Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Having some wobbles- schools

Having some wobbles- schools

Old May 17th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Having some wobbles- schools

Went to an open evening at my son's UK school (due to start September) last night. We are really hoping to be out in Calgary by then but we may be forced into a plan B in case of any delays to WPs etc (such long wait times now).

Its such a lovely school. Its small. 110-115 pupils. They do the only hot completely freshly prepared lunch in the whole of our LEA. Fab food, no processed food at all. All kids sit at family group tables, with year 6 servers. Its lovely. I'm really sad he won't get to experience that. Also its really good because its all nut free and he has severe allergies, he would be able to eat all of it and be normal.

So I'm sad that:
1. they don't go in for the hot meal thing in canada (well calgary)
2. they don't go in for the small school thing

I'm also sad as our house (we've lived in for 10 years) looks showhome splendid for sale and it reminds me how much I love it. Its over 200 years old. I will miss it.

Gryphea
Old May 17th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Having some wobbles- schools

Originally Posted by gryphea
Went to an open evening at my son's UK school (due to start September) last night. We are really hoping to be out in Calgary by then but we may be forced into a plan B in case of any delays to WPs etc (such long wait times now).

Its such a lovely school. Its small. 110-115 pupils. They do the only hot completely freshly prepared lunch in the whole of our LEA. Fab food, no processed food at all. All kids sit at family group tables, with year 6 servers. Its lovely. I'm really sad he won't get to experience that. Also its really good because its all nut free and he has severe allergies, he would be able to eat all of it and be normal.

So I'm sad that:

I'm also sad as our house (we've lived in for 10 years) looks showhome splendid for sale and it reminds me how much I love it. Its over 200 years old. I will miss it.

Gryphea
HI
I know what you mean, that nostalgia thingy can creep up on you when your not looking whenever i feel it coming on i just focus on the reasons why i chose canada in the first place, usually works
Old May 17th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Your not the only one. We are due to move in Feb 08 and I can not help but think "I am doing the right thing". We have started doing things around the house, like extending the bathroom and fitting a new suite, Fitting a new kitchen, painting rooms etc etc - and I have fell in love with my house all over again.

We know we want to move to Canada BUT..................................... the doubts are there too.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Gryph - totally understand !

My kids have got three more days at their school - it's a lovely school - small, villagey, friendly, why are we moving again ?? A little school friend gave my oldest a hand-made 'I'll miss you' card yesterday, and that was it, I was off

I'm feeling very emotional this week - it's all in the final countdown - I'm not feeling wobbly about actually going to Canada - I think I am just absorbing the whole families fears and worries too and I'm fit to burst. Tears are very close to the surface at the moment and we've still got the leaving do to deal with on Sunday ... I've had several 'goodbye' sessions, and it's truly awful !! But I keep telling everyone, and myself, that we'll be back next summer.

Why does something that you dream of, plot and plan for ages, suddenly condense into sheer fear at certain moments ?!

I'm finding that being brave this last week or two is physically and emotionally knackering ....

BUT, and it's a big BUT - there are also SO many great things about this new chapter in our lives - I know it will be OK eventually - but someone might have to pick up the emotional train wreckage on the other side of the pond, and I hope I have the energy and excitement to do that ! Hopefully, it will only be for a very short time - and in a matter of days, or weeks, we'll all be off and running in Alberta .... POSITIVE THINKING

And what's the worst that can happen - we all go back again, a fair few quid poorer ? That is so not on my agenda - but I'm not naive enough to think that it might not happen ...

In amongst all this worry, wobbles and anxiety, the kids out of all of us, will be fine and settle quickly into whichever school you choose. They will be teaching us a thing or two about new chapters in lives !
Old May 17th 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Gryp

Agree with the other posters on this you are just having the wobbles which everyone has this close - look at me with Phil over there already there is now no turning back for us as a family and I dont know whether it makes the wobbles worse or not!

Nate has been selected to go to one of the best schools in our area and it really upsets me that he will not be going there with his mates - I see them all getting excited about going and sometimes feel that Nate is left to the sidelines as although he has a place he wont be going.

Hannah our 12 year old only has5 more days in the UK - she is so excited and all I can think about is having to leave her with her dad for about 7 weeks whilst me and Nate come home to finish the pack and his schooling off. Although she drives me mad I will miss her so much - but shhhh dont tell her that bit haha.

I have actually spoken to the kids Canadian school on two occassions now. I spoke to the head of Hannah's grade year and also the school counsellor and feel alot more calmer about the school thing - they seem to have really but my mind at rest.

Well am waffling a bit now but still think the collywobbles are only to be expected.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:23 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Really feel for you guys. It's a very emotional and draining time. By the time we got on the plane, OH and I were knackered but we knew we were following our dream.

Remember that you will see your family and friends again so don't think that you won't. Email is a godsend and you can pick up the telephone for a chat just like you do at home.

You are just moving into a new and exciting chapter in your life. Try not to worry about your kids as they will settle in really quickly at school and very quickly have friends. Kids are a friendly bunch over here.

Just keep focusing on why you are moving and best wishes to you all.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eastbound
HI
I know what you mean, that nostalgia thingy can creep up on you when your not looking whenever i feel it coming on i just focus on the reasons why i chose canada in the first place, usually works

I know- its just a momnet- a long one
Old May 17th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karla03
Your not the only one. We are due to move in Feb 08 and I can not help but think "I am doing the right thing". We have started doing things around the house, like extending the bathroom and fitting a new suite, Fitting a new kitchen, painting rooms etc etc - and I have fell in love with my house all over again.

We know we want to move to Canada BUT..................................... the doubts are there too.
Glad its not just me!
Old May 17th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ann m
Gryph - totally understand !

My kids have got three more days at their school - it's a lovely school - small, villagey, friendly, why are we moving again ?? A little school friend gave my oldest a hand-made 'I'll miss you' card yesterday, and that was it, I was off

I'm not surprised- it must be even trickier with slightly older ones.

I'm feeling very emotional this week - it's all in the final countdown - I'm not feeling wobbly about actually going to Canada - I think I am just absorbing the whole families fears and worries too and I'm fit to burst.

I think women do that- absorb everyone elses stress- I do anyway. Not sure why!Tears are very close to the surface at the moment and we've still got the leaving do to deal with on Sunday ... I've had several 'goodbye' sessions, and it's truly awful !! But I keep telling everyone, and myself, that we'll be back next summer.

I have been thinking of you. How are you living without furniture?

Why does something that you dream of, plot and plan for ages, suddenly condense into sheer fear at certain moments ?!

I'm finding that being brave this last week or two is physically and emotionally knackering ....

I think you are probably right, its just scarey isn't it. More so if your life in UK is actually quite nice.

BUT, and it's a big BUT - there are also SO many great things about this new chapter in our lives - I know it will be OK eventually - but someone might have to pick up the emotional train wreckage on the other side of the pond, and I hope I have the energy and excitement to do that ! Hopefully, it will only be for a very short time - and in a matter of days, or weeks, we'll all be off and running in Alberta .... POSITIVE THINKING

At least I know that you'll be there to pick up my train wreckage?!!!!?!

And what's the worst that can happen - we all go back again, a fair few quid poorer ? That is so not on my agenda - but I'm not naive enough to think that it might not happen ...

me too- after all we are only coming out on WP (and I'm not sure I could cope mentally with going out for longer at the mo- even though its fully in our plans to go for PNP once there). it comforts me knowing I can come back!
In amongst all this worry, wobbles and anxiety, the kids out of all of us, will be fine and settle quickly into whichever school you choose.

I know- I mean the UK school isn't the best in Britain. it doesn't even get outstanding from ofsted so of course its not the best school in the world, and I Know he will be happy and settled in most places (I just wish those places had nice hot lunches!) especially those with football fields.

They will be teaching us a thing or two about new chapters in lives !

sending you some virtual tissues

Gryph
Old May 17th 2007, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Gryp

Agree with the other posters on this you are just having the wobbles which everyone has this close - look at me with Phil over there already there is now no turning back for us as a family and I dont know whether it makes the wobbles worse or not!

Nate has been selected to go to one of the best schools in our area and it really upsets me that he will not be going there with his mates - I see them all getting excited about going and sometimes feel that Nate is left to the sidelines as although he has a place he wont be going.

Hannah our 12 year old only has5 more days in the UK - she is so excited and all I can think about is having to leave her with her dad for about 7 weeks whilst me and Nate come home to finish the pack and his schooling off. Although she drives me mad I will miss her so much - but shhhh dont tell her that bit haha.

I have actually spoken to the kids Canadian school on two occassions now. I spoke to the head of Hannah's grade year and also the school counsellor and feel alot more calmer about the school thing - they seem to have really but my mind at rest.

Well am waffling a bit now but still think the collywobbles are only to be expected.
I have seen your wobbles, I know its all going to be all right for erveryone- its just scarey isn't it?

Also I didn't know you had a son called Nate. I love the name!

Best wishes

Gryph
Old May 17th 2007, 12:50 pm
Suzy Q

Suzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud ofSuzyanne has much to be proud of

Me and my two girls are having a few wobbles too, Hubby is being the tough guy.

Mine was at my daughters 5th Birthday Party 2 wks ago, had a magician and face painter the whole works and she invited everyone from school, all her cousins and friends children. Good job I didn't have my face painted!!

6yr old daughter had a major one last week at bedtime, she is a confident little girl and was really concerned that nobody would want to be her friend when we get to Canada.

5yr old got a card from a little girl in her class saying how much she was going to miss her, that set me off again.

We have had a chat promised the girls that if either of them still don't like it by the time oldest one is 10yrs old (gives us 4yrs to settle) we will come back.

I'm sure we will have a few more wobbles to get through, even Hubby but at the end of the day it's what we have being dreaming of for a long time. Exciting, Scarey and New.

Will also be first time that we have bought a house due to living in Army quarters since we got married.
Old May 17th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Suzyanne
Me and my two girls are having a few wobbles too, Hubby is being the tough guy.

Mine was at my daughters 5th Birthday Party 2 wks ago, had a magician and face painter the whole works and she invited everyone from school, all her cousins and friends children. Good job I didn't have my face painted!!

6yr old daughter had a major one last week at bedtime, she is a confident little girl and was really concerned that nobody would want to be her friend when we get to Canada.

5yr old got a card from a little girl in her class saying how much she was going to miss her, that set me off again.

We have had a chat promised the girls that if either of them still don't like it by the time oldest one is 10yrs old (gives us 4yrs to settle) we will come back.

I'm sure we will have a few more wobbles to get through, even Hubby but at the end of the day it's what we have being dreaming of for a long time. Exciting, Scarey and New.

Will also be first time that we have bought a house due to living in Army quarters since we got married.
My hubby doesn't get time to have wobbles. Its only when you have time to think that its really scarey. EEK. Exciting but scarey!

Gryphea
Old May 17th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen your wobbles, I know its all going to be all right for erveryone- its just scarey isn't it?

Also I didn't know you had a son called Nate. I love the name!

Best wishes

Gryph
Well Gryph

He is actually called Nathan but we shorten it to Nate - he only gets the Nathan when he is in BIG TROUBLE !!!!

Gay
x
Old May 17th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Well Gryph

He is actually called Nathan but we shorten it to Nate - he only gets the Nathan when he is in BIG TROUBLE !!!!

Gay
x
Nathan is fab too though. I am a big guys and dolls fan and Nathan detroit is the man!
Old May 17th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm sad that:

Gryphea
I hear what you are saying and feel for you all. I have been an emotional wreck since surrounding myself in boxes and living in a bare apt ( very depressing to look at bare walls). I am moving from within the same province to Montreal so i can only imagine how you all feel having to pack everything up and move across the pond.Good luck to you all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.