Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help on motorcycle licences

Help on motorcycle licences

Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

surfinusa10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on motorcycle licences

Hi I currently have a provisional licence in the UK. Im looking at getting a moped to get me around but unsure on what licence i need. I had a look on the icbc website and it doesnt say anything about a uk provisional and it says that if im a new driver that i need to do a passenger knowledge test and a motorcycle knowledge test, then after at least 30 days i will need to do a skills test. I will still be on a learner after i pass but i also read that for a moped you can not operate on a learner’s licence other than a Class 6 or 8 motorcycle learner’s licence, which it says you can only get after 12 months. Im only on IEC visa for a year.

Sorry for such a long post

Paula
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on motorcycle licences

Not sure I've even seen a moped here, (other than the 49cc motors strapped to a moutain bike)

http://www.zippycycles.com/order_now49.html

it's a graduated license program for Bikes and Cars.

http://www.motorcyclebasics.com/getting-a-license.html

You do see lots of E Bikes in Toronto, like a moped but electric

http://www.blueavenue.ca/

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 19th 2013 at 10:51 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

In BC you can driver a scooter/moped without a license and registration, same as a bicycle!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:02 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
In BC you can driver a scooter/moped without a license and registration, same as a bicycle!
may need peddles?

Class 5 needed in Langley

http://scooterking.ca/

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 19th 2013 at 11:09 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

Im going to vancouver and also only have a provisional. So the class 5 cant apply to me

Last edited by surfinusa10; Mar 19th 2013 at 11:37 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by surfinusa10
Im going to vancouver and also only have a provisional. So the class 5 cant apply to me
A provisional is no use either, nor a full test, if passed less than 2 years before your move.

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...-powered/moped

There are options tho, see above

Dependent on how far you commuting, the E Bike is the easiest to get a move on. No License, No insurance. No registration, No safety, No emissions test

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 20th 2013 at 12:11 am.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks already looked on that page. My question is on the link above it says you cant ride it unless you have a class 6 or 8learner but you only get that after 12 months. How can you get a licence if your only going to be there for 12months

Last edited by surfinusa10; Mar 20th 2013 at 12:22 am.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:33 am

Thanks already looked on that page. My question is on the link above it says you cant ride it unless you have a class 6 or 8learner but you only get that after 12 months. How can you get a licence if your only going to be there for 12months
3. Learner's licence
After passing the knowledge test, you get a motorcycle learner’s licence (Class 6L).

Now you can practice riding—with some restrictions. For example, you can't go faster than 60 km/h or ride with passengers.

While practising, use the Tuning up for Riders guide. It will help you apply safe-riding skills each time you go out for a ride.

You then take the test and get a full licence, not sure where you saw the wait for 12 months bit

Can you paste that bit i may have missed it
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:38 am

I found this, looks like you will be ok for the 12 months on a L licence

2. Learner stage

After passing the knowledge test and meeting all other requirements, you get your Class 8 motorcycle learner's licence.

During the learner stage, you can practice riding—with restrictions. For example, you must display an L-sign and can't carry any passengers. For details, see Chapter 11 of Learn to ride smart (formerly RoadSense for Riders).

After at least 30 days with your L, you take a motorcycle skills test. If you pass, two riding restrictions are removed.

Motorcycle skills test »

3. Class 8 motorcycle road test

After 12 months with your L, you qualify for the Class 8 road test.

The test takes about 45 minutes. A driver examiner follows behind you in a car, speaking with you by two-way radio.

Note: Your L expires after 2 years. You'll need to pass the road test before it expires—otherwise, you'll have to repeat both the knowledge test and motorcycle skills test.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:48 am
Just Joined

I cant copy as im on my tablet but if you go to getting a motorcycle licence and the motorcycle licence for new riders on stage 3 it states that after 12 months with your l you qualify for the class 8 test which is required according to the link you posted above as it states you cant be a learner unless you have a class 6 or 8 motorcycle learner licence which you dont get till 12 months
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:52 am

Nah, thats not how i read it

1. Getting started

To qualify for a motorcycle learner's licence, you must
be 16 or older, and
pass a motorcycle knowledge test.

We ask about your medical condition and check your vision, too.

Your parent or a legal guardian must give consent for your application if you're under 19.

(If you don't already have a driver's licence, you also need to take a passenger-vehicle knowledge test.)

2. Learner stage
After passing the knowledge test and meeting all other requirements, you get your Class 8 motorcycle learner's licence.

Ta Dar !!!!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi

[url]http://www.icbc.com/registration-licensing/offroad-other/low-powered/moped[/url
On this it says you need a class 6 or 8 learner
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:57 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

That link specifically refers to Limited Speed Motorbikes (looks like a scooter).

It specifically says that you need (for your purposes) a class 6 or 8 motorcycle learners licence to drive one.

As magnumpi has already explained to you, after passing the knowledge test and meeting all other requirements, you get your Class 8 motorcycle learner's licence.

You are confusing the Class 8 learners licence with the part (later) that states at the end of a year you can take your class 8 road test, which removes some restrictions.

If you get an electric bike (with pedals) then you won't need a licence, as Aviator already pointed out. http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...motor-assisted

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 20th 2013 at 12:01 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:20 pm

That's what it says yeh, so get one and your done. No dramas.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Magnumpi didnt say that i get a class 8 after my knowledge test and other requirement. I was just confused because on the stages 3 it says i will get my class 8 after 12 of being a learner. And the limit speed motorcycle it says that i need a learner class 6 or 8. I already said that it is a moped i want and not an electric bike with pedals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.