Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Has anybody relocated to Reddeer?

Has anybody relocated to Reddeer?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

stuartmandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anybody relocated to Reddeer?

Hello,

My wife and I and our two kids (1yr old and a 2yr old) will hopefully be moving to Red Deer in the next few months - I have a job offer and have the LMO and are awaiting the work permit. We also have to wait on our house selling which might take longer than we think due to the 'credit crunch' over here.
We are wondering if anyone can give us any info on Red Deer - like the best parts of the city to live etc and to see if there are any other new arrivals in the area so that we could get in touch.
Hope somone can help

Stuart
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anybody relocated to Reddeer?

Hi someone will be along to help soon as I know definately of one person who lives in Red Deer.

Calling Piff Poff.................?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Stuart, and welcome to the BE forum.

In addition to Piff Poff, whom mandymoochops already has mentioned, I think Rhodeys lives in Red Deer and Ruby Murray lives just outside of it.

Here's a previous discussion thread called Moving to Red Deer. Oh yes, here's another one called Red Deer Housing.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:53 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello, Stuart, and welcome to the BE forum.

In addition to Piff Poff, whom mandymoochops already has mentioned, I think Rhodeys lives in Red Deer and Ruby Murray lives just outside of it.

Here's a previous discussion thread called Moving to Red Deer. Oh yes, here's another one called Red Deer Housing.

Hope that helps.
x
She's just so good this lady!!!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:56 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
She's just so good this lady!!!!!
Oh what I would give for a memory like Judy's
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

Hi Stuart

As Judy says, we live in Red Deer. We moved here in May this year if we can help in anyway please let us know. I am an RN at Red Deer Regional Hospital and Hubby works in Logistics and Production Management in Rural Lacombe. We have certainly learned a great deal in the last 4 months and are very willing to share info...we have made great contacts, have a great realtor and Mortgage Broker, fantastic car/house insurance contact all things that we have had to do lots of leg work to find and would happily share. Just ask away and if we know the answers we will happily share! Feel free to PM us.

Hi Judy, nice to 'see' you, things have been hectic here lately, house sales, house buying etc etc...so I don't get on here very often.

Kind Regards
Julie
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud ofRhodeys has much to be proud of

In terms of where to live I would definitely say SE of the city and I know Piff Poff will agree with that. The North has it`s problems and so is cheaper. We live in Anders now (very sort after area) but we are just renting it tends to be more expensive to buy in the Anders/Anders on the Lake area, we have just bought a house in Inglewood. Bowers , Anders, Inglewood, Varnier Woods, Deer Park, Rosedale, and Lancaster are the nicest areas in our opinion but you should take a look for yourselves. Where are you going to work as that might have influence on where you choose to live also check out which areas are more prone to flooding.

Red Deer is a great place we love it here, best decision we have made.

Julie
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

We nearly moved over to Red Deer this summer but OH's job fell through (no fault of his). I totally agree it looks a lovely place to live and has everything you need. We found property affordable and were seriously considering an acreage near Clive.

But we have bought an acreage here now (much to the relief of our friends)and are staying put for the moment, but have not given up on the idea. I will get to Alberta one day
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Where are you going to work as that might have influence on where you choose to live also check out which areas are more prone to flooding.

I am going to be working with Alberta Transportation and infrastructure in their Red Deer office but im not sure whereabouts it is located.
Is downtown quite easy and quick to access from the outer suburbs?
Is Red Deer quite prone to flooding??? I was hoping to leave the rain behind in Scotland!!!!
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

We have read some good things about Sylvan Lake. Is it a nice place to live or is it more of a tourist area?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Stuart

I don't think it's prone to flooding per se but when the snow melts or when we have bad storms (which trust me we do) some people do experience flooding. We had the wettest June on record this year it rained continuously for weeks. Just 2 weeks ago we had a really bad storm and several of my colleagues experienced problems with basement flooding, all the subdivisions have green areas which are made for drainage. When you buy a house make sure you have a house inspection (we can recommend one of those too ) they will pick up any risks. As for Sylvan Lake we looked there too as house prices are cheaper....it has it's problems, according to my co-workers some problems with groups of youths, and being a tourist place they have issues with drunken groups of younger people causing problems, they have traffic problems too. You need to take a look for yourself though in honesty.

We do know somebody who works for the Transport dept in Red Deer, but Piff Poff knows them much better than we do, she will see this thread soon and reply I am sure. She has had a busy time lately. I did PM you and give you my email address if you want to contact us that way, I don't come on here that often.

Regards

Julie