Heating?

Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating?

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Even Saskatoon doesn't go down to -40°C more than a few times a winter
I can't vouch for Calgary, but we've been at -40 and below for more than 'a few times' over the last couple of winters. If I remember correctly there was a period of several weeks when we rarely got above that temperature.

Or maybe I'm thinking wind-chill rather than still air temperatures? I can't find a reliable source of daily historical weather data here.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
BC 5700 sq ft well insulated two mid efficiency gas furnaces and two gas hot water tanks
Gas is $135 a month on equal payments
Electricity about $75 air con and hot tub
We have one furnace about 15 yrs old now, one hot water tank.
Gas $73 per month equal payments
Electricity $70 per month equal payments

Home is well insulated, it's been cooler than norm, outside temp is 14 degrees yet A/C still kicked in as its 25 inside.(guess it's window open time) Even when its cold and damp outside the inside is still warm enough not to need heating this time of year.
We also have always had a programmable electronic stat to control the heat or A/C
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:02 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I can't vouch for Calgary, but we've been at -40 and below for more than 'a few times' over the last couple of winters. If I remember correctly there was a period of several weeks when we rarely got above that temperature.

Or maybe I'm thinking wind-chill rather than still air temperatures? I can't find a reliable source of daily historical weather data here.
Just call it f****g cold enough to crank up the heating and stay indoors
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by printer
We have one furnace about 15 yrs old now, one hot water tank.
Gas $73 per month equal payments
Electricity $70 per month equal payments

Home is well insulated, it's been cooler than norm, outside temp is 14 degrees yet A/C still kicked in as its 25 inside.(guess it's window open time) Even when its cold and damp outside the inside is still warm enough not to need heating this time of year.
We also have always had a programmable electronic stat to control the heat or A/C
yea this time last year we were in the mid 20s had to close the doors today 1 st time since end April
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:22 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

yea this time last year we were in the mid 20s had to close the doors today 1 st time since end April
Am still trying to fight the urge to turn the furnace on - I look like one of those poor little old buggers with 7 sweaters and a mono sock to watch tv
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Am still trying to fight the urge to turn the furnace on - I look like one of those poor little old buggers with 7 sweaters and a mono sock to watch tv
Told the old lady heating stays off to November find other ways to keep warm
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mind you we are forecast 25 tomorrow so thats OK
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:30 am
Sawdust making harpy

Told the old lady heating stays off to November find other ways to keep warm
Are you sure you're not my hubby he said the exact same thing tonight (apart from he's away working in SK) but said (jokingly) I should do more things around the yard or something to keep warm.

I think he realises there's safety in distance
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
This post doesn't tell you everything.

Here is my original post with all the relevant info re house size, age, temps set and such.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=10

One other thing not mentioned in my original post, the furnace is a high efficiency rated a 94% efficient and also has a DC motor to run the fan.
I tried to attach the original thread but couldn't get the damn thing to work so gave up and just wrote the name of the thread and quoted prices!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

we've just bought a 90 year old house here and saw the previous owners gas bill (old lady lives alone). Last January she spent $600 on gas and $200 electric!

the house is 1800 sqft and is insulated and double glazed. What was she doing with all that gas?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:48 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by readytomove
we've just bought a 90 year old house here and saw the previous owners gas bill (old lady lives alone). Last January she spent $600 on gas and $200 electric!

the house is 1800 sqft and is insulated and double glazed. What was she doing with all that gas?
She's an old lady, they feel the cold.

Or maybe the furnace is knackered and the insulation has gaps? You'll find out in January.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

readytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nicereadytomove is just really nice

Originally Posted by fledermaus
She's an old lady, they feel the cold.

Or maybe the furnace is knackered and the insulation has gaps? You'll find out in January.
That's what we figured - she's old so probably heats it to sauna like temperatures.

The furnace should be ok, it's only 4 years old but we do plan on putting in better insulation and windows at some point. January might just take me back to uni days of walking around the house wrapped in a blanket.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting that having an uninsulated basement can really drive your heating costs up as it acts as a heatsink. Worth spending the money to insulate it even if you can't afford to finish it for habitation! We've also found that if we keep our basement heated at a constant temp - 16-18c, it is more economic than just heating when we are down there.

And a slight thread drift on the subject of our basement. It's fully finished with a rec room, laundry room, storage room and bathroom. The windows are north facing so it gets little sun during the day. This makes for cool/cold and we were finding slightly damp conditions, particularly if we didn't open the windows in the summer for good airflow. We recently invested in a dehumidifier which we run when the basement is not in use to keep humidity <55%. The drier air certainly feels warmer down there! I believe that when we start heating it in the winter, there will be less need for the dehumidifier.

Our house has a five zone heating system. We have programmeable thermostats on the main floor and the master bedroom. I will be fitting on for the remaining bedroom zone this winter. Last night I considered turning the heating on for the benefit of our daughter who hasn't quite learned to pull the blanket over herself when it's cold!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Cabin in the woods. Heated by wood. $700/year to heat if the wood is delivered in stove sized chunks. Less if I cut down trees.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:05 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Cabin in the woods. Heated by wood. $700/year to heat if the wood is delivered in stove sized chunks. Less if I cut down trees.
Add in the value of your time (& I imagine you charge yourself out at a prodigous rate) in chopping/splitting/stacking/moving and add that to the $700 and what do you get?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.