Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance Question

Health Insurance Question

Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Health Insurance Question

So I realised the other day that my health insurance expired quite a few months ago! Good job I haven't been ill in that time. But seeing everyone around my getting ill with the flu etc. It made me look into my coverage. So, I need to get another policy.

I am in BC, am on implied status as I applied to extend my tourist status in December. I am awaiting a PR application. My gf was approved as a sponsor in November and now we are just waiting.

Whilst looking online at medical coverage for myself, I read that I may be able to be covered by my gf's MSP as she is a BC Resident and I have a PR application in process?

This is what I read:
A spouse or a child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/msp_register.html

Anyone had any experience of this?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:23 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Insurance Question

Depends if they consider "spouse" to be "partner" or not I'd guess (you mention your "girlfriend" rather than wife).
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Depends if they consider "spouse" to be "partner" or not I'd guess (you mention your "girlfriend" rather than wife).
Their definition of spouse is:

Spouse - a resident who is either married to or is living and cohabiting in a marriage-like relationship with the applicant, and may be of the same gender as the applicant. (Note: in the case of divorce, the former spouse is no longer eligible for coverage as a dependent and must apply for separate coverage.)

I am living with my gf and have been for over a year (which is obviously a pre-req for my PR application).

Last edited by burks; Jan 7th 2014 at 8:50 pm. Reason: Forgot to close bracket!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just phone MSP and ask? If el;eligible you can register at the same time.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
So I realised the other day that my health insurance expired quite a few months ago! Good job I haven't been ill in that time. But seeing everyone around my getting ill with the flu etc. It made me look into my coverage. So, I need to get another policy.

I am in BC, am on implied status as I applied to extend my tourist status in December. I am awaiting a PR application. My gf was approved as a sponsor in November and now we are just waiting.

Whilst looking online at medical coverage for myself, I read that I may be able to be covered by my gf's MSP as she is a BC Resident and I have a PR application in process?

This is what I read:
A spouse or a child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence status has been accepted for processing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), and the application remains active http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/msp_register.html

Anyone had any experience of this?
Specific details covering this here:
http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/info...-in-canada.pdf
Most immigration documents, when submitted with the required MSP form, provide sufficient information for MSP to determine whether a person qualifies for benefits. There are circumstances where additional documentation is required.

If, for example, a spouse/child has visitor status in Canada and his/her papers do not state “Case Type 17” or provide any other indication that permanent resident status has been applied for, the MSP form should be submitted with copies of as many of the following as possible

a photocopy of any immigration document he/she may hold

any relevant letters issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) to the applicant or sponsor

proof that the application fee for permanent resident status has been paid to CIC on line or through a financial institution

the identity page of the spouse/child’s passport and any other pages stamped by CIC or the Canada Border Services Agency

a copy of the spouse/child’s birth certificate if he/she is a United States citizen

pages 1 and 2 from the CIC e-Client Application Status web site showing the receipt and processing date of the application for permanent resident status (www.cic.gc.ca ; click on Check Application Status)
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the info

I called MSP and from the information I gave them I was told that I should be able to be covered by my gf's MSP. I need to provide proof that I have applied for and paid for my PR, and that it is in process (my sponsor being approved).

I am sending off the forms today so fingers crossed all will be good!
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

haver is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also get private health insurance while you await the MSP coverage.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haver
You could also get private health insurance while you await the MSP coverage.
That's what I have done previously. But seeing as how I should be able to be covered by MSP from Feb 1st I should be good!