Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used Canadain Affair Airlines??

Has anyone used Canadain Affair Airlines??

Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone used Canadain Affair Airlines??

Wow !!!!

Thanks to you all for the info!!

We did know they used other airlines, I was just in a rush to get thread started b4 I collected my kids from school!!

So..... from reading your posts, most of you would recommend premier seating and pre-booking then?

We plan to go to Halifax for scouting trip, (hopefully in June!!) so we don`t have much choice on departure airport from what we have read? Birmingham would be nearer, but if we have to travel further , then so be it!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twink001

So..... from reading your posts, most of you would recommend premier seating and pre-booking then?
Depends how tall you are and how much not having the legroom would bother you?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Depends how tall you are and how much not having the legroom would bother you?
I`m only 5ft 2" !!! OH taller, but got got two small girls (6 & 9) so maybe extra space would benefit???
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

We plan to go to Halifax for scouting trip, (hopefully in June!!) so we don`t have much choice on departure airport from what we have read? Birmingham would be nearer, but if we have to travel further , then so be it!!
Maybe wrong but I didn't think Canadian Affair offered flights Birmingham to Halifax. We're flying with them in July to Fredericton via Halifax and are travelling to Gatwick. Are you planning Birmingham/Toronto/Halifax?

Lynne
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beastie
Maybe wrong but I didn't think Canadian Affair offered flights Birmingham to Halifax. We're flying with them in July to Fredericton via Halifax and are travelling to Gatwick. Are you planning Birmingham/Toronto/Halifax?

Lynne
No - def not!! We would have to travel to Gatwick - long journey from west Mids!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough have just landed back in Vancouver today on Air Transat. That flight was bookable through Canadian Affair, but after comparing costs we did it through Air Transat directly as it was ever-so-marginally cheaper; always check with the airline as well as the booking agent!

Have flown regularly with all the cheapie charters over the past ten years or so, have found MyTravel to be the worst with regard to aircraft, rescheduling and unserviceability, Thomas Cook probably the best. Air Transat, this last trip in particular, have been very good, very friendly staff and spot on time, but they do seem to have the worst seat pitch.

Zoom seem to be somewhere in the middle - as they are not part of the above cartel of 'Canadian Affair' airlines (at least, last time I checked) you'll often get differing prices (plus or minus, depending on flight) and different date options with them, so always worth checking.

Would say that prebooking seats is probably worthwhile if there's more than one of you and you have an aisle/window preference, as especially during peak seasons the flights can be absolutely full.

We've never bothered paying for an 'upgrade'; it's a personal thing, but to my mind air travel is all pretty horrible these days, the romance is well and truly gone. I know I'm not going to enjoy it whatever so just hunker down with the earplugs and shut my eyes for the duration. Wherever you've paid to sit in the plane you might be sat next to a screaming kid (no offence, parents) or a smelly person for nine hours.

It's purely pot luck: we've had several 'economy seating' flights that are partially empty and been more than happy with the extra leg/liedown room three seats to yourself offers! I'll take my chances with the rest of the tightwads!

As long as they get you there when they say they're going to, that's the main thing in my book. And by and large, they seem to. Much of a muchness.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

I'm flying out to Halifax on 22 May with Canadian Affair - used them a few times when we lived out there and never had any problems with them. Reference pricing it is ususaly worth watching their flight prices for a few weeks before you book - my flights started out at £300 for a return flight and I watched them come down to my final price of £198 return. I daren't let it go any lower incase it suddenly jumped back to £300 - but £198 return is a great price, Air Canada wanted over £500 for the same flight dates!

Liff
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

mikeand kerenza is an unknown quantity at this point

Used them for NS, good value for money, Thomas cook flight had good leg room, this year is Airtransat for NB so we'll see !
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

You get what you pay for, as long as you have an aisle seat and take your own food you will be ok.

At least they treat you a bit better than AC and BA. I have been on 5 total BA flights in my life and out of all the staff on the flights only 1 person was nice and went out of their way to help as much as possible. AC, don't even bother trying to get anywhere.

Zoom are the best though.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny how people have such completely different experiences of the 'same' thing.

I have flown BA, KLM and Air France into Montreal. AF had an edge with personal TV screens...but I'll bet others have had them on the airlines that didn't have them for me.

I've booked Canadian Affair and Zoom for Gatwick-Montreal. Flights were about half the cost of the others and the only difference between them and BA/KLM was paying for drinks. Save me £200 or £300 and I'll happily pay for drinks.

There was never an option for extra leg room with CanAffair when I was booking this route (2003/04) but there was plenty of room anyway. And I was used to the seat in front pushing into my knees on package flights to the Med.

The crews? Absolutely identical in terms of attentiveness, friendliness and service whether it was a cheapie to the Med, Zoom, CanAffair or BA/AF/KLM.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to you all for the thoughts and opinions - much appreciated!

We will have another look and check with airlines direct as well.

Regards Sue
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

The Hampsons is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew with them from Manchester to Calgary in OCt 07 and were reasonably happy with the experience. Being around 6'1", I could have done with a bit more legroom, something we have remedied this time round, I've chopped my legs off. I believe they have also 'leather clad' all of their seats in economy, something we'll have to check out. We used Canadian Affair to book flights and car last time as it seemed sensible and simple to do. Costs were very comparative to others when we cecked individual purchases. Air crew were all very friendly and willing to help you, although as already mentioned you do pay for everything in the cheap seats.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanx for views. Height not an issue with economy - just the to small kids to consider!!

We all know kids can not keep still on a flight, especially if theres not much room!
Sue....
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx for views. Height not an issue with economy - just the to small kids to consider!!

We all know kids can not keep still on a flight, especially if theres not much room!
Sue....
Not sure how old the children are but if they're young make sure they have plenty to help keep them amused and you relatively sane If I'm teaching you to suck eggs I apologise but try buying small pressies for them to open during the journey. You can spend as much or as little as you want - pack of cards, magnetic board game, cars, dolls the list is endless and doesn't need to break the bank. Wrap pressies and put them in a designated rucksack and watch their faces light up as they have something new to "play with" each half hour/hour of the journey.

Lynne
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

I have used Air Transat and Thomas Cook several times. No major problems for me. Cheap and cheerful, get what you pay for etc etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.