Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help, Badly Let Down - Need To Find Engineering Positions While In Calgary!

Help, Badly Let Down - Need To Find Engineering Positions While In Calgary!

Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Crash7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help, Badly Let Down - Need To Find Engineering Positions While In Calgary!

I leave for Calgary in less than two weeks. 7 Months ago, I made the decision to use and pay an immigration/Recruitment company (Who will remain nameless for the time being) to help me find a job in Calgary. I am very keen to relocate and saw this as making it happen quicker.

They promised that they would find me at least 5 suitable positions with companies that would be willing to employ me and who were aware of the LMO, TWP senario.

I discussed with them when I should arrive in Calgary and once this was done I booked flights and accomodation (This was 6 months ago).

I have been in almost contant contact with them and they have done nothing but assure me that everything was fine and that I had nothing to worry about, finding interviews would not be a problem. The latest assurances were given in December 08.

Due to the economic climate although Calgary was our first choice we decided to widened the job search to emcompass Edmonton and informed them of this.

Yesterday I recieved a short e-mail from them telling me that due to the economic climate they think it best that I cancel my trip!!! And they can not get me any interviews in either area!!- I leave in 12 days!!

Cancelling is simply not an option, I have paid for flights and accomodation and will lose everything if I cancel.

I will try on Monday to contat the Immirgration company who I have paid quite a fee to, when they are back in the office to discuss this bombshell with the but for time being I would like to try and find employment myself.

So, I am looking for any companies or recruitment companies I can visit while in Calgary to drop off resumes and speak about possible employment.

I am an Mechanical/Electrical Engineer with Project Management experience. (I am Professionally Registered in The UK with ECUK)

Any and all help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:09 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help, Badly Let Down - Need To Find Engineering Positions While In Calgary!

That's a really shitty situation to be in, and can only imagine how p'd off you are.
I cant say I'm suprised though. This has been in the pipeline for a couple of months now.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help, Badly Let Down - Need To Find Engineering Positions While In Calgary!

Sorry to hear of your predicament. It's actually illegal in most Canadian provinces for anybody to charge you (the employee) for helping you to find a job. They are only legally allowed to charge the employer. Have a read of this Wiki link for more info....................http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Employ...27_Fees-Canada

Might be worth pointing out to them that what they have done is actually illegal, if it is (depending on which province they've done it in)? They may just get scared into giving you your money back.

This Wiki article may also be useful - may help you identify which provinces need your skills. If it's somewhere other than Alberta then at least you'll know where to focus your search. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Labour_Shortages

Good luck.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming!!

I am obviously aware of the state on the economy, but am so disappoint with the attitude of 'said' company!

Why lie and assure me everything would be fine 4 weeks ago and then drop this on me!!

They talk of me cancelling my trip as if it is catching a tube to the next station!!!

It winds me up even more when I think that they talked me out of applying for PR as they stated they would get me into the country quicker!!

I am now filling out my PR form as I type!!

Any more help for info on Calgary recruitment companies etc would be hugely appreciated!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:19 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of your plight, but this list may be of help:

http://www.mikelaing.com/

It lists all the engineering companies in Calgary, complete with contacts, and also the recruiting companies.

If I were in your shoes, I'd contact as many companies as I could, directly, and the recruiters as well. Don't just email,.... phone and talk to somebody, (or email AND phone if you like) and tell them when you are coming and try to set up meetings/interviews, formal and/or informal with as many people as you can. Some of the web-sites have "career sections" and are advertising, but even if they are not it would be worth making contact.

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Jan 10th 2009 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Morwenna,

Many many thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:28 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome.

My son is currently studying Electrical engineering at UofC so we found that when looking for jobs for him.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:19 am
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Crash7
I leave for Calgary in less than two weeks. 7 Months ago, I made the decision to use and pay an immigration/Recruitment company (Who will remain nameless for the time being) to help me find a job in Calgary. I am very keen to relocate and saw this as making it happen quicker.

They promised that they would find me at least 5 suitable positions with companies that would be willing to employ me and who were aware of the LMO, TWP senario.

I discussed with them when I should arrive in Calgary and once this was done I booked flights and accomodation (This was 6 months ago).

I have been in almost contant contact with them and they have done nothing but assure me that everything was fine and that I had nothing to worry about, finding interviews would not be a problem. The latest assurances were given in December 08.

Due to the economic climate although Calgary was our first choice we decided to widened the job search to emcompass Edmonton and informed them of this.

Yesterday I recieved a short e-mail from them telling me that due to the economic climate they think it best that I cancel my trip!!! And they can not get me any interviews in either area!!- I leave in 12 days!!

Cancelling is simply not an option, I have paid for flights and accomodation and will lose everything if I cancel.

I will try on Monday to contat the Immirgration company who I have paid quite a fee to, when they are back in the office to discuss this bombshell with the but for time being I would like to try and find employment myself.

So, I am looking for any companies or recruitment companies I can visit while in Calgary to drop off resumes and speak about possible employment.

I am an Mechanical/Electrical Engineer with Project Management experience. (I am Professionally Registered in The UK with ECUK)

Any and all help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks
PM'd you
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Many many thanks for those of you who have posted and been kind enough to PM, I will be in touch shortly

Thanks again
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

You could try looking at all the member firms of APEGGA? WOuld these fit your profile? If they do then I would look at all their career websites, not only the ones that advertise on the APEGGA site.

Gryph
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:16 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your plight. A lot of jobs gained here are gained by networking (hubby got his job offer because our realtor knew someone who knew someone). So when you get here talk to everyone possible and visit the companies you have in mind (thanks to Mo's list). Hand out buisness cards to everyone and hopefully everything will turn out OK for you.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

You could try the companies on this link. They participated in a recruitment drive in the UK last year.

http://www.engineeryourcareer.ca/ind...d=12&Itemid=26

Alternatively the likes of BBT have some Canadian jobs also.

Good luck.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Can_Ami is a jewel in the roughCan_Ami is a jewel in the roughCan_Ami is a jewel in the roughCan_Ami is a jewel in the roughCan_Ami is a jewel in the rough

You say you are registered with ECUK. Are you chartered? Do you have any transportation /infrastructure experience. If so, have a look on www.delcan.com, we are looking to fill 52 positions around Canada at the moment. Hope that helps. If you do keep in contact.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Have sent you a PM - Sam
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:02 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

I very much doubt you will have any problem getting a engineering position, even in the current market.

I've spoken with a few people in my firm who are involed in recruiting engineers, and the ability to speak perfect english will set you apart from the majority of your peers.