Reload this Page >

HELP ON MOVING TO TORONTO

HELP ON MOVING TO TORONTO

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

kateinnes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP ON MOVING TO TORONTO

Can somebody please give me some advice,

My Family and i are relocating to Toronto from the uk in october. We wish to buy some land, or house with land outside of the area but have no idea where would be the cheapest place to do this as we dont wish to live in the city. We do not mind travelling up to 2 hours each way to and from work to make our dreams come true. Any advice would be really appreciated, We have decided to rent for a while so if You have any idea of areas for cheap renting would be a great help to us.

I hope i have posted this right as it is the first time i have ever used a forum, but im at my wits end at where to begin so any advice would be wonderful!!!

many thanks

kate
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP ON MOVING TO TORONTO

Originally Posted by kateinnes
I hope i have posted this right as it is the first time i have ever used a forum, but im at my wits end at where to begin so any advice would be wonderful!!!
You certainly have posted it in the right place! Not a clue about land near Toronto, but hopefully some of our lovely members in the area will be along shortly to help.

Welcome to the forum.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

kateinnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You certainly have posted it in the right place! Not a clue about land near Toronto, but hopefully some of our lovely members in the area will be along shortly to help.

Welcome to the forum.
Thankyou
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Formerly of nr Kinross, Scotland, now Burlington, ON!
furries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to allfurries is a name known to all

I would certainly be interested in responses to this one - we are moving to Toronto area in August and will also be looking for a house outside the city ... perhaps a bit closer than 2 hours ... perhaps 1 hr - 1 1/2hrs by public transport preferably ... somewhere with a rural feel and plenty of space ... so not able to help - but definitely interested in what comes up in response!!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

My Family and i are relocating to Toronto from the uk in october. We wish to buy some land, or house with land outside of the area but have no idea where would be the cheapest place to do this as we dont wish to live in the city. We do not mind travelling up to 2 hours each way to and from work to make our dreams come true. Any advice would be really appreciated, We have decided to rent for a while so if You have any idea of areas for cheap renting would be a great help to us.

many thanks

kate
Have a look at mls (http://www.mls.ca) and select an area from the map. You can narrow searches by size of property, cost, number of bedrooms etc. and with/without land (acreages).
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:29 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furries
I would certainly be interested in responses to this one - we are moving to Toronto area in August and will also be looking for a house outside the city ... perhaps a bit closer than 2 hours ... perhaps 1 hr - 1 1/2hrs by public transport preferably ... somewhere with a rural feel and plenty of space ... so not able to help - but definitely interested in what comes up in response!!
Georgetown springs to mind. It's just over an hour by GO transit (to Union). If you were working within walking distance from there it might be bearable. But basically I think your parameters are unrealistic.

dbd33 will suggest Guelph.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks

kate
Where will you be working?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Canmoreskier - please be patient! Your posts were just automatically put in to the mod queue as you are a newbie and they contained a link. It's an anti-spam measure, and often takes us a while to approve them.

Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

canmoreskier is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Canmoreskier - please be patient! Your posts were just automatically put in to the mod queue as you are a newbie and they contained a link. It's an anti-spam measure, and often takes us a while to approve them.

As I'm not a doctor, I don't seem to have any patients!
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Georgetown springs to mind. It's just over an hour by GO transit (to Union). If you were working within walking distance from there it might be bearable. But basically I think your parameters are unrealistic.

dbd33 will suggest Guelph.
Guelph? Two hours by transit and no serious land available. I see merit in Guelph but it's not at all a fit with this requirement. A few cheap acres outside Guelph means 20 minutes to the bus from Guelph, then two hours to Toronto, then whatever trip is required at the other end.

As Novo knows, until recently I had some land, enough for horses and whatnot, commutable to Toronto but there were a lot of snags with that, not least that land and transit are incompatible. If you're willing to commute two hours each way by car then a house and 10 acres or less north of Orangeville can be had for a little over $300,000. In other directions the same is sometimes available on the escarpment above Stoney Creek to the west or around Newcastle to the east. If the budget is more in the order of $1,000,000 then around Aurora or Caledon are possibilities.

Note that, if you go north, especially north of highway 89, you can add fifteen hours or so of snow movement, for five months a year, to your 20 hours a week in the car.

Oh, and you can't work from home, out there access to the internet is more a theoretical possibility than a practical facility.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 1st 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by canmoreskier
As I'm not a doctor, I don't seem to have any patients!
<decides to let the newbie live a while longer>
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:50 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Guelph? Two hours by transit and no serious land available. I see merit in Guelph but it's not at all a fit with this requirement. A few cheap acres outside Guelph means 20 minutes to the bus from Guelph, then two hours to Toronto, then whatever trip is required at the other end.

As Novo knows, until recently I had some land, enough for horses and whatnot, commutable to Toronto but there were a lot of snags with that, not least that land and transit are incompatible. If you're willing to commute two hours each way by car then a house and 10 acres or less north of Orangeville can be had for a little over $300,000. In other directions the same is sometimes available on the escarpment above Stoney Creek to the west or around Newcastle to the east. If the budget is more in the order of $1,000,000 then around Aurora or Caledon are possibilities.

Note that, if you go north, especially north of highway 89, you can add fifteen hours or so of snow movement, for five months a year, to your 20 hours a week in the car.
...or possibly he won't suggest Guelph.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

...or possibly he won't suggest Guelph.
Besides, the OP has not said she's a lesbian naturopath, a tattoo artist nor an operator of mechanical bulls, what would she do for a job in Guelph?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 9:58 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dbd33
Besides, the OP has not said she's a lesbian naturopath, a tattoo artist nor an operator of mechanical bulls, what would she do for a job in Guelph?
Oh, I don't know. Fishmonger?
Old Jan 1st 2011, 10:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, I don't know. Fishmonger?
That we need, please to be bringing ocean too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.