Brandon

Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

gemima whaley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brandon

Hi y`all I am new to this, we are the Whaley`s I am Gemma (mum) from York in the UK moving to Brandon MB in March 2014, husband has secured a job we just now need to ship over the tool box find a house open a bank account sort the kids schools plus another million things !!!!!! I came to this thread as I was looking for shipping companies then I noticed 1 reply was from an expat of York hello its raining here today then to my surpirse there was a reply from an expat that has moved to Brandon your the first i`ve come across
How is Brandon? it looks small and quite very mixed reviews online, wow I am so sorry for taking this thread off course please forgive me
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brandon

Hi and welcome to BE!

I moved your post to a thread of it's own, it's always better to start your own thread so you get replies that are aimed at you and not someone else!

I believe there are a few people in the Brandon area on BE, if you do a search.

Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for that I`m new to this just finding my way around
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gemima, welcome to BE from me too, I'm sure we can all help to get you through this exciting time and stay sane!

Just to check that Siouxie is right (she always is, but sometimes has more abilities than most of us with the search function). I just search Brandon and got lots of info, including on shipping companies...best of luck
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi MillieF I have been searching and come across ALOT of info it just seems Brandon is not that popular a place with immigrants, we are going where the work is good spent several months viewing prospective companies doing skype interviews etc the company in Brandon ticked all boxes, I do have a huge amount of info on Brandon from my husbands new employers but its a little different from having first hand expat info as well.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Gemima, you did realise that I meant search on this forum, inside British Expats? The search facility on the different headings "Canada", "Maple Leaf" etc always comes up with the word you looked for highlighted....I found it was really helpful when we were planning to move. Best of luck
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Brandon may well tick all the boxes if you have a guaranteed job.
Its a speed bump between Winnipeg and Regina
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MillieF
Gemima, you did realise that I meant search on this forum, inside British Expats? The search facility on the different headings "Canada", "Maple Leaf" etc always comes up with the word you looked for highlighted....I found it was really helpful when we were planning to move. Best of luck
hi yes i did realise you meant on this forum I am just searching now.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Brandon may well tick all the boxes if you have a guaranteed job.
Its a speed bump between Winnipeg and Regina
Brandon on its own did not tick all of our boxes but the company did, we are country people at heart so will eventually move out of Brandon into the more rural areas within a reasonable commuting distance of Brandon of course.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gemima, I moved to Brandon 3 weeks ago, so I don't claim to be an expert, I know there's a few others on here who have been here for years!

Anyway, first impressions are very good, it's got most the stuff you'll need, and if not, Winnipeg is only a couple of hours away. The locals i've met so far have all been friendly and helpful.

What line of work brings you to Brandon?
Old Oct 15th 2013, 2:07 am
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Hi,

My family have lived in Brandon for 21 years, we just landed 2months ago, but knew lots of folks before we got here. When you visit 24 times in 21 years you get to know lots of people.

My OH got a full time teachers job, 13 days after landing, so its a good place to get a job and is an up and coming city, Westjet now have a daily service from Calgary, a good sign that things are on the up.

If you need any help with anything, we know lots of people who can sort you out.

Good luck

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 15th 2013, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

Hi Gemima,

Welcome to Manitoba!

I'm a recent mover to Winnipeg and have only been to Brandon once. To me it seemed like Winnipeg's little brother (nice enough) and I'm sure you'll find a country town you like, once you get here.

March will still be pretty cold, but I'm sure you know that already!
Old Oct 15th 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Gemima,

You looking for me? We moved to a tiny community called Medora about 1 hour out of Brandon from Linton on Ouse just over 2 years ago. We not only love Medora but enjoy shopping trips to Brandon about once a fortnight. Brandon has just about all we need in the way of shopping, eateries and bars etc. Once in a while we will take a trip to Winnipeg or Minot or Fargo for a bit of a blowout but otherwise Brandon is fine. All the people that we have come across have been lovely, polite and helpful. I really think they like the English. We are still a bit of a novelty out here.
I can't really give you a day to day living and working in Brandon opinion, Chiefmissile would be your best bet for that.
However for movers, we used GB Lines. Would thoroughly recommend them, maybe not the cheapest but they did a great job on our move.
If you need any info then just drop us a line, we will be glad to help.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

KJCMedora2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gemima, I'm GC44's other half and was born and bred in good old York! as George said, we have been here just over 2 years and absolutely love it. Medora is small, population approximately 45, which, as you know is totally different from York! We have settled in really well and even our 14 year old daughter loves it. We do go to visit Brandon for shopping and a little bit of civilisation now and then and even managed to bump into a Welsh couple one day at the cheese counter in Sobey's. The locals will love your accent, we still get questioned as to where we are from and people saying how much they like our accent. If you need any info at all then please message us and we will do our best to help.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

ttj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gemima

I my husband and 3 children moved from the UK in May 2011 not far from Brandon, more into the country as you get more for your money!!!

Brandon seems to be a up and coming place to be.... Lots of shops etc....

My husband shipped over his heavy tools along with all of our personal belongings and furniture etc, very reasonable price and not at all damaged.. We had so many quotes at shocking prices....... ( id have to ask hubby as I cant remember it)

What kind of work will your husband be doing?

I would be more than happy to help with any question you have.....

Tracey!

Last edited by ttj1; Oct 24th 2013 at 8:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.