Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chelsea vs Aylmer Quebec?

Chelsea vs Aylmer Quebec?

Old May 9th 2011, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chelsea vs Aylmer Quebec?

Hi there

Having visited both places last week and now back in the UK, I am envisioning The Lake District with black bears vs the outskirts of Watford with Desperate Housewives (both of which have their pros and cons, I hasten to add.)

Does anyone know anyone with children living in either Chelsea or Aylmer that they could put me in touch with? I would like to understand more about what day to day life is like....

Thanks

TM
Old May 9th 2011, 1:09 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chelsea vs Aylmer Quebec?

Originally Posted by Tango Mike
Hi there

Having visited both places last week and now back in the UK, I am envisioning The Lake District with black bears vs the outskirts of Watford with Desperate Housewives (both of which have their pros and cons, I hasten to add.)

Does anyone know anyone with children living in either Chelsea or Aylmer that they could put me in touch with? I would like to understand more about what day to day life is like....

Thanks

TM
You won't get any joy out of this question. I am the only BE poster on the Dark Side and my kids have flown the nest.

You really cannot compare Chelsea with Aylmer.

Chelsea is a municipality covering over 40 square miles and with a population of about 7,000. It's not a town; apart from Old Chelsea, it isn't even a village. You're looking at houses with lots of land. People commute to Ottawa.

Aylmer, while part of Gatineau, is effectively a small town. Smaller in land area than Chelsea but with a population of well over 40,000. People commute to Ottawa.
Old May 9th 2011, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Souvy
You won't get any joy out of this question. I am the only BE poster on the Dark Side and my kids have flown the nest.

You really cannot compare Chelsea with Aylmer.

Chelsea is a municipality covering over 40 square miles and with a population of about 7,000. It's not a town; apart from Old Chelsea, it isn't even a village. You're looking at houses with lots of land. People commute to Ottawa.

Aylmer, while part of Gatineau, is effectively a small town. Smaller in land area than Chelsea but with a population of well over 40,000. People commute to Ottawa.
I would say that Chelsea is considered to be an Anglo area in Quebec... home of big lots, beautiful homes, great hiking, quaint shops. Alymer is essentially on the Ottawa River (or close to it) and more of a suburb of Hull (Gatineau). Very close to downtown. It depends on what your lifestyle wishes are.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:45 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tango Mike
Hi there

Thanks

TM
Hi

I can ask a friend who lives in Alymer (with kids) if they wouldn't mind answering some questions in an email and I'll PM you their details if they are ok to do that.

Cheers

JB0591
Old May 10th 2011, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Location: In the wilds of Chelsea, Québec but only 15 mins from Ottawa...
Tango Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Souvy & Lilipuddlian - your comments are borne out by our research and visits. It is not really a case of trying to compare them, I realise this is not possible - more a case of us trying to work out which lifestyle would suit us best and for different reasons, it could be one or the other. And as the kids are only 5 & 2, we are trying to project ahead for them...... But we will work it out and this will be greatly helped for my part by speaking with other families that live there. So yes, JB, that would be fantastic if you wouldn't mind.

Regards to all.