Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Helpful Advice Needed

Helpful Advice Needed

Old May 10th 2011, 12:22 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helpful Advice Needed

Back in 2007 I changed employer. In order to get the TWP for the new employer I "Flagpoled" at the Cornwall border crossing to get my new permit.

The new permit side of things went without a hitch but the problem arises from US Customs. When I exited Canada and got to the US side I told them I just wanted to turn around (without entering the US) and go back to Canada, collect the new TWP and be on my way. Unfortunately, this involved 20-30 minutes of paperwork on the US side. Customs apparently had to issue a "technical" refusal of entry which they said would not appear on my record.

Fast forward to 2010, I'm of to a conference in Phoenix and (approved ESTA in hand) am in customs in Minneapolis Airport. I declare that I've not been refused entry to the US on the green form and am "invited" for a chat with the customs supervisor to explain why I was refused entry in 2007!!. After 2 hours of explaining I am admitted and am told they'll sort out the record.

2011 of to the same conference (Cincinnati this time) and with the (updated) ESTA still valid, I'm back in Minneapolis Airport and the damn refusal is still on my record. This customs supervisor says they can't do anything at their end to sort this out. ( I was admitted, but at some point I'll get a "jobsworth" who'll delight in shipping me back to Canada)

Does anyone know the best way of sorting this out and getting my record corrected?
Old May 10th 2011, 1:39 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helpful Advice Needed

Might be worth asking on the us boards but I think there is a scheme called TRIP or something which allows you to correct incorrect information
Old May 10th 2011, 8:25 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helpful Advice Needed

This also is important information for others who repeatedly post on here that it is OK to flagpole and get a technical refusal of entry from the US.
I have seen many threads where this has been argued.
I certainly will not be advising my husband to flagpole to the US to "land" in this way, although he is almost as close to the US border as it is possible to be!
Spread this news!