

think you must be mixing me up with another poster??

no nothing at all

never spent a single day in hospital in 48 years nothing more then the odd sniffle but that didnt stop me worrying about meds!
as do most of us on here its natural to be aprehensive about something so important surely??
No not mixing you up, just that quite a few studies have shown that even if you're normotensive (normal BP) there is a benefit for using BP medication if you have a history of diabetes.

I can understand why you'd be anxious, but really BP medications have relatively few side effects compared to other medications.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdnexpat
No not mixing you up, just that quite a few studies have shown that even if you're normotensive (normal BP) there is a benefit for using BP medication if you have a history of diabetes.

I can understand why you'd be anxious, but really BP medications have relatively few side effects compared to other medications.
no diabetes im pleased to say
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

no diabetes im pleased to say
Glad to hear it!

BTW White coat is quite common, some studies say 30-40% patient get it.

That's probably why in Oz they don't where white coats anymore...so maybe it should be called suit and tie