Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Helloween in Canada ?

Helloween in Canada ?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Helloween in Canada ?

Do that many kids really come?? Wow. I never see many people around this area, where do they all come from?

I thought I might crack and buy a bag of sweets but it looks like I need a tubful :scared:
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Do that many kids really come?? Wow. I never see many people around this area, where do they all come from?

I thought I might crack and buy a bag of sweets but it looks like I need a tubful :scared:
Probably depends on your neighbourhood. There are tons of kids in ours so I expect to be swamped. Try asking the neighbours to get an idea of how many will come.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:00 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

It is at times like these that I thank god that I live at the end of a dark, dead-end road and have 3 big scary dogs running loose!! Nobody would just wander down our long driveway, in fact even most of the locals don't even know this farm exists as it is completely hidden from the outside world.

I know I will have to do something with my daughter - not exactly exciting with only two of you but perhaps the cats would like to join in bobbing for apples or trying to catch treacle scones hanging from the ceiling.......or things would definitely liven up if I allowed the dogs in the house for the evening :scared: .

I have no pumpkins sitting in our garden, no creepy guy guarding the front door but I have bought loads of disgusting looking sweets for my daughter to take into school and she has tonnes of dressing up clothes so maybe we should wander around the farm and go up into the woods, build a little campfire and toast marshmallows and then I can tell her horror stories.....what do you think? Am I just the best Mummy around!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:19 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sysclp
Probably depends on your neighbourhood. There are tons of kids in ours so I expect to be swamped. Try asking the neighbours to get an idea of how many will come.
They come to our neighbourhood by the bus load. The houses are close together, the inhabitants reasonably affluent and a few households put on a production. Each year there are a few moments of moral dilemma, the kid on the doorstep is too old and/or not in costume but looks hard and there are tough looking friends and/or parents smoking on the sidewalk and spitting onto the lawn. Make a point or just hand over a chocolate bar to get rid of them ?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

What will they do will all that candy?
I think the dentist have a litttle deal going on here!

Last year my 15 year old son wanted to go out with a group of friends. I told him he was a little too old and he should look out for the small kids. I gave him the parental speach " don't you guys run around scaring small kids".
Well!.... Later that evening i got a phonecall from him and he was worried. A group of youths in a vehicle, stopped and stole their candy.

These bullies said to my son's friends " you can do this the easy way or the hard way".(they lifted the trunk and leaned inside and my son said they though they had a weapon). They did the smart thing and gave up the candy. But i wanted to throttle someone.

Now we see the fuuny side to it! I was worried about the little ones out there and my son was the one to have his candy stollen!
He has made up for the candy deprivation!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:46 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by babyblue
What will they do will all that candy?
I think the dentist have a litttle deal going on here!

Last year my 15 year old son wanted to go out with a group of friends. I told him he was a little too old and he should look out for the small kids. I gave him the parental speach " don't you guys run around scaring small kids".
Well!.... Later that evening i got a phonecall from him and he was worried. A group of youths in a vehicle, stopped and stole their candy.

These bullies said to my son's friends " you can do this the easy way or the hard way".(they lifted the trunk and leaned inside and my son said they though they had a weapon). They did the smart thing and gave up the candy. But i wanted to throttle someone.

Now we see the fuuny side to it! I was worried about the little ones out there and my son was the one to have his candy stollen!
He has made up for the candy deprivation!
That is a scary story on it's own, kids pulling a Tony Soprano on other kids? :scared: I wonder if those are the kind of kids that grow up, to be like the ones that SHOT the bus driver in Toronto in the face over the weekend, or belong to a gang, like the ones that killed a teen in the Woodbine area.

The police said it was a gang war between Italians and Asian Indians
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

the younger kids start as soon as dusk falls , and the teenagers stop about 9 . However, the custom is to blow out the candle in the pumpkin as a sign that you are all out of candy, and most people respect that. you might also resort to hiding out in your basement .. but generally speaking by 8 30 and 9 , halloween is all over in my neighborhood . Just had a quick glance at the calendar to see that halloween is on a monday this yr... that means it should be an early night.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

OMG that is a scary story.... how did they get away with it with so many people on the streets on halloween night? i have never heard of such a thing! anyway , i have a nearly 13 year old and i told him that he is getting too old to go trick or treating. he says his friends are going so when is the cut off age do you think?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:18 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be our last Halloween in England this year, so we decided to organise a Halloween Party for the young kids and all their friends. Hired out the local hall and we've got 60 kids (3-6 years) coming (what am I thinking?!?! ).
Anyway I just could not beleive the amount of parents who wouldnt let their kids come as "it's not christian" and they don't like to celebrate it?!?!? I didn't even realise it would offend anyone! It's a kids party FFS!!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zalaben
OMG that is a scary story.... how did they get away with it with so many people on the streets on halloween night? i have never heard of such a thing! anyway , i have a nearly 13 year old and i told him that he is getting too old to go trick or treating. he says his friends are going so when is the cut off age do you think?
This is exactly what i told my son!
He insisted that there were a few friends going together and that they are not too old. He is generally a very well ajusted teenager.
These guys pulled up in the vehicle and just used bully tactics to threaten them. My son said he knew of them and they were a bunch of bully boys that often hang around the school with younger girls.
I was going to get the police involved but i thought better of it in the end. My son was not hurt and the school were informed of these particular individuals. My son was also worried of revenge. Sad to have to think this way but in todays society, you just never know!

It just frightens me to think these weapons are so freely avaliable. I went to a well known market last weekend and there on display for anyway to purchase was a full table of flick knives and hunting knifes!
Is there no law against knives?
these seem to be everywhere.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bleech
It'll be our last Halloween in England this year, so we decided to organise a Halloween Party for the young kids and all their friends. Hired out the local hall and we've got 60 kids (3-6 years) coming (what am I thinking?!?! ).
Anyway I just could not beleive the amount of parents who wouldnt let their kids come as "it's not christian" and they don't like to celebrate it?!?!? I didn't even realise it would offend anyone! It's a kids party FFS!!!
It amazes me just how many people use religion to be a hipacritical. I am not a church goer but i do have my beliefs. My children went to a catholic school in England. My children recieved great education there.
I remember a problem i had once. I was a single parent and struglling. I approached the education board for a school bus pass. They informed me that the school deal with it. I called the school and they said! Becuase we were not catholic we were not entitled to the bus pass. The church provide it! I was stunded. I fundraised for the church and school just the same as any other parent yet i could not recieve the same treatment.
This is god's honest truth. So i called the education department as i felt this was discrimination. The said " I am sorry but this is their policies".
I told the school not to ever ask me to fundraise again.

I don't wish to start a religeous arguement as it is 'each to their own'. This is my own experience. Although i find the catholic uniform here in Canada quite shocking. I have belts bigger than those skirts! I thought this religion was about respect and purity! I am sure the boys respect it!
In England the uniform was below the knees and high socks.
I am not trying to offend anyone. I am simply voicing my opinion.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
It is at times like these that I thank god that I live at the end of a dark, dead-end road and have 3 big scary dogs running loose!!
Scary Dogs...yeah right! Only if you are scared of getting slobbered on

Your welcome to come trick or treating with us, but I dont know how far we will be going!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 1:58 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

So i called the education department as i felt this was discrimination.
A form of discrimination considered acceptable in Ontario. It amuses me that the government makes such a fuss about equality and yet pursues a sectarian education policy.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:16 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Although i find the catholic uniform here in Canada quite shocking.
I wasn't aware that Canada had school uniforms.

None here in Alberta.

On the halloween note, just wondering will we get the lad that came last year wearing his jeans and team Canada jersey claiming to be dressed as a "hockey fan".

Last edited by Iginla; Oct 18th 2005 at 2:19 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iginla
I wasn't aware that Canada had school uniforms.

None here in Alberta.
just the catholic schools in ontario.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.