Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Originally Posted by alexisatk
Oh, another thing. Companies that usually get back to you ASAP are not the ones you want to be working for. There is a reason why they get back to you so quickly, they are desperate.
So which is it? Some say if employers that drag their heels they have an attitude, or are the ones that respond quickly desperate. On the other hand it could be just good timing when you send your resume in, or it could be they are efficient. No one actually has any idea, merely speculation founded on nothing.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:49 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
So which is it? Some say if employers that drag their heels they have an attitude, or are the ones that respond quickly desperate. On the other hand it could be just good timing when you send your resume in, or it could be they are efficient. No one actually has any idea, merely speculation founded on nothing.
It's true, it can be speculation, but I have had two employers get back to me the day I sent them their resumes. And in both cases they were desperate, and the job description was hugely misleading. They advertised for a full-time position and it turned out to be full time, but on a 6-month contract. Companies that aren't trying to pull one over will advertise that it is a 6-month contract position.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:51 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry iank, i must have started skimming the posts at one point.
LOL, but that was the very first reply!!!

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2010 at 7:53 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by kevinand john
moved here july 1st with so much confidence and hope for the future.gave up good jobs and a nice house in the uk too.moved here with job agencies and people saying you can easily get a job with your experience.partner has applied for job after job and if they do ring you back and give you an interview you never here back from them again ,always having to chase them.ive even applied for a job shelf stacking that i can walk into in the uk ,got an interview and then nothing.what do you have to do to get a job.we cant carry on like this for much longer as we can only afford to use so much money trying before we have to decide whats next.do we call it quits say we tried and go back to the uk? at least we would get dole and help with rent there.did anybody else find it difficult to get employment here? we even did a test visit in june trying job agenices etc all said you will have no problem with work just come in when you arrive.now we are here its a different story-they dont bother to answerthe phone or get back to you
its so frustrating all we want to do is get jobs and settle down here.never knew it would be this hard though.we are seriously thinking of going back tothe uk now!
If this had capitals it would be readable!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

It's true, it can be speculation, but I have had two employers get back to me the day I sent them their resumes. And in both cases they were desperate, and the job description was hugely misleading. They advertised for a full-time position and it turned out to be full time, but on a 6-month contract. Companies that aren't trying to pull one over will advertise that it is a 6-month contract position.
Except how often does a 6 month contract really mean "Its full time, but Im covering my arse in case its a bad fit and I want to boot you out after 6 months with no comebacks"

I dont see that as misleading particularly. Im not sure I would up sticks and move across the country for it either mind you...
Forum Regular

Ninkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really nice

Just wanted to say that this thread has been most useful.

My husband last week approached an organisation's HR department regarding a possible meeting during our recce to discuss potential future opportunities. He previously emailed them his resume. They were really positive and extremelly polite and helpful.... but were supposed to have come back by the end of the week with the availability to arrange the meeting and have not.

We were a bit gutted as we are waiting on the date to book the recce. He called them today but didn't have any luck getting hold of the right person (but again the receptionist was apparently lovely/helpful etc)

Reading this has reminded me that we are dealing with a different culture where things are well, different.

We will have to learn a bit of patience
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
You've only been there 6 weeks. The employment process if retarded in Canada so if i were you i'd hang on for a while longer to see what happens.

If you can't afford to do that, i'd have to question your sanity in your decision to emigrate

In fact, as a sanity check, other than the dole, do you think you could return to the UK and be in a job within 6 weeks? By that i mean begin the search, apply, interview, receive confirmation, and start work, in those 6 weeks? I would doubt many occupations would be.

Also, triple check your CV format, Cover Letter wording and content, follow-up technique, etc etc.
There are a lot of dud agencies who have been drawing folk out to Canada and then ditching them. Halifax is not the first place I'd be thinking of if I were looking for a job!
This may be another pig in a poke.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ninkynoodle
Just wanted to say that this thread has been most useful.

My husband last week approached an organisation's HR department regarding a possible meeting during our recce to discuss potential future opportunities. He previously emailed them his resume. They were really positive and extremelly polite and helpful.... but were supposed to have come back by the end of the week with the availability to arrange the meeting and have not.

We were a bit gutted as we are waiting on the date to book the recce. He called them today but didn't have any luck getting hold of the right person (but again the receptionist was apparently lovely/helpful etc)

Reading this has reminded me that we are dealing with a different culture where things are well, different.

We will have to learn a bit of patience
You will also have to learn that when a Canadian says "I'll get back to you" you will never hear from them again.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:54 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Contrary to that I got back to someone in 30 minutes of getting their resume. They were what we were looking for so we hired them. If they were not suitable we would not have hired them.

How did your find out it was a six month position, if they told you, how is that misleading? If the ad did not say full time permanent, it could have been anything, you interpreted it one way, maybe they meant it another. What were they trying to pull over? No employer wants to hire someone on misinformation only to have them leave, it is a waste of time and money.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Except how often does a 6 month contract really mean "Its full time, but Im covering my arse in case its a bad fit and I want to boot you out after 6 months with no comebacks"
Very regularly. It makes total sense.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Exilelass
You will also have to learn that when a Canadian says "I'll get back to you" you will never hear from them again.
...or many nationalities for that matter.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ninkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really niceNinkynoodle is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Aviator
...or many nationalities for that matter.
I was going to say that is hardly specific to Canadians! I would hope that we are now experienced enough to know when an employer is not interested but time will tell - if we have not made any progress by the end of the week that may well be the case - I hope not
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:20 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

how about in the meantime while your applying for jobs why not do some voluntary work ... that is a good way to network yourself when it comes to finding work one of the best ways so i've been advised, i wont be able to work for at least 6 months when we get to nb so thats what i'm gonna do, plus it'd stop you going stir crazy! you're there so you've got to stick it out now .... good luck
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ninkynoodle
I was going to say that is hardly specific to Canadians! I would hope that we are now experienced enough to know when an employer is not interested but time will tell - if we have not made any progress by the end of the week that may well be the case - I hope not
So difficult to judge. I had a job offer years ago, heard nothing for weeks, turned into a fun job.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Kevin & John. (Long post sorry!).

Just thought i'd send a post to you to help keep your chin up. (I don't want to preach)

I had the same feelings as you when I first arrived here. There were jobs to be had and I thought i'd breeze them. I even thought that if I didn't get the jobs I wanted, I would get one that I didn't - no problemo!

I have to say, I had to change my thinking. I have realised that where I am (Vancouver Island, rural) it is jobs for those you know first. I got so disheartened after 3 months of applying for everything (and I mean everything) and not hearing back, or hearing that I was over qualified (what? surely its value for money then?), you get my drift. There were on average 150 people applying for posts that I was applying for.

In the end I had to take my resume into the office locations and force myself to speak face to face to people. Totally out of my comfort zone. (I'd just spent the last 4 years working from home via email/phone with no human interaction whatsoever). This particular job wasn't what I had hoped i'd be applying for when back in the UK but a jobs a job and Timmies wouldn't even sniff at my resume.

I got the job by being persistent - whilst I was at the office dropping of my Resume (which I'd put in the Canadian format) another lady turned up to do the same thing. This p'd me off because I didn't get chance to complete my chat and left. So when I got home I followed it with an email and another copy of my Resume, thanking him for his time and how I could see myself being of help to him. He rang me straight back and asked me to do a shift "to see how it goes" the next morning.

I was there 11 months and was running the business in the end (all of it!). The income to start with was minimum wage which had doubled by the time I left. I only left because the equivalent of my UK employer here in Canada contacted me to say there was a spot (i'd kept in contact with her all year!) and I jumped. I am very lucky but often think of those times when I was desperately unhappy being knocked back!

Some people will see this as waffle and this here >> V << is my two fingers if they don't like my spelling, grammar or paragraphs - I just wanted to let you know the change in thought process I went through - because reading your post reminds me of the dispair I felt when being turned down all the time!

Chin up! Go into the offices, be remembered, follow things up with a thank you note. Ask WHY you didn't get short listed. I did this and got some excellent feedback (from some!).

There is work, you just have to work so hard to get in. I also want to mention that having a social circle will help you immensely. After the first 10 months I had 3 offers of work coming my way. Believe it or not my mortgage broker rang me and said "I remember you saying you didn't like your job - well we have one going are you interested" - wow...didn't expect that. Another was through a friend who's friend was hiring.

So whilst you are trying to find work, get yourself out there making new friends in sports clubs or teams or whatever you like to do - it will all help!

Well enough of my piffle - GO GET 'EM AND GOOD LUCK

Natalie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.