Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help needed please

Help needed please

Old May 25th 2009, 4:19 pm
kck
Forum Regular

kck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nice
Default Help needed please

Hi all, hubby & I are coming to Ontario Canada to retire in July ( he 65 & I am 63 ) can anyone help and point me in the direction of where to get the first three months medical cover and how much will it cost.
Also in Canada do you pay for visits to a Dr.? do you pay for a prescription ? and if so how much. If you took out medical insurance yearly, what cost and who to go to ?
Any help you can give will be great, thank you.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed please

Originally Posted by kck
Hi all, hubby & I are coming to Ontario Canada to retire in July ( he 65 & I am 63 ) can anyone help and point me in the direction of where to get the first three months medical cover and how much will it cost.
Also in Canada do you pay for visits to a Dr.? do you pay for a prescription ? and if so how much. If you took out medical insurance yearly, what cost and who to go to ?
Any help you can give will be great, thank you.
Once OHIP kicks in you don't pay for visits to the doctor. You do get charged for prescriptions and there is no flat rate like in the UK it will depend on the drug. Also OHIP doesn't cover dentists or opticians. Sorry don't know anything about medical insurance but I'm sure someone else will be along to help soon.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki has a list of insurance providers, maybe 10 in all?

There was a thread regarding medical expenses and prescriptions last week, it contained lots of usefull info that Im not particularly keen to take the time to type in again right now.
Old May 25th 2009, 4:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Medical_Insurance-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego..._Topics-Canada

That thread...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608913
Old May 25th 2009, 7:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody has asked the obvious question yet, so here goes.

Have you gone through the immigration process and if yes how is it you are being allowed to moved to Canada?

As far as I know the only way you can move to Canada as retirees is if a family member sponsors you and your husband. If this is in fact the case can't they answer these questions for you?
Old May 25th 2009, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Nobody has asked the obvious question yet, so here goes.

Have you gone through the immigration process and if yes how is it you are being allowed to moved to Canada?

As far as I know the only way you can move to Canada as retirees is if a family member sponsors you and your husband. If this is in fact the case can't they answer these questions for you?
Maybe they just wanted to chat to us, and didn't want to bother their family with too many questions??

Where in Ontario are you moving to? Not you Steve, I know you aren't moving here. How was BC?
Old May 25th 2009, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Expat Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

We used IHI, who are part of Bupa.

http://www.ihi.com/

These are great if you have a pre-existing condition that needs covering for the 3 month wait period.

They were the only company, we could find, who would provide cover for my son's pre-existing medical condition.
Old May 25th 2009, 11:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Not you Steve, I know you aren't moving here. How was BC?
I'm still here in BC.

Weather has been very nice and we had a great visit with my sister-in-law and her husband, but not to many photo ops so far this trip.

We are now ensconced in our rented condo in Parksville.
Old May 26th 2009, 12:24 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'm still here in BC.

Weather has been very nice and we had a great visit with my sister-in-law and her husband, but not to many photo ops so far this trip.

We are now ensconced in our rented condo in Parksville.
Good to hear, how are you feeling now??
Old May 26th 2009, 12:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear, how are you feeling now??
Ditto. How's things old man?
Old May 26th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Once OHIP kicks in you don't pay for visits to the doctor. You do get charged for prescriptions and there is no flat rate like in the UK it will depend on the drug. Also OHIP doesn't cover dentists or opticians. Sorry don't know anything about medical insurance but I'm sure someone else will be along to help soon.
Here in QC doctor's visits are covered by medicare but if he/she gives you an injection that you will pay for.
Old May 26th 2009, 2:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ditto. How's things old man?
Yup i'll third that ?
Old May 26th 2009, 4:23 pm
kck
Forum Regular

kck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Thank you for your help.
Old May 26th 2009, 4:25 pm
kck
Forum Regular

Maybe they just wanted to chat to us, and didn't want to bother their family with too many questions??

Where in Ontario are you moving to? Not you Steve, I know you aren't moving here. How was BC?
Thank you all for you help. We are moving to Ottawa