Reload this Page >

Engineering Salaries - Montreal

Engineering Salaries - Montreal

Old Mar 31st 2013, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

monsoon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering Salaries - Montreal

Hi all

Hoping somebody is kind enough to give me some advice! I am a 29 year old from UK, systems engineer in aerospace industry (bachelors degree, about 5 years experience). Currently considering a job offer in Montreal, similar job to that which I do in UK, salary offered is 62k CAD with extras (bonus, healthcare etc). Could anybody recommend if this sounds reasonable?

From research online (including this forum) it seems to be somewhat lower than average, however it is not always clear what the averages quoted include...

I think where salary is concerned it is always more important what it is worth to the individual, ie I'm pretty sure it would result in an increase in standard of living from that in UK (I guess there is a good chance the Canadian employer know this too which may bias any offer) and also the opportunity to live and work in Canada. But still, it is good to know how it compares to the market.

Would appreciate any opinions, have a nice day!

M
Old Mar 31st 2013, 9:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering Salaries - Montreal

Originally Posted by monsoon04
I'm pretty sure it would result in an increase in standard of living from that in UK (I guess there is a good chance the Canadian employer know this too which may bias any offer)
M
How would a Canadian employer know what your UK standard of living is? I doubt they'd care. They'll offer as little as they think is realisitc to find the skills they need for the job.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Seal Clubber is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the salary bracket for your job in the UK right now?
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:54 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about the aerospace industry but sounds about right civil/municipal engineering.

In engineering, I've always found that if the salary seems ok to you, take it and if you exceed their expectations, the will pay accordingly. Or just get where you want to go, get started and then shop yourself around.

And, for me, I'd expect to take a $20K Cad cut in salary if I was moving back to Scotland.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Fitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really niceFitzer is just really nice

Does sound about right, although it depends on the role. I work with a stack of electronic and software engineers; there seems to be a constant supply via McGill.

Couple of things to note, that 62 number will be hit hard by tax. Healthcare is good, but it is not like the UK (note from Doctor, straight to BUPA and all done within a month). My private healthcare covers a modest amount of ailments and we use the Quebec system to get most things fixed. The dental is good though.

If you are at Bombardier or Royce I seem to recall most of their sites are on the fringe of town, beside the airport and technopark. You will need likely need a car to get there, although I know two people who ride in to that zone on push-bikes. A terrifying proposition and I have not heard from either in a while. Cars are pricey, but the Metro+Bus does connect and are efficient and cheap.

My simplistic, glib and uninformed-of-your-wider-wishes reply is "go on, do it, you will love this city. Especially with spring summer on the way".
Old Apr 1st 2013, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

alexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nicealexbellamy is just really nice

Originally Posted by monsoon04
Hi all

Hoping somebody is kind enough to give me some advice! I am a 29 year old from UK, systems engineer in aerospace industry (bachelors degree, about 5 years experience). Currently considering a job offer in Montreal, similar job to that which I do in UK, salary offered is 62k CAD with extras (bonus, healthcare etc). Could anybody recommend if this sounds reasonable?

From research online (including this forum) it seems to be somewhat lower than average, however it is not always clear what the averages quoted include...

I think where salary is concerned it is always more important what it is worth to the individual, ie I'm pretty sure it would result in an increase in standard of living from that in UK (I guess there is a good chance the Canadian employer know this too which may bias any offer) and also the opportunity to live and work in Canada. But still, it is good to know how it compares to the market.

Would appreciate any opinions, have a nice day!

M
Yes that sounds reasonable for 5 years experience. Especially if you qualify for the tax refund for researchers deal.

Here

I'm guessing your offer is for the same place I work, if so feel free to drop me a PM and I'll share my email address if you have any queries about the process.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Don't know about the aerospace industry but sounds about right civil/municipal engineering.

In engineering, I've always found that if the salary seems ok to you, take it and if you exceed their expectations, the will pay accordingly. Or just get where you want to go, get started and then shop yourself around.

And, for me, I'd expect to take a $20K Cad cut in salary if I was moving back to Scotland.
Thanks for the reply Hawk13, I agree with your opinion, it is more about the opportunity for me and I have found that generally employers are reasonable with pay increases if you perform well. It is good to know that the offer is in the correct bracket.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fitzer
Does sound about right, although it depends on the role. I work with a stack of electronic and software engineers; there seems to be a constant supply via McGill.

Couple of things to note, that 62 number will be hit hard by tax. Healthcare is good, but it is not like the UK (note from Doctor, straight to BUPA and all done within a month). My private healthcare covers a modest amount of ailments and we use the Quebec system to get most things fixed. The dental is good though.

If you are at Bombardier or Royce I seem to recall most of their sites are on the fringe of town, beside the airport and technopark. You will need likely need a car to get there, although I know two people who ride in to that zone on push-bikes. A terrifying proposition and I have not heard from either in a while. Cars are pricey, but the Metro+Bus does connect and are efficient and cheap.

My simplistic, glib and uninformed-of-your-wider-wishes reply is "go on, do it, you will love this city. Especially with spring summer on the way".
Thanks for the info Fitzer. I would try to use public transport where possible but I think I will give the bike a miss!
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 2:21 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I was offered an aerospace job in Mirabel just over two years ago. The salary you mention seems about right for the experience.

I ended up taking a different role in Ottawa as a System Engineer with a defense company....soz should say System Designer due to the PEng nonsense.