Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

have air fares gone up??

have air fares gone up??

Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:47 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light
Default have air fares gone up??

HI All

I have been waiting to book my daughters flight to come over and visit, and hoped they would go down and instead they have went up nearly 70 - 80 pounds. Is there any reasons why, have I missed a big news announcement. My other daughter is flying back with her sister for a holiday and that flight doesn't seem to have changed. It has went up from about 750 to about 828 return glasgow to Toronto. We are tied to the dates both of them can fly so I am wary of holding off too long but nearly 1700 pounds is a lot of money for two flights.
Irene
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:02 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have air fares gone up??

This happened to us a couple of years ago, we waited too long and the flights went up from about $700 return to $900. I'd get them booked as soon as you can so it doesn't go up anymore!
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Madnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud of

My parents and in-laws have just booked up to come over too and noticed the same. Higher airport taxes maybe?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:43 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

It is the way the airlines sell their tickets. They sell the cheapest tickets first (because they get to keep your money longer and you have more choice). Once the cheapest are sold they sell the next price bracket and so on. Generally, the closer you are to flight time the more expensive it will be.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 12:59 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Getting cheaper flights closer to the day doesn't work anymore, hasn't for a few years. On top of that the prices seem generally higher.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:20 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Getting cheaper flights closer to the day doesn't work anymore, hasn't for a few years. On top of that the prices seem generally higher.
Worked for me last year. Booked a few weeks ahead of time and the flight from London to Toronto was under 200 quid taxes included.

Doesn't seem any different this year. Flight on the 18th April on the same route is listed for under 200 quid at CanadianAffair.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

For fatties, yes - if you fly samoa airlines.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/int...logram/1109896
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Worked for me last year. Booked a few weeks ahead of time and the flight from London to Toronto was under 200 quid taxes included.

Doesn't seem any different this year. Flight on the 18th April on the same route is listed for under 200 quid at CanadianAffair.
$400 toronto to gatwick one way, they used to be much cheaper.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:47 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I think as of 1st April airport tax has gone up, so that will add £60-£80 extra to a ticket
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by No1_mom
HI All

I have been waiting to book my daughters flight to come over and visit, and hoped they would go down and instead they have went up nearly 70 - 80 pounds. Is there any reasons why, have I missed a big news announcement. My other daughter is flying back with her sister for a holiday and that flight doesn't seem to have changed. It has went up from about 750 to about 828 return glasgow to Toronto. We are tied to the dates both of them can fly so I am wary of holding off too long but nearly 1700 pounds is a lot of money for two flights.
Irene
"it has went up, "they have went up" - is that Scottish?

It used to be many years ago that the closer you booked, the cheaper the price. Nowadays, it seems to be that the longer you wait, the more they increase the price. The only option is a last minute waiting list...
Now that the winter has ended, it's going to get busier with tourists. Usually flights were fairly cheap until the end of May. Have you tried Air Transat or Canadian Affair?

Last edited by Scribble; Apr 2nd 2013 at 9:37 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:51 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

$400 toronto to gatwick one way, they used to be much cheaper.
Where are you getting this, please point me in that direction, and does that include a hefty tax?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:29 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Where are you getting this, please point me in that direction, and does that include a hefty tax?
From the Canadian Affair website, leaving in April. Taxes etc included. So around 800 return.i got a similar fare for June.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 12:42 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

From the Canadian Affair website, leaving in April. Taxes etc included. So around 800 return.i got a similar fare for June.
I need the same fare for July if anyone manages to come across it.

The cheapest I am finding right now for 1 child and adult is $2200
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 1:04 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I need the same fare for July if anyone manages to come across it.

The cheapest I am finding right now for 1 child and adult is $2200
As soon as the schools are on vac it goes up. Supply and demand.