Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Edgemont/Capilano or Caulfeild?

Edgemont/Capilano or Caulfeild?

Old Sep 28th 2015, 12:35 pm
Hoolia

Hoolia15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Vancouver - Edgemont/Capilano or Caulfeild?

Hello and firstly, let me say thanks for taking time out of your day to answer a total stranger's questions about commuting times, community life, etc.

I am moving back to Canada with my family (my husband got his PR in the summer) and we hope to move by April 2016, as we are waiting on his job offer.

We have narrowed it down to two areas we really like and could happily live in but I have a few reservations about each of them, so here goes:

Edgemont/Capilano area -
Now I know it rains in Van, not a problem coming from the UK, but as everyone writes about the microclimates that exist, is it really 'wetter' in Edgemont than downtown Van or Caulfeild in west van for example? Or do you have to live further north of Capilano to experience the feeling of more rain/damp etc.
I heard they are in the process of earthquake proofing the schools which could cause disruption to our two (7 and 5 now).
How long is the commute to say Robson St at 7:30am?

Caulfeild area
How long is the commute to again, Robson St at 7:30am? We will need to drive as the car is needed throughout the day so no Blue Bus for us
Is there a lively enough community in this area? We are sailors and like the idea of cycling/walking the beach / boat and it seem a bit more open, as in you can see more sky than in North Van.

I would be very grateful for your thoughts on my questions

Last edited by Hoolia15; Sep 28th 2015 at 12:42 pm. Reason: forgot to put Vancouver in the title
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Edgemont/Capilano or Caulfeild?

Hi the rain here is significantly more than the UK so don't be surprised. From Edgemont you can get the 246 bus to downtown. At that time in the morning, it usually takes about 30-40 minutes. Driving about the same depending on the traffic on the bridge.

There are quite a few Elementary schools nearby and a couple of secondary only one of which I (or my kids) have experience of (good).

Lots of walking and outdoor activities available.

I'm not keen on West Van so not a good person to respond to this bit!

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 28th 2015 at 1:18 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:20 pm
Hoolia

Hi thanks for your reply. Does it take the same amount of time driving from Edgemont? I only ask as I've read that the Blue Bus from West Van takes the priority lane over the bridge and I am not sure if the bus from N Van does the same? (we will have to drive into work).

Is Wandsworth's better grading a true reflection? (judging only from the Fraser Institute rankings).
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:20 pm
Hoolia

sorry that is meant to say 'Handsworth'
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

All buses take priority getting onto the bridge. Most of the time you'll be OK driving at that time in the morning but I'd say it's marginally quicker on the bus.

I have mainly only good things to say about Handsworth and am very pleased my kids both went there although the building is a bit old. The other nearby school is Carson Graham. They do the IB there (I think).

There are other secondary schools around too. Late French immersion is a possibility (which we didn't choose because we had only just emigrated). No idea about West Van schools so can't help there.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 28th 2015 at 1:34 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:33 pm
Hoolia

Would you mind if I ask what you don't like about West Van? We had ruled it out as we didn't think we could afford to live there but there are houses in Caulfeild and surrounding areas that we can afford (just as with the areas in North Van). Don't feel you have to answer - your previous comments are appreciated!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

West Van has a bit too much 'wealth on display' for me. You might like how it is. It's just not my cup of tea. I go there for different things including walking on the beach etc. but wouldn't want to live there. It might suit you though!

I like Lonsdale (upper, central and lower) a lot too.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 28th 2015 at 1:40 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 3:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Vancouver - Edgemont/Capilano or Caulfeild?

Originally Posted by Hoolia15
Edgemont/Capilano area -
Now I know it rains in Van, not a problem coming from the UK, but as everyone writes about the microclimates that exist, is it really 'wetter' in Edgemont than downtown Van or Caulfeild in west van for example? Or do you have to live further north of Capilano to experience the feeling of more rain/damp etc.
You will not notice much difference in the rainfall in Caulfeild and Edgemont. Both have roughly double the rainfall of Downtown Vancouver.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes the rain was a huge shock the first year I moved. You need the right gear. Of course the kids insisted on going to school in their converses and getting soaked. In the end I just let them. You might have better luck though as your kids are younger!

S
Old Sep 28th 2015, 4:26 pm
Hoolia

Rain is something we will just have to live with then! We originally thought we could live in White Rock but it is just too far to commute. Would you know how long it takes to drive to downtown from Caulfeild during rush hour? Is it any longer than coming in from Edgemont for example?
Old Sep 28th 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm afraid I can't answer that with any reliability but definitely a fair bit longer than from Edgemont which would be more or less the time frame I told you. Try it on Google maps. I can't try this for you atm as I'm sitting in a cafe in Toronto on my phone with limited data! (Usually I do live in North Van!).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 28th 2015 at 6:00 pm.