Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help Needed WP/ NS

Help Needed WP/ NS

Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future
Default Help Needed WP/ NS

Hi,
We are british but currently living in France..
Husband has a job offer in Halifax NS, I thought it was down to the new employer to arrange the WP, but have just spoken to the immigration office in Halifax and they have said that we need to apply for wp from either France or UK..
Really confused..
Any Help would be appreciated,
Thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help Needed WP/ NS

Originally Posted by Brown Bear
Hi,
Husband has a job offer in Halifax NS, I thought it was down to the new employer to arrange the WP, but have just spoken to the immigration office in Halifax and they have said that we need to apply for wp from either France or UK..
Really confused..
Thanks.
We were in France when OH was transferred to Halifax - his empoyer arranged everything. If you have been living in France for longer than 1 year you will have to use the Canadian Embassy in Paris, which is great as waiting times are much quicker than UK - average waiting time for PR is only 8 months.
The Canadian embassy in Paris was very helpful - they were quick to answer email queries we sent them. Their website is http://www.international.gc.ca/Canad...mmigrer-en.asp
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Really confused..
Thanks.

I don't know if it's the same from France but I think that the potential employer has to apply for LMO but then the TWP application is down to the employee once the LMO has come through. Hope that helps.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

I am having to arrange my own WP. The employer sent me a copy of the LMO and an official offer of employment letter. the rest it down to me. I think that this is fairly common if it is a new job. Maybe those who have had transfers with the same employer get a different deal.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:41 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - they arrange the LMO and can send it via email to you for speed, but they do need to send you a signed offer of employment. You need to get on to the Canada Immigration site and download the paperwork for the WP, it is straight forward. They ask for original documents I seem to recall, and information that supports your OH's experience in the job. They may get back to you to qualify a few aspects, but it was super easy when we did it via Sidney, we had it all done in 4 weeks from start to finish! Because you are outside the UK you will be dealing with a faster processing time simply because of the lower amount of applications.

We then got emailed *letters of introduction* that we were told to give Immigration officers on landing and they processed the WP paperwork and got all our passports jammed full of official stuff. Easy.

So go get those forms dowloaded and printed asap, ring Paris for any clarification and go for it.

Have the employers got the LMO?

Actually, not sure they even wanted original documents now, seem to think it was copies, will need to go and look that up a mo!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:54 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Paris Office details
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ions/paris.asp

Eligibility to apply from outside Canada
To apply for a work permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents:

a job offer from a Canadian employer
a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and
written confirmation from Human Resources and Social Development Canada (HRSDC) that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market opinion.
In most cases, it is up to your employer to get that written confirmation. Information on the labour market opinion is found under Information for Canadian employers on the right-hand side of this page.
In some cases, you do not need a labour market opinion. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)

How to apply
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp

Work Permit forms
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...tions/work.asp

Guide to filling out the forms - great info
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5487E.PDF
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future

Thanyou.. Thankyou..

We will get straight onto everything..
We think we have everything covered but then you find something that conflicts and makes you question what you thought you knew..

Thanks again...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:15 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Hi,
Really confused..
Thanks.
Hi Brown Bear,
I too live in France near Paris,we will be moving to Halifax this August
maybe see you there.
Eve
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:33 pm
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by Eve N
Hi Brown Bear,
I too live in France near Paris,we will be moving to Halifax this August
maybe see you there.
Eve
Well how cool is that?? Yay, welcome!! August will be a great time to come, though we have never been here in August, it sounds like the summer will have certainly have arrived and be great. Hope your plans are coming together!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Yeah it sounds like loads of us are heading Halifax way in the next few months, oooh cant wait it's so exciting..!!!!
We have booked our first part of the journey today.. flying from france to southampton on the 24th April and fly out from Heathrow via Air Canada the next day 25th I will hopefully get Air canada booked tomorrow..
It's a nice feeling getting the flights booked, you know it's really happening and it won't be long now..
Look Forward to us all meeting up, should be great.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:57 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Really confused..
Thanks.
IANAL and this is not advice.

The procedure is this:

1. Get job offer
2. Employer gets LMO from HRSDC
3. You file WP application Port of Entry to get work permit, providing LMO and other documents as "evidence" that you are deserving of one
OR
3. You file WP application at Canadian embassy to get work permit pre-approval letter, providing LMO and other docs as above.

WPs are always physically given to you at the port of entry. All the embassy does is gives you a letter telling the PoE officials you have already jumped through all the hoops.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:51 am
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by wbexpat
IANAL and this is not advice.

The procedure is this:

1. Get job offer
2. Employer gets LMO from HRSDC
3. You file WP application Port of Entry to get work permit, providing LMO and other documents as "evidence" that you are deserving of one
OR
3. You file WP application at Canadian embassy to get work permit pre-approval letter, providing LMO and other docs as above.

WPs are always physically given to you at the port of entry. All the embassy does is gives you a letter telling the PoE officials you have already jumped through all the hoops.

Yup, I think she has that info now.......
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:53 am
NS covern member #1

Yeah it sounds like loads of us are heading Halifax way in the next few months, oooh cant wait it's so exciting..!!!!
We have booked our first part of the journey today.. flying from france to southampton on the 24th April and fly out from Heathrow via Air Canada the next day 25th I will hopefully get Air canada booked tomorrow..
It's a nice feeling getting the flights booked, you know it's really happening and it won't be long now..
Look Forward to us all meeting up, should be great.

Oh my goodness, have to ring you at some point to see how you are getting on, just let me know when. Its really real then, flights booked and an end date to life in France - crazy! Will highlight the 25th of April then for touch down, but will give you a day or so to recover!!

Yippee!