Heating?

Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Add in the value of your time (& I imagine you charge yourself out at a prodigous rate) in chopping/splitting/stacking/moving and add that to the $700 and what do you get?
A hefty saving compared to the cost of gym membership.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell, you must be leaving every light on 24/7. our house in Fall river was 3600 sq ft over three levels. Highest electricity bill weve seen in the past 4 years was $160 bi monthly.

Originally Posted by spaceace
Here in Fall River, our electricity bill just landed; $260 for the month, that's for cooking, washing, drying and tv etc

Having said that, our oil burning furnace used to heat the water rads was turned off in June so we've had the luxury of no oil bill this quarter...that will soon change.

We are on well water, but even that's not free...we just replaced our UV water treatment bulb @ $180

Yeah, it's not cheap
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
I can't vouch for Calgary, but we've been at -40 and below for more than 'a few times' over the last couple of winters. If I remember correctly there was a period of several weeks when we rarely got above that temperature.

Or maybe I'm thinking wind-chill rather than still air temperatures? I can't find a reliable source of daily historical weather data here.
Windchill doesn't count.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 2:49 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by linz3112
I tried to attach the original thread but couldn't get the damn thing to work so gave up and just wrote the name of the thread and quoted prices!
If you ever want to do it again just click on the post number in the upper right corner. That will open that post in another screen then copy the URL and put in your new post.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
If you ever want to do it again just click on the post number in the upper right corner. That will open that post in another screen then copy the URL and put in your new post.
Ah-ha! Thanks, I will remember that!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by readytomove
we've just bought a 90 year old house here and saw the previous owners gas bill (old lady lives alone). Last January she spent $600 on gas and $200 electric!

the house is 1800 sqft and is insulated and double glazed. What was she doing with all that gas?
readytomove

We purchased a 1905 brick farmhouse in the Ottawa Valley. I had all new windows and cavity wall insulation. We spent initially $300/mth on heating oil( before installing a wood burner) and $160/mth on electric.

The house was 2200 sqft (including an attic conversion).

Its costs us considerably more in heating/electricity(nearly 2.5 times) in Canada compared to running a similar sized Edwardian house in Suffolk.

You need to consider the type of house you buy in Canada due to the extreme weather condition and what it will cost to run. In Canada my monthly oil/electric bill was 10% of my pay, where as in the UK it is now 2.6%.
It is wise to look at the type of house i.e construction material, build quality and running cost before you buy any homes especially in Canada.

Hudd
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have your own woodlot, I wouldnt say that putting in a wood burner will lower your costs that much, but at least wood is carbon neutral.

Nice to have a wood fire, but unless you have a woodburning boiler and radiators or some similar system, the heat seems very localised to me.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:06 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on the type/layout of the house, our wood stove heats the top two floors of our 2500sqft house...
We buy wood in but we also supplement from our own woodland..
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
Unless you have your own woodlot, I wouldnt say that putting in a wood burner will lower your costs that much, but at least wood is carbon neutral.

Nice to have a wood fire, but unless you have a woodburning boiler and radiators or some similar system, the heat seems very localised to me.
iank

I got my wood from the forestry commission as "free" off cuts, Then it was a 25 mile road trip, 10 weekends a year. Therefore you right it cost you money to burn wood. Hard cash it may have cost $100 in fuel, but the the couple of hundred hours spent collecting, cutting, splitting and transferring to my house has some value in time.

We burnt wood for security, due to loss of power in winter which we did have living in rural Canada. I can remember we lost power one very cold winter and the house was 5C when I awoke.

hudd
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
iank

I got my wood from the forestry commission as "free" off cuts, Then it was a 25 mile road trip, 10 weekends a year. Therefore you right it cost you money to burn wood. Hard cash it may have cost $100 in fuel, but the the couple of hundred hours spent collecting, cutting, splitting and transferring to my house has some value in time.

We burnt wood for security, due to loss of power in winter which we did have living in rural Canada. I can remember we lost power one very cold winter and the house was 5C when I awoke.

hudd
Thats a good deal none the less. Many people are buying seasoned wood for maybe $200-300 a cord.

I dont disagree though, in rural bits of Canada where power outages in bad weather are a part of life, a plan B is essential. Forced air oil or gas heat wont do you much good in a power outage any more than electric heating, so you really would be well advised to have a wood stove or fireplace, or a generator to run the fans and pumps, or both!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:20 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

5oC!! ..... Luxury..