Hamilton

Old Dec 9th 2019, 9:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hamilton

Originally Posted by dbd33
I haven't said there is anything wrong with Hamilton except the look of it from the QEW. I expect it has most modern conveniences, the sort of thing one does not find in the country; snow clearance, mains water, stuff like that. Still, why would people who aren't in Toronto have heard of it?
Perhaps because we have more waterfalls than anywhere else in Canada
Old Dec 9th 2019, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps because we have more waterfalls than anywhere else in Canada
And I have frolicked in a fair few of them.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What’s wrong with Sheffield?
Oh where do I start The only reason people have heard of it is because of the Full Monty.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryola2014
Crime in my area at the moment is awful. Teens smashing bus stops & shop windows virtually every night. People are nowhere to be seen. It’s like a lawless society here and the thugs know it. Due to budget cuts. Equally my kids primary school is constantly begging parents for money or trying to raise money. Parents have to send in craft materials and books.. There is no money again due to cuts. I’m just unsatisfied with life here. I love my family although my parents are crap so there will be no loss there but just want better for my kids. Surely Hamilton is better than where I live with kids getting pissed up outside shops and houses been broke into virtually every night!
Most places in the UK would be better than that too. I live in the UK and rarely lock my doors. Our local primary school has class sizes of around 15 and never asked for money for materials that I recall. It doesn't sound as though you're terribly sold on the idea of moving to Canada, so before you commit to spending tens of thousands on an international move and going through all the hassle of getting your husband eligible to work there, is it not worth looking at moving to a nicer part of the UK?

And just checking, but again before you spend a few grand on a reccie trip, have you checked to make sure you or your husband is eligible for a visa?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

The issue with the UK is we cannot afford another house in a better area in the UK. I am sold on the idea of Canada it’s just that there is a lot of information to think about and take on board. I’m a cautious person so I just want to ensure everything is right. We have been contacted on a couple of occasions from immigration agents saying that as. Crane Driver we are eligible for PR status without needing employment first. We have done the assessments and have enough points.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with the UK is we cannot afford another house in a better area in the UK.
If you can afford to live near Toronto, and the £25-30k or so it'll cost you to move there, wouldn't that get you to a nicer area of the UK? It doesn't need to be somewhere like Surrey, but just a rural village rather than somewhere with the issues you've described? Just playing devil's advocate…….!

We have been contacted on a couple of occasions from immigration agents saying that as. Crane Driver we are eligible for PR status without needing employment first. We have done the assessments and have enough points.
Bit misleading, as the job isn't relevant, being eligible for PR status without needing employment first is purely based on points. But yes, if you've checked his CRS points then that's fab. Will he lose points due to getting older at any point? Bear in mind there were only two FST draws in 2019, so best to get his application in asap if he will lose points at any point in 2020. Ideally he wouldn't wait until your July trip to go and sit his exams to get his provincial certification, I'd suggest he sorts that asap if at all possible.

I'd also suggest you start a new thread asking about crane driving jobs in Canada, as Hamilton may not be your best choice. Just looking at the stats on Jobbank, there are only 3 jobs at the moment across all of Ontario, so it may be worth considering other provinces too where the chance of work is higher.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2019 at 11:41 am.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Maybe it’s just a feeling but when I’m in UK I feel trapped. Whenever I go away anywhere I feel free. And it’s not just holidays I mean. I worked full time in Oz, had a flat, car etc. I have a shitty family. My husband turned 36 on Friday.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 11:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks. Maybe it’s just a feeling but when I’m in UK I feel trapped. Whenever I go away anywhere I feel free. And it’s not just holidays I mean. I worked full time in Oz, had a flat, car etc. I have a shitty family. My husband turned 36 on Friday.
Sorry to hear about your family, that can't be easy, and I'm not surprised you feel trapped if you live somewhere as you've described, it sounds awful. You've got time before your husband loses points then, so plenty of time to research at least and find the right area for you. What is his CRS score now?
Old Dec 10th 2019, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

This is what we got back. I don’t totally understand it all to be honest? � ����
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

This is what we got back. I don’t totally understand it all to be honest? ������
I've removed it, as it's a full email from a third party so not really ideal to put on here without their permission. But it's vague (not even any mention of your score?) because it's not from an official source, just from an immi consultant that wants to keep things that way so that they can take your money! You need to check your CRS score yourself on the proper website - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

The last FST draw was at 357, so ideally your husband will be scoring that or higher. If there's anything else in that email that you don't understand, feel free to start a new thread in the immi section of the forum to ask about it, and somebody will try and help.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2019 at 1:24 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Oh thank you and sorry about that. Yes I’ll check that link.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh thank you and sorry about that. Yes I’ll check that link.
It's no problem at all. We can help you for free once you've checked and most questions can be answered on BE - just head to the immi section of the Canada forum for any visa related queries.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2019, 3:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hamilton here is my reasons. So firstly from my research it said Toronto has the most Brits so I thought well there must be a good reason for that. My husband is a Tower & crawler crane driver so figured there might be opportunities for work for him. I’ve been led to believe that crane drivers are wanted.. Then I started looking on house prices we could potentially afford. Bear in mind my mortgage here in Leeds West Yorkshire is £82,000 less than £400 a month. I lived in Western Australia for a year and loved the spacious surroundings, the cleaner more modern buildings. The friendly people. The outdoors, parks and feeling safer. Crime in my area at the moment is awful. Teens smashing bus stops & shop windows virtually every night. People are nowhere to be seen. It’s like a lawless society here and the thugs know it. Due to budget cuts. Equally my kids primary school is constantly begging parents for money or trying to raise money. Parents have to send in craft materials and books.. There is no money again due to cuts. I’m just unsatisfied with life here. I love my family although my parents are crap so there will be no loss there but just want better for my kids. Surely Hamilton is better than where I live with kids getting pissed up outside shops and houses been broke into virtually every night!

Hamilton is a City but we do have parks and outdoor areas Have a look at the link I gave in another post - things to do in the area and lots of links to parks and trails for walking. There is crime, as there is everywhere - but it's not 'in your face' - you don't see gangs of kids hanging around.. and I feel perfectly safe coming home from downtown on the bus at night. You are not going to find spacious properties unless you have a lot of money, prices have gone through the roof as more Torontonians move to Hamilton to escape the high prices there. 8 years ago you could buy a nice smallish 3 bed house for under $200,000 - now you would be lucky to find one under $400,000. There are cheaper 'pockets' but probably in areas you would prefer not to live. I like living in Hamilton, there's a good vibe and lots to do.. a good transit system and great restaurants, bars and music venues - plus all the usual facilities you get in Cities It doesn't feel like a city - it feels like a sprawling town. If you really want to be in an area where there is lots of space, perhaps look further north.

I know a crane operator and he regularly travels to Sarnia (Ontario) and Alberta to work as there isn't that much work in this area. That kind of work is often seasonal - so there may be little income in the winter months. Your husband may also need his Certificate of Qualification for Ontario (or any other Province you consider) as it may be a compulsary trade (meaning it's regulated) depending on the type of crane work he does. https://www.careersinconstruction.ca/en/career/crane-operator
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/7891/ON
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/...fn=7371&sort=M

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 10th 2019 at 3:47 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm honestly really not understanding all this "driving in the GTHA is stressful" vibe. IMHO, driving anywhere in Canada is much easier than driving in the UK. Most cars in Canada are automatic transmission and the roads are wider than those in the UK. I recently came back from a trip to the UK which had me driving in Edinburgh and various parts of Greater Manchester. I was driving a car with manual transmission on narrow roads with double-parked vehicles, double-decker buses, big lorries, confusing roundabouts, etc. I think that driving in and around Toronto is a piece of cake in comparison - unless you're trying to drive in really bad winter conditions.
The thing with all that is that you have to be aware and alert. The main problem in Canada, or certainly what I have seen of the majority of drivers from NS, PEI, NB or NF, is the utter lack of awareness and care. I genuinely felt safer driving in Sicily than driving here.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
The main problem in Canada, or certainly what I have seen of the majority of drivers from NS, PEI, NB or NF, is the utter lack of awareness and care.
This made me laugh as this morning, our taxi driver to the grocery store (it was too cold & icy for a bus, only $5 more and door to door) was in the lane for the wrong strip mall and had to back up to get in the right one when I pointed it out. Less than 100 yards later, at the very next left turn he should have been taking, he was in the lane to go straight on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.