Reload this Page >

Help on applying to schools

Help on applying to schools

Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

siw1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help on applying to schools

Hi
My family and I are moving to Okotoks in Alberta at the end of Feb. I have a six year old daughter and one of my main priorities i s to get her settled into a school asap on arrival. I have read on a thread in the past that you have to phone the local education authority in advance to book apointments withe the local schools and not approach the schools direct. Would anyone be able to help me with this particularly from the local area. Thanks very much. Kirsty.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:55 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help on applying to schools

yes, that's correct and i don't know the school board addy for alberta, sorry, but quessing at calgary education board. something like that, goole it, your bound to stumble over it......
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

When we were looking in Edmonton and Sherwood Park, I spoke to the schools direct.
Actually when we were looking at houses in Sherwood Park, we would just drop in on the school that was the closes to the house we like. On every occasion we were gladly given a tour.
It was really nice to see the staff proud of their schools.

I also use to stop people in the area and ask if they had children at the school and ask their opinion. (things we do for our children )

Linda
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:12 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

HI Siw

Funnily enough we are off to Okotoks in Feb. I have a 7 year old and my OH (who is already out there) was going to view Dr Morris Gibson Elementary today. If you PM me I can let you know what he thought etc.

Otherwise take a look on Calgary Board of Education which has loads of info on schools including their websites. Then call or email them and ask for a visit when you get out in February.

Have you bought a place/looking for rented?

The Ross Family
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi Kirsty - Here in Okotoks you can approach the schools direct and they are all very friendly. The schools do like to see a sample of your childs work from the UK and they may ask to see vaccination records. You will have no problems with the schools in Okotoks. Sam
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:35 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
HI Siw

Funnily enough we are off to Okotoks in Feb. I have a 7 year old and my OH (who is already out there) was going to view Dr Morris Gibson Elementary today. If you PM me I can let you know what he thought etc.

Otherwise take a look on Calgary Board of Education which has loads of info on schools including their websites. Then call or email them and ask for a visit when you get out in February.

Have you bought a place/looking for rented?

The Ross Family
The Calgary Board of Education has nothing to do with Okotoks.

The school board responsible for the Okotoks area is the Foothills School Division linked below.
http://www.fsd38.ab.ca/public/frameset.cfm
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:47 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Yes I know that Okotoks is in the Foothills Division but the Calgary Board of Education gives a general overview of schooling in Calgary if you wanted to compare like-for-like.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:17 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - we landed in Van in Dec = prior to landing I had looked at the school board website - the BC ones have a post code search which then tells you your local schools and you need to put t in a cross border app for any others. .

when we arrived we had to go to the school board to register the kids but we also visited the schools -as other posters have said - they were all very friendly - in fact the senior school my daughter wanted to go to, which we were out of catchment for by 2 roads gave her a place there and then!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for everyone's reponse to my thread i will have a look at the links that you have provided. i am also looking at sending my daughter to Dr Morris Gibson as it has a very good reputation, however i would like to visit all the schools first to see which one has the best feel. thanks again kirsty.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again
Whilst reading one of the links about schooling i have come across a pre-school programme in okotoks at the Big Rock School, i was wondering if there was anyone who knew anything more about this as i also have a 3 year old son who has been attending a pre-school here for the last 11/2 and i would like him to continue doing so but have heard pre-schools are very expensive in canada. Thanks Kirsty.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi just further to my last email. One of my daughters is currently at DMG and the other spent a year there before moving to the Junior High. I have nothing but praise for it. The schools have a catchment area so that might effect your choice be it for school or where you live. The link should help you with that if not give me a shout. I have heard good things regarding the pre school at Big Rock but mine are a little older so havent got personal experience (where does the time go)!!!!!If I can help with anything else please let me know.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by siw1978
Hi
My family and I are moving to Okotoks in Alberta at the end of Feb. I have a six year old daughter and one of my main priorities i s to get her settled into a school asap on arrival. I have read on a thread in the past that you have to phone the local education authority in advance to book apointments withe the local schools and not approach the schools direct. Would anyone be able to help me with this particularly from the local area. Thanks very much. Kirsty.
Me again, we arrive in Okotoks TOMORROW (arrgh) and our girls are going to Okotoks Junior High. The school have told us to land, give them a call, pop in for an interview and then they can start - simple as that. They then added if we could give them a couple of days notice they would appreciate it.