Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hi, I am New and Need advice please!!!

Hi, I am New and Need advice please!!!

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Taolut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi, I am New and Need advice please!!!

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading posts for a while and I must say I have learnt a whole lot on here, thanks to everyone .
basically I was wondering if anyone can help me, I hold a Bsc in Computer Science and have been accepted to a college in Toronto for post graduate certificate in Information systems business analyst.

I am about to apply for visa and I'm a bit worried , my situation is, I have two children who will be accompanying me, i have been a single mum since 2009, I have court papers that gives me residence and also i have gotten a consent letter/agreement signed by their dad allowing me take them with me. I have more than enough funds to over school fees and living expenses in my account, which has been saved for over two years, and lastly we are all british passport holders.

I have been to Canada on two occasions last year oct for 7 days and dis year Jan for 10 days.

I'm a bit worried as VO might thing I'm going with children.

Is there any other thing I can do to strengthen my case?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, I am New and Need advice please!!!

Originally Posted by Taolut
Hi Everyone,
I have been reading posts for a while and I must say I have learnt a whole lot on here, thanks to everyone .
basically I was wondering if anyone can help me, I hold a Bsc in Computer Science and have been accepted to a college in Toronto for post graduate certificate in Information systems business analyst.

I am about to apply for visa and I'm a bit worried , my situation is, I have two children who will be accompanying me, i have been a single mum since 2009, I have court papers that gives me residence and also i have gotten a consent letter/agreement signed by their dad allowing me take them with me. I have more than enough funds to over school fees and living expenses in my account, which has been saved for over two years, and lastly we are all british passport holders.

I have been to Canada on two occasions last year oct for 7 days and dis year Jan for 10 days.

I'm a bit worried as VO might thing I'm going with children.

Is there any other thing I can do to strengthen my case?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Strengthen what case? What is a VO? From what you say you are going with children, so anyone 'thinking' this would be correct would they not?
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE,

Who or what is VO?

It seems you should be OK to take the kids from what you have posted. Depending on age they would probably need study permits too.

Good luck, you are braver than me!
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thnks for the reply, By VO I meant Visa officer sorry.
And I was thinking of proving ties to the UK as I am going with the kids.

Thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:44 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thnks for the reply, By VO I meant Visa officer sorry.
And I was thinking of proving ties to the UK as I am going with the kids.

Thanks
If you have written consent from the father and have a study permit for your course worked out I think all you would need is perhaps study permits to allow them to stay here as students themselves.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
If you have written consent from the father and have a study permit for your course worked out I think all you would need is perhaps study permits to allow them to stay here as students themselves.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, yes I have his written consent but I have not gotten a study permit for myself, I am just about to apply for myself and the kids.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Right

I think I need to give an update to my application I case it might be of any help to any other person in the same position.

I took my application into the London office for a drop box on Friday the 26th octo for my study permit and an open permit for my 6 years old son. I included all out passports photocopy including my 5 year old which I did not include an application for open permit for as it states on their website it's only needed from 6 years.

Saturday the 3rd nov, my whole package came back in the return envelop I included, with a note that it was received Monday the 29 and treated we'd the 30 th.

It was sent back stating I did not include a study permit fees and application for my 5 year old even though it states on their website and checklist that its not needed.

Anyway I have filled the form, made the payment and sent it back the same day and it has been received on Monday.

It was pretty fast and I'm happy I did not have to wait long before I was returned.

Has anyone been in this position and how long after did they receive a decision?

My advice is include study permit for every child to avoid delay.

I'm anxiously waiting now and would like to hear from anyone who has had this type of experience.

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:06 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Right

I think I need to give an update to my application I case it might be of any help to any other person in the same position.

I took my application into the London office for a drop box on Friday the 26th octo for my study permit and an open permit for my 6 years old son. I included all out passports photocopy including my 5 year old which I did not include an application for open permit for as it states on their website it's only needed from 6 years.

Saturday the 3rd nov, my whole package came back in the return envelop I included, with a note that it was received Monday the 29 and treated we'd the 30 th.

It was sent back stating I did not include a study permit fees and application for my 5 year old even though it states on their website and checklist that its not needed.

Anyway I have filled the form, made the payment and sent it back the same day and it has been received on Monday.

It was pretty fast and I'm happy I did not have to wait long before I was returned.

Has anyone been in this position and how long after did they receive a decision?

My advice is include study permit for every child to avoid delay.

I'm anxiously waiting now and would like to hear from anyone who has had this type of experience.

Thanks
You have to show that you have sufficient ties in the UK to return. So how did you show this? Family? house ownership? How long is the course? I know things have changed recently re Canadian experience so perhaps they are more lenient in this aspect. They also want to know why you are studying in Canada, why the course can't be done in the UK.

We came on a student visa while we had PR in progress so it was obvious that we wanted to stay. We put in a letter, oath thingy, saying that out aim was to stay but that we understood that if PR was not granted we would have to return once the student visa expired. We got the visa with no trouble.

BTW you neee MUCH more money than they say you need to survive here. We scraped by those 2 years and that was with MOH working and with me working part time.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
You have to show that you have sufficient ties in the UK to return. So how did you show this? Family? house ownership? How long is the course? I know things have changed recently re Canadian experience so perhaps they are more lenient in this aspect. They also want to know why you are studying in Canada, why the course can't be done in the UK.

We came on a student visa while we had PR in progress so it was obvious that we wanted to stay. We put in a letter, oath thingy, saying that out aim was to stay but that we understood that if PR was not granted we would have to return once the student visa expired. We got the visa with no trouble.

BTW you neee MUCH more money than they say you need to survive here. We scraped by those 2 years and that was with MOH working and with me working part time.
thanks for the reply.
With ties to the UK, I had a bit of problem with that and what I needed up using is the fact I that the boys dad will be here in the UK. We have a court custody and contact order in place and we drafted an agreement signed by both parties that I was free to take them and that we would return to the UK after studies so i said I will def be returning to avoiding breaching the contract and the court order, I hope that will be sufficient though Alongside my numerous accounts and financial ties to the UK.

The course is a one year postgraduate course in George Brown College, I actually backed up my wanting to go there by stating the major differences in the course offered here and the one in Toronto in my SOP and also the fact that I was in Canada last year and had the opportunity to visit the school, speak to professors and students currently enrolled on the course and I was very impressed.

Money I don't think will be a problem as I have put aside more than enough funds for the course and living over there.

I just hope I get a positive response.

How is your experience? Would u recommend the big move!

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2012, 5:54 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply.
With ties to the UK, I had a bit of problem with that and what I needed up using is the fact I that the boys dad will be here in the UK. We have a court custody and contact order in place and we drafted an agreement signed by both parties that I was free to take them and that we would return to the UK after studies so i said I will def be returning to avoiding breaching the contract and the court order, I hope that will be sufficient though Alongside my numerous accounts and financial ties to the UK.

The course is a one year postgraduate course in George Brown College, I actually backed up my wanting to go there by stating the major differences in the course offered here and the one in Toronto in my SOP and also the fact that I was in Canada last year and had the opportunity to visit the school, speak to professors and students currently enrolled on the course and I was very impressed.

Money I don't think will be a problem as I have put aside more than enough funds for the course and living over there.

I just hope I get a positive response.

How is your experience? Would u recommend the big move!

Thanks
We've been here 6 years and it took a while to settle in, 4, 5 years. Hard to say about recommending the move. We didn't have children so that made it easier but it is hard when elderly parents are back in the UK. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse, just different.
Are you hoping to stay here?? or is this just for the year?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bats
We've been here 6 years and it took a while to settle in, 4, 5 years. Hard to say about recommending the move. We didn't have children so that made it easier but it is hard when elderly parents are back in the UK. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse, just different.
Are you hoping to stay here?? or is this just for the year?
I am looking to settle finally if possible. I think I am we'll prepared for the move, it's very important for me to move away from so many things and some memories.
Hopefully it all works out well, fingers crossed
Old Nov 7th 2012, 7:11 pm
limey party pooper

I am looking to settle finally if possible. I think I am we'll prepared for the move, it's very important for me to move away from so many things and some memories.
Hopefully it all works out well, fingers crossed
Good luck to you. I hope it all works out. I think it's easier when you are younger but then it won't be easy going back to school with two kids in tow.