Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

HGV drivers in canada

HGV drivers in canada

Old Sep 19th 2015, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Lornak13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HGV drivers in canada

Hi just wanted to ask if HGV driving is a needed skill in Canada , this is my husbands job and he has many years experience both driving in Britain and Europe .
Thanks in advance
Lorna
Old Sep 19th 2015, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HGV drivers in canada

It is, but unfortunately very few employers are sponsoring LMIA's for trucker at the moment.

Have a look at the truckers section of the forum for more info.

You're aware that even if your husband did manage to get a job offer and LMIA, as his job is classed as unskilled you wouldn't get a work permit? It's just that I note from your other thread that you're a nurse and so wasn't sure if you'd be happy not being able to work?
Old Sep 19th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Plenty of trucking work here but it would appear that the authorities would like more canadians to do the job as opposed to importing labour
Old Sep 21st 2015, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

There are LMIAs available now but there are also plenty of TFWs in the trucking industry changing jobs so that there isn't a need to go outside of Canada to recruit at the moment.
That may change in the future though.
Why go to the expense of flying in a new driver when there's a TFW already here, already licensed etc and all they have to do is get them a new LMIA ?

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Sep 21st 2015 at 5:36 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
There are LMIAs available now but there are also plenty of TFWs in the trucking industry changing jobs so that there isn't a need to go outside of Canada to recruit at the moment.
That may change in the future though.
Why go to the expense of flying in a new driver when there's a TFW already here, already licensed etc and all they have to do is get them a new LMIA ?
Where's these LMIA's available now ?
Old Sep 24th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

H&R had some, Bison had some. Alliance had some, i was told BFS had some.
I have brokers working for me that have their own LMIAs but no openings at the moment
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
H&R had some, Bison had some. Alliance had some, i was told BFS had some.
I have brokers working for me that have their own LMIAs but no openings at the moment
H&R & TransX had a few only for existing drivers in Canada.
Bison haven't had any for a long while and have told 3 drivers that I know of that the earliest they may apply for some again is next April.
Last time you said Alliance had some, I put a driver onto them and they told him they don't have any and they are not likely to get any.
BFS don't mention LMIA's on their website whereas before they did.
What's this about brokers bit, I don't understand it ?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brokers = Guys who own two or three trucks but have them here the same as an owner op, two have set up themselves to get LMIAs
I know there where only a small amount of LMIAs so likely used them.
next time i talk to the owner of Alliance i'll ask him about their LMIAs
As for BFS Murray has quit and gone to Searcy and haven't heard who's the new recruiter there yet to find out their situation, next time i'm in MB i'll pay them a visit.