Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:59 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

The business could qualify for self-employment if the OP chooses to apply for a work permit instead of the self-employed visa.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Also, you say you can't afford a visit before you leave, so are you definitely sure you can afford to move? It costs tens of thousands for the average family to emigrate, and frankly a recce trip is a drop in the ocean, and definitely money well spent to avoid making a very costly mistake.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
We went to see different parts of Ontario ( my husband has family in Ottawa so we wanted to stay at least in more or less driving distance) At last we decided that Ottawa was best for us and he applied for a job, got it and the rest you know.
If you don't mind me asking, when you say you have no funds to do a recce trip, do you think you'll be ok to fund the move?
I defo agree that you should come out and have a look and really the move is expensive (flights, shipping, deposit for house and first rent, some gas/hydro companies will take deposits as you are new here, car, car insurance etc.) so getting a flight with Thomas Cook or Air transat for maybe £1000 return could save you thousands or a hard time if you moved to the wrong area.
Winter is harsh here so you have to like this. Rural can be sometimes quite far out. Distances are different to the UK.
We could probably drive 8 hours and still be in Ontario.
I don't want to scare you off, don't get me wrong but it is a big decision and things seem sometimes different in books or internet than they really are(for the better or worse).
Like I said I really like it here and think it was the right decision but it's not always easy.
Nina
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:14 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by piplib
Hi, My name is Pip and my family and I are wanting to move to either Ontario or British Columbia from the Uk. After looking into the process I have realised there is soooo much we do not know yet. I would love to hear from anyone who has already moved and can tell me their story.

Thanks. x
I think this post is a must read for many of those new to the process, and are having difficulty with decisions.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=129