Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Wikiposts

Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

piplib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Hi, My name is Pip and my family and I are wanting to move to either Ontario or British Columbia from the Uk. After looking into the process I have realised there is soooo much we do not know yet. I would love to hear from anyone who has already moved and can tell me their story.

Thanks. x
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:18 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help... want to move to Canada but getting cold feet.

Hi Piplib and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

I can't answer your questions directly I'm afraid but knowing BE, people will be along soon to help you.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:54 am
Just Joined

longingforcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by piplib
Hi, My name is Pip and my family and I are wanting to move to either Ontario or British Columbia from the Uk. After looking into the process I have realised there is soooo much we do not know yet. I would love to hear from anyone who has already moved and can tell me their story.

Thanks. x
Hi Pip and family and welcome to British Expats.

I have also started looking through the masses of information out there on relocation to Canada. It would be good to see what information the lovely BE community have for us 'newbies'.

Is there any specific questions you have? Do you have a preference between ON and BC? I ask because I spent 12 months in both Toronto and British Columbia, so if I can answer any questions relating to either province, please give me a yell.

Nick
Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pip, and welcome to the forum.

If you go to the 'Canniversary' section of the forum, you'll find loads of moving stories and info about how people are finding life in Canada.

You first step will need to be figuring out which visa you may be eligible for, so have a look at the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) for that. You may have to go elsewhere rather than BC or ON to get a visa, so don't focus too much on any province just yet.

Old Aug 8th 2010, 5:21 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. x
Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of people on here who have moved and settled in well. On the flip side, some have not settled to so well. There is a lot (huge amount) to do. If one is motivated enough you can do it no problem. My advice, decide if it is something you really want to do, if it is, just deal with each stage at a time, don't try and do the whole thing at once. It can quickly engulf you.
  • Read the Wiki articles on this site
  • If it is something you want to do, don't be put off by nay sayers
  • Use Google a lot
  • If you cannot find an answer ask a question on BE
  • Visit Canada before moving or maybe making a decision to get a feel for it
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:23 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly visit Canada at least a couple of times and get used to the look and feel of the place.
There is quite a lot to do to get over here, but that does not mean it is particularly difficult to do it - just a lot, so don't be put off by that. My advice in that respect is to take it all on board yourself and don't make the mistake some have done by getting one of these rip-off agencies to do things for you.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

Regarding the agencies; We did it all ourselves just fine. Take a little time, ask some questions here, be honest, be clear. Thanks largely to the administrative excellence of my wife to be, it all went through first time.

Go for it!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pip,

We have just moved 3 months ago from Manchester to Ottawa,ON and I slowly start to settle. My husband got offered a good job and so we went on a TWP and a pos. LMO and are just in the process of applying for PR.
As much as I still miss my family and friends I am certain I want to stay here.
The organization before, during and after is a lot but if you do it all step by step it is better than it first looks.
You should do some recce trips to Canada to find out where you would like to go and find out how to get over here.
Then write a list what you think/know is better here or worth moving and what would make you rather stay in the uk.
Involve the whole family as it is a big move for everyone. Even our 2 year old was complaining for 3 months that she missed her friends and was sad and just finds new friends.
Canadians are sometimes hard to make friends with. They are very friendly but quite reserved so it takes some time and effort.
To be honest the last 3 months I just wanted to go "home" but slowly I start feeling that this is my "home".
It is definitly worth all the stress and organizing. At least it was for us
Good luck
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Hi Pip,

We have just moved 3 months ago from Manchester to Ottawa,ON and I slowly start to settle. My husband got offered a good job and so we went on a TWP and a pos. LMO and are just in the process of applying for PR.
As much as I still miss my family and friends I am certain I want to stay here.
The organization before, during and after is a lot but if you do it all step by step it is better than it first looks.
You should do some recce trips to Canada to find out where you would like to go and find out how to get over here.
Then write a list what you think/know is better here or worth moving and what would make you rather stay in the uk.
Involve the whole family as it is a big move for everyone. Even our 2 year old was complaining for 3 months that she missed her friends and was sad and just finds new friends.
Canadians are sometimes hard to make friends with. They are very friendly but quite reserved so it takes some time and effort.
To be honest the last 3 months I just wanted to go "home" but slowly I start feeling that this is my "home".
It is definitly worth all the stress and organizing. At least it was for us
Good luck
Hi thanks for coming back to me. We would be moving on a self-employed Visa as I have my own business, this doesnt make me feel any more confident as starting again in a new country terrifies me. We will not be able to visit before moving as a lack of funds but we have been researching on the net for months. My 6yr old does not want to move as will miss friends and family but I have tried to reasure her that it will be fine. My family emigrated to Austrialia when I was 4. Unfortuntly it did not work out so I am not going into this blind. Too be honest I do think it is the right thing for my family but I am having trouble commiting and say YES lets do it. How did you choose the best place for your family? Did your husbands job make it easier for you to decide to move?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:24 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for coming back to me. We would be moving on a self-employed Visa as I have my own business
Self employed route had specific qualifications. What is your business?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by longingforcanada
Hi Pip and family and welcome to British Expats.

I have also started looking through the masses of information out there on relocation to Canada. It would be good to see what information the lovely BE community have for us 'newbies'.

Is there any specific questions you have? Do you have a preference between ON and BC? I ask because I spent 12 months in both Toronto and British Columbia, so if I can answer any questions relating to either province, please give me a yell.

Nick
Hi Nick. I would be interested in your opinions. Which Province do you feel offers the most for families from UK? We are looking for somewhere that offers us good work opportunities, somewhere with good schools and outdoor recreation. I will need to be in an area that I can set up my Nail Business, that also offers my husband (Ex Forces) a choice of work but is still semi rural. Is this too much to ask? We are looking at both BC and Ontario at the moment. I do have a friend who moved 4 yrs ago and would not move back to UK for love nor money. This is a good thing to hear.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:46 am

I can set up my Nail Business, that also offers my husband (Ex Forces) a choice of work but is still semi rural.
A nail business will not get you in as self employed.

You would need to fit one of the following:
  • participation at a world-class level in cultural activities or athletics
  • farm management experience or
  • self-employment in cultural activities or athletics
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I will need to be in an area that I can set up my Nail Business, that also offers my husband (Ex Forces) a choice of work but is still semi rural.
Are you sure you qualify under the Self-Employed route? For the life of me, I can't see how a 'nail business' can be anything other than either manicures, or hardware, and neither are qualifying businesses under Self Employed!

However, if you're sure that you definitely qualify, then I'd recommend you do a search on the forum for info on Ontario and BC, loads of previous threads that will have good info for you.

Also, you say you can't afford a visit before you leave, so are you definitely sure you can afford to move? It costs tens of thousands for the average family to emigrate, and frankly a recce trip is a drop in the ocean, and definitely money well spent to avoid making a very costly mistake.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you sure you qualify under the Self-Employed route? For the life of me, I can't see how a 'nail business' can be anything other than either manicures, or hardware, and neither are qualifying businesses under Self Employed!
It won't qualify for SE entry.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 5:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by The Aviator
It won't qualify for SE entry.
I don't think so either, but I'm assuming she's researched and made sure she's definitely eligible for the visa, so perhaps when she says 'nail business' she means 'business making crafts out of nails which comes under Artisans and Craftpersons' or something?!?

Also, the self-employed route can be anything you've done within a certain number of years (as long as you have at least two years experience doing it), so perhaps she's planning on applying under a previous business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.