Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK child benefit query

UK child benefit query

Old May 15th 2003, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Allyson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK child benefit query

Does anyone know if you can continue to claim uk child benefit if you move to Canada???? Probably is too much to hope for really, but I thought I would ask as I have four children and would lose almost £200 per month

If anyone knows, or knows how I could find out I'd be grateful for any suggestions
Old May 15th 2003, 11:47 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

No of course you're not entitled to it! In the days of Child Benefit books which you took to the Post Office it was clearly mentioned in the 'notes' section. Nowadays a statement is mailed out periodically and it's doubtful that many people read the 'small print'.

When you think about it, why on Earth should British taxpayers pay for children being raised overseas?

What you need to do is to write to the Child Benefit Centre in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and notify them that you are leaving. You will get CB up to the day you leave.
Old May 15th 2003, 11:49 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

PS. My daughter returned to the UK to do "A" Levels but we weren't entitled to Child Benefit during this time - it is only awarded to parents or legal guardians resident in the UK.
Old May 15th 2003, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK child benefit query

Originally posted by Allyson
Does anyone know if you can continue to claim uk child benefit if you move to Canada???? Probably is too much to hope for really, but I thought I would ask as I have four children and would lose almost £200 per month

If anyone knows, or knows how I could find out I'd be grateful for any suggestions

Blimey! Nice try
Old May 15th 2003, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that, it was worth a try though There are lots of little things that occur to me as we go along, things that we take for granted because they have just always been
Old May 15th 2003, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

flatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the roughflatty38 is a jewel in the rough

Dont forget that Canada has its own version of Child Benefit which you are entitled too from the day you land. If fact you will be given the forms (amoung others) when you "land" as permenant residents. Its means tested though, so unlike the UK, what you get depends on what you earn/age of children etc.

Originally posted by Allyson

Old May 15th 2003, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by flatty38
Dont forget that Canada has its own version of Child Benefit which you are entitled too from the day you land. If fact you will be given the forms (amoung others) when you "land" as permenant residents. Its means tested though, so unlike the UK, what you get depends on what you earn/age of children etc.

Thanks for that, I was not aware that there would be anything that would be similar once we migrate.
Old May 15th 2003, 11:08 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Just remember Child Tax benefit in Canada is paid one year in arrears and is based on your total household income. It would be wise to minimise the conversion of your UK income from sterling to dollars (they don't check it) as you will get bugger all for your first year here otherwise. As a guideline - I have four kids and I get $364 per month based on a really low family income last year, which is at the national average level. We are basically on the poverty line as the wages here are so crap. If you earned over $75,000 converted (around 30K GBP) you won't get a bean.
Old May 16th 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point

Something different, but related.
You can continue to make NI premiums in the UK even after moving to Canada so you could receive pension benefits if you were ever to move back -- I am not an expert, and don't know all of the details but I do know that we are going to do it starting near the end of this year.