Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi from a newbie on the way to Vancouver Island

Hi from a newbie on the way to Vancouver Island

Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:39 am
Just Joined

emjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hi from a newbie on the way to Vancouver Island

Nice to see so many brits in Nanaimo...specially the northerners tho nothing wrong with those sounding like Vicky Pollard, as long as you don't look like her!

Good luck Sabden Tom - hope its not too long 'till you are over. My son is 14 months and its exactly what we want for him too - he's the reason we decided to move back to canada.

Oh and I love Nanaimo bars - perhaps a little too much actually!

Anyway back to the packing - tho still haven't booked a shipping company so dunno how its all going to get there but hey ho!!

Em
Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:11 am
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjh
Nice to see so many brits in Nanaimo...specially the northerners tho nothing wrong with those sounding like Vicky Pollard, as long as you don't look like her!

Em
Well, thats a matter of opinion!!

Have you got yourselves a place to stay when you get here?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:18 am
Just Joined

better put those pink tracksuits away

Currently searching for holiday homes (as we need fully furnished) for the first few months until our furniture arrives have found a few but most are so expensive or if not, tiny. What did you do? Did you have to wait for furniture?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

sabden tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya all,

I have to admit we haven't had the (dis)pleasure of a Nanaimo bar yet but I'll put it on the list of things to do when we land!! If I end up buying in bulk and I don't like them, I'll donate them to emjh.

Sans - 3 months from meds is the timeline we've been given so we're working towards that - fingers crossed the house sells so we can move sooner rather than later. So, 1 year in and loving it!?

Meet ups will be great and I agree with emjh, they shouldn't and wouldn't be on a northerners only basis - where would the fun be in that!! I'm assuming you don't look like Vicky Pollard Bananahammock but if you do (in some opinions), then hey.... erm, good for you

...As we are still waiting for our visas, house to sell etc., I expect we'll have some catching up to do re meet-ups when we do land but we'll try and make up for it

Good luck with the move emjh

Andrea
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rlogan
Anyone not eaten a Nanaimo Bar yet??
errr never heard of them..?? what do they look like..?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:51 am
Bristolish expat

bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
errr never heard of them..?? what do they look like..?
Like this .................... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:58 am
Bristolish expat

better put those pink tracksuits away

Currently searching for holiday homes (as we need fully furnished) for the first few months until our furniture arrives have found a few but most are so expensive or if not, tiny. What did you do? Did you have to wait for furniture?
Probably not much use to you but the people we rented from have 3 properties .............. although they are all occupied at the moment one couple are in the process of buying a house so may vacate one of his houses pretty soon, I just rang him & asked him to let me know if it's empty soon, I'll PM you his number if it's available but hopefully you will find something in the meantime

We waited for our furniture & had it delivered the day we moved into our house.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:17 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sabden tom
Hiya all,

I have to admit we haven't had the (dis)pleasure of a Nanaimo bar yet but I'll put it on the list of things to do when we land!! If I end up buying in bulk and I don't like them, I'll donate them to emjh.

Sans - 3 months from meds is the timeline we've been given so we're working towards that - fingers crossed the house sells so we can move sooner rather than later. So, 1 year in and loving it!?

Meet ups will be great and I agree with emjh, they shouldn't and wouldn't be on a northerners only basis - where would the fun be in that!! I'm assuming you don't look like Vicky Pollard Bananahammock but if you do (in some opinions), then hey.... erm, good for you

...As we are still waiting for our visas, house to sell etc., I expect we'll have some catching up to do re meet-ups when we do land but we'll try and make up for it

Good luck with the move emjh

Andrea
I did say Nanaimo meet ups (teasingly) for the benefit of 1 or 2 in the sth of the island, who rather have not read the thread or haven't taken the bait.
Not been here a year only been here since April, we landed last year and returned to the UK to hopefully sell house, which is still not off my hands, but after mths of being messed about by potential buyers, decided to come and rent before we went totally gar-gar.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 5:30 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Hi sans...my son is a little younger than your two at only 14 months!

Ski bunny- where are you from in Wirral? How long have you been in Victoria?

Hello to everyone else and thanks for welcoming me - perhaps now I will feel brave enough to venture over to some other boards/threads!
I'm from Meols, nr Hoylake. Me & H lived in Lancs before we moved, but my immediate family are still in Wirral. We arrived in Canada in April and moved to Victoria early June. It took a few weeks to find jobs and stuff, but now we have settled surprisingly quickly. We love it here!
Where abouts in Wirral are you from?
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks bananahammock - i'd really appreciate it if he has anything available. (I'm assuming they would be furnished?) We may have somewhere but its a little out of town and I won't have a car initially so hoping to find something a bit closer so I don't become a recluse!

Skibunny we live in Prenton and I mostly grew up in Bebington - however moved to the Okanagan with my family for 10 years in my teen years (long story!) We're looking forward to getting away from here tho as its not where we want our son to grow up at all. We've never really been to the ISland (hubby has been when he was younger) so we're really looking forward to spending lots of time looking around. Glad you settled in fast that gives me hope that it won't be too hard for us!

Sabden Tom - any Nanaimo bar donations glady accepted!!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bananahammock
Like this .................... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar
hmm that looks and sounds yummy...but i am taking ..it's not.??????
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we live in the Cowichan Valley between Nanaimo and Victoria and love it! Vancouver Islanders are very welcoming and quite laid back and I'm sure you will settle in nicely. As for Nanimo Bars I like them but then I have to admit to having a sweet tooth! Good luck with everything.