Hamilton

Old Dec 13th 2019, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Ryola2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hamilton

Lots of to think about. Thank you for all your help and advice ļæ½ ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½
Old Dec 14th 2019, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryola2014
Jeeeesus you guys are totally putting me off driving in Canada full stop! Iā€™ve had my driving licence since 2006 but if I donā€™t know the roads, which lane to be in etc I freak out. This is honestly my main concern about moving to Canada. I donā€™t know what to do ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½
Hi from a fellow expat who was dreading driving over here I would take the long route in the UK to avoid the Motorway and hated long journeys with a passion. But over here the roads are bigger and on the Highway you get plenty of notice of what lane you need to be in, and even if you take the wrong turn itā€™s far easier to correct it than in the UK. Iā€™m not saying it isnā€™t daunting at first but once you get your head around it it is pretty simple. Iā€™m now dreading driving in the UK when we go back next year and getting used to driving a ā€œstickā€ again.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Iā€™m now dreading driving in the UK when we go back next year and getting used to driving a ā€œstickā€ again.
If you're hiring a car just specify automatic. Lots of them here (both our cars are automatic), won't be a problem at all.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryola2014
Hamilton here is my reasons. So firstly from my research it said Toronto has the most Brits so I thought well there must be a good reason for that. My husband is a Tower & crawler crane driver so figured there might be opportunities for work for him. Iā€™ve been led to believe that crane drivers are wanted.. Then I started looking on house prices we could potentially afford. Bear in mind my mortgage here in Leeds West Yorkshire is Ā£82,000 less than Ā£400 a month. I lived in Western Australia for a year and loved the spacious surroundings, the cleaner more modern buildings. The friendly people. The outdoors, parks and feeling safer. Crime in my area at the moment is awful. Teens smashing bus stops & shop windows virtually every night. People are nowhere to be seen. Itā€™s like a lawless society here and the thugs know it. Due to budget cuts. Equally my kids primary school is constantly begging parents for money or trying to raise money. Parents have to send in craft materials and books.. There is no money again due to cuts. Iā€™m just unsatisfied with life here. I love my family although my parents are crap so there will be no loss there but just want better for my kids. Surely Hamilton is better than where I live with kids getting pissed up outside shops and houses been broke into virtually every night!
Hi welcome from a fellow Yorkshire girl originally from Hull I can totally understand where you are coming from in terms of wanting better for your kids. I donā€™t know much about Hamilton apart from it seems to be getting more popular because house prices are cheaper than Toronto or Oakville/Burlington, Iā€™ve heard good things about Stoney Creek. All I can say is we have been here 18 months and love it there are lots for the kids to do especially in the summer you donā€™t particularly need to spend a fortune on days out like in the UK there are beaches that are accessible and you donā€™t need to worry about sitting in traffic for hours to get there, and trails and parks. In the summer most childrens play areas have splash pads which is great for the younger ones. As for teenagers hanging around I havenā€™t seen any where we live but Iā€™m sure there are some areas that have it. What I and expat friends have said is that children are more respectful of their siblings and others here itā€™s taught in Kindergarten upwards.

Old Dec 15th 2019, 12:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave

Hi welcome from a fellow Yorkshire girl originally from Hull I can totally understand where you are coming from in terms of wanting better for your kids. I donā€™t know much about Hamilton apart from it seems to be getting more popular because house prices are cheaper than Toronto or Oakville/Burlington, Iā€™ve heard good things about Stoney Creek. All I can say is we have been here 18 months and love it there are lots for the kids to do especially in the summer you donā€™t particularly need to spend a fortune on days out like in the UK there are beaches that are accessible and you donā€™t need to worry about sitting in traffic for hours to get there, and trails and parks. In the summer most childrens play areas have splash pads which is great for the younger ones. As for teenagers hanging around I havenā€™t seen any where we live but Iā€™m sure there are some areas that have it. What I and expat friends have said is that children are more respectful of their siblings and others here itā€™s taught in Kindergarten upwards.

Re Stoney Creek - be aware there is very little public transit there... I would choose Hamilton over Stoney Creek unless they are going to have 2 vehicles.