Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Health Care in New Glasgow area

Health Care in New Glasgow area

Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice
Default Health Care in New Glasgow area

I've just had my medical and everything is fine, no problems. I have a pacemaker and will need it checked annually. I've been in contact with the Health Authority asking about GPs and there aren't any, but I've been told there may be by the summer/fall. I've asked what do I need to do about my pacemaker check which is due in August, and I've been told I need a GP's referral! If I haven't got a GP I can try a walk-in clinic and somebody there may (with the emphasis on may) be able to give me a referral. My next appt is due in August and I was told there may be a long waiting list so I'll need to do something soon after I've arrived in April. I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for! How do others in the New Glasgow area find the health care? I guess I've got used to the NHS and have never had any concerns about getting a GP despite moving from one health authority to another.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Care in New Glasgow area

According to the finding doctor feature on the health site

Physicians Accepting New Patients in New Glasgow
Eastside Collabrative Practice

*Telephone Number for a Registration List - potential patients are asked to call this number and register to be added to a list.*

As of December 9, 2009
902-752-3154
It does refer to a list but I know last year it just said "none" so maybe things are better than they were.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:08 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Health care is ok here, GPs are more for health checks and ongoing issues rather than anything that requires some immediate or urgent assistance. The walk-in clinic is good if it's open when you're sick and you need antibiotics or some quick advice. ER at the hospital is there for 24/7 emergency/urgency stuff. They all require a valid MSI card, which you apply for and obtain with a valid PR card or work permit.

Sounds like you probably need a GP though, and a GP won't take you on without an MSI card, even if you can find one that is taking on new patients (there are a lot of GPs around here but they're all incredibly busy).

Other than contacting the GPs/clinics directly, the only thing I can think of is considering getting the pacemaker checkup done early in the UK, just before you leave??

Originally Posted by NoreenC
I've just had my medical and everything is fine, no problems. I have a pacemaker and will need it checked annually. I've been in contact with the Health Authority asking about GPs and there aren't any, but I've been told there may be by the summer/fall. I've asked what do I need to do about my pacemaker check which is due in August, and I've been told I need a GP's referral! If I haven't got a GP I can try a walk-in clinic and somebody there may (with the emphasis on may) be able to give me a referral. My next appt is due in August and I was told there may be a long waiting list so I'll need to do something soon after I've arrived in April. I'm beginning to wonder what I've let myself in for! How do others in the New Glasgow area find the health care? I guess I've got used to the NHS and have never had any concerns about getting a GP despite moving from one health authority to another.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:54 am
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

Cookie and The Dignans live in N.G. Try pm'ing them.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:53 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived in New Glasgow I found it difficult to get registered with a doctor so used the walk-in clinic twice. On one of those visits I required a hospital referral which was no problem for them to do and I got my appointment for 3 weeks later (non-urgent matter, pretty fast I would say). My son also got a referral and his appointment was 10 days later (again, non-urgent).

Around 14 months ago I registered with a Dr and have just phoned them but they say they are not taking on any patients at this time. However, in a few months time our new Lawton's building will be completed and there will be several Doctors offices based there so maybe they will extend their patient lists or perhaps get some new doctors in.

You should still easily get a hospital referral from the Walk-in Clinic (next to Sobeys, Aberdeen Mall). It's open Mon-Fri from 5pm-9pm, and 9am-1pm on Saturday and Public Holidays. You can call them to enquire on 1 (902) 752-7125.