Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Helloween in Canada ?

Helloween in Canada ?

Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:37 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Helloween in Canada ?

T'is the season already, how's everyones preparations going so far ?

I have seen some funky stuff for kids, fog machines, electric illuminated Pumpkins (might get me one of those).

Currently restricted to one $4 stick man thing stuck out by the front door.

We've been advised by locals to get approx 100 candy bars

My costume for the night will be a large woolly brown throw which I will wear in the manner of 'Cousin It' from the Addams Family, that'll scare the little blighters off.

:scared:

Rich.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:43 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Helloween in Canada ?

Several of the neighbours are in the film business and so have access to the equipment to go all out. This year the immediate neighbours have no house, they demolished it, and just have the shell of the new one. It looks quite spooky before being decorated. They're bringing in the the dry ice machine and, no doubt, all maner of other props. I've been asked to stand in a future closet and to lean out every now and then waving a chainsaw. Past experience tells me that works well; a chainsaw going off a couple of feet away terrifies adults, nevermind children.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 5:56 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
Several of the neighbours are in the film business and so have access to the equipment to go all out. This year the immediate neighbours have no house, they demolished it, and just have the shell of the new one. It looks quite spooky before being decorated. They're bringing in the the dry ice machine and, no doubt, all maner of other props. I've been asked to stand in a future closet and to lean out every now and then waving a chainsaw. Past experience tells me that works well; a chainsaw going off a couple of feet away terrifies adults, nevermind children.

That beats throwing eggs at Granny Johnsons front door !

Rich.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

debbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
T'is the season already, how's everyones preparations going so far ?

I have seen some funky stuff for kids, fog machines, electric illuminated Pumpkins (might get me one of those).

Currently restricted to one $4 stick man thing stuck out by the front door.

My costume for the night will be a large woolly brown throw which I will wear in the manner of 'Cousin It' from the Addams Family, that'll scare the little blighters off.

Rich.
I put my candy in little bags i make up 160 bags and every year so far i have given them all out,i love to see the kids dressed up.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

You have it easy. This will be our first Halloween in our new house and the next door neighbour said there are usually 200-300 kids come by each year!!! Lots of houses with lots of kids around here so that number doesn't really surprise me too much. We have a couple of bags of 300 pieces so we can give 2 each and when they are gone I guess just turn off the lights and pretend to be gone.

Since we live on Graceland Court, I am making my husband dress as Elvis to give out the goodies.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

you`ll be needing a lot more than 100! i sit up a couple of nights before hallloween stuffing little bags so that i give every little witch and goblin their fair share. last year i had 160 bags and by 9 pm i was all out . i love halloween and go crazy decorating. i even have spooky music playing outside.... yeah ,my neighbors love me
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zalaben
you`ll be needing a lot more than 100! i sit up a couple of nights before hallloween stuffing little bags so that i give every little witch and goblin their fair share. last year i had 160 bags and by 9 pm i was all out . i love halloween and go crazy decorating. i even have spooky music playing outside.... yeah ,my neighbors love me
What time do the little tykes generally stop arriving?
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I have no sweets, nothing. They can have some scary mint cheese gloop, but that's about it.

How bad should I expect the damage to my house to be?

(once gave out trial-sized toothpaste to the chancers who rang our bell in England - how would that be received here?)
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:23 pm
Lotus-eater

(once gave out trial-sized toothpaste to the chancers who rang our bell in England - how would that be received here?)[/QUOTE]

With a perfectly aligned, pure dazzling white smile

Rich (AKA Cousin It)
Old Oct 17th 2005, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I have no sweets, nothing. They can have some scary mint cheese gloop, but that's about it.

(once gave out trial-sized toothpaste to the chancers who rang our bell in England - how would that be received here?)
If you don't want to do candy, go to a party store and get the big bag of cheap toys like they use in loot bags at parties here and give those out. If you don't want to give out anything, turn off all the lights and pretend nobody is home. You might get toilet paper in your trees or eggs in your mailbox if the kids are feeling frisky.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 8:58 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

... that's only for your and Nicky's stash! Damned newbies, don't know jacksh*t about Halloween

You could make your house really scary by giving out little jars of Marmite to all the trick or treaters - that should scare the crap right out of them! :scared:

Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:00 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Damned newbies, don't know jacksh*t about Halloween
Immigrants eh, tut tut what're they like

Rich
Old Oct 17th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peasYou could make your house [B
really scary[/B] by giving out little jars of Marmite to all the trick or treaters - that should scare the crap right out of them! :scared:
If their digestive systems aren't used to it I don't think the scare needs to come into it

Last edited by Posidrive; Oct 17th 2005 at 11:05 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 10:54 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

It simple take your boy out early then give out the chocolate he collects and then turn the light out.

Helps to have 4 collectors - last year was so quite that they came home with loads. people brought for 100 and only about 30 turned up so the our kids got the rest.

We also have some trick pepper lollipops for the teens who don't bother to dressup and just walk around with pillow cases and rucksacks.
Old Oct 17th 2005, 11:16 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Is it that time of the year again? We might as well enjoy our first one here in Canada

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.