Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Help and advice needed on moving to Canada

Help and advice needed on moving to Canada

Old May 11th 2003, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Andrew Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Thanks for all your replies, I found them most helpful and interesting.

I would appreciate any advice as to how I could obtain a job offer myself from within the UK, other than via a Consultant.

Cheers

Andy:scared:
Old May 11th 2003, 11:20 pm
Keelie

Andrew B. One last thing...you couldn't have chosen a better place than Edmonton to look for work.
Edmonton is in the midst of one of its boom cycles at the moment. Work is plentiful, and people from across the country are seeking opportunity here in droves.
There's a housing boom too, and houses are extremely well-built, and reasonably priced compared with the U.K.
Don't expect to find lot's of Brits here..most of them are in the Toronto area...also Vancouver Island.
However, it's a multi-cultural community, and there's not as many prejudices , you'll make friends with people of every nationality.

There are plenty of opportunities , the fly in the ointment is the weather I'm afraid.
Very long winters can get one down. Everyone goes a bit giddy here in the summer, we have one festival after another... making the most of the warm sunny days.
Most people here take their vacation time in the winter..usually to Mexico, Cuba or the southern states.
You will enjoy a very good standard of living, and the schools are excellent, your kids will become 'Canadianized' very quickly as they'll just be one more emigrant amongst immigrants. Keelie.

Old May 13th 2003, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

richardwhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help and advice needed on moving to Canada

Originally posted by Andrew Brown
Calling all English families out there who have moved to Canada from England.

My family and I have been looking into emmigrating to Canada recently with a view to securing a better lifestyle for ourselves and hopefully better prospects for our children, ages 14 and 15.
My wife and I both have decent jobs, however the cost of living seems to be ever increasing, which leaves us very concerned for the future of our children. I am currently employed as a fireman and my wife is a medical secretary, and as already mentioned, our salaries are reasonable, however having contacted an agency in Edmonton, Canada, to help us pursue our venture, in order to immigrate and obtain permanent residency, I would have to find alternative employment outside the Fire Service, ie, opted for truck driving, as a stepping stone until PR can be obtained, then I would be free to pursue returning to the fire service in Canada if necessary.

Having constantly read the postings on this site from a lot of people who have moved to Canada and the problems they they can be faced with, having opted ourselves to consult an agency who takes care of the whole immigration process on our behalf and also obtains a job offer as part of the package, which obviously doesn't come cheap, we would just like to hear from any English families who have any help or advice they can give us in order to assess whether it would be worthwhile giving up our lifestyle over here, for what we would hope would be a better one in Canada.

Is the grass greener on the other side!!

Andy

i am also thinking of emigrating to canada and would be willing to start out with a job such as truck or taxi driving
what sort of fees do this agency charge? any chance of you providing me with there contact details?
Old May 16th 2003, 6:59 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Andrew Brown
Hi

Thanks for all your replies!!

Can I ask what your reasons were for moving out to Canada, and would you say your expectations for moving to Canada, given the time you've been there, have been fulfilled.

How would you say your lifestyle has changed in relation to that of the UK, did you find it very difficult at first or did you adapt very quickly.

Cheers - Andy
Andy, we moved out to improve hubby's career prospects. Financially this was the worst move we could ever make! We rattled through our savings and continue to have a challenging time of things.

BUT - we love it here! we don't miss UK at all. I love the social values, the cultures, the friendliness, the space.

What I find is I miss people, not the place

Definitely come over to Canada and have a look for yourselves.

Oh, and I'm not sure about your consultant. Have you agreed a "no job - no fee" arrangement?

Clare
Old May 16th 2003, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I don't want to be negative but we find with regards to qualifications that the Canadians are very snobby about qualifications and there seems to be massive professional elitism. All you ever here is MBA this and MBA that, you don't seem to count at all if you only have a degree which leads to many people constantly studying and therefore devaluing all the hard work that it does take to get a simple degree. I don't know though if this is a problem unique to Nova Scotia. Experience o ver here counts for absolutely nothing.

My husband is an environmental scientist but he will never be able to sign off reports for his company because he isn't an 'engineer' even though he is far better qualified in his field than a lot of his colleagues who are 'engineers'. My husband had a degree and a masters and all his experience was far greater valued in the UK.

We too are returning to the UK as we find it incredibly expensive over here and miss family far more than I thought I would. We did have the notion that we would be able to visit often but high flight prices make that impossible. Having said that, I am sure that Canada is right for some people, just not us. We have realised that just by moving to another country you are not going to automatically improve your life.