Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Wikiposts

halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: halifax unsure wether to stay or go back to uk

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I'll third this. I've noticed that Canadians tend to use favourable, positive language. You can be discussing a job and they are all "awesome" "perfect" "sounds good". Practically gushing by UK standards, when in fact they wouldn't hire you if you were the last person on earth.

I would recommend taking this positivity with a pinch of salt. It may be pleasant to your ears, but it all means nothing until you are sitting in their workplace with their pay cheque hitting your account.

And one last thing, all this positivity is contagious. Only this morning I responded to some mundane news with "That's brilliant!". It's not brilliant, it's so unimportant I have barely enough emotion to recall what it is. I feel dirty.
I like to think I've had an impact in the organisation I've worked for these past 5 years. My weary cynicsm is rubbing off. Apparently not everything is 'awesome' now, some things are shit, there is a blame culture and it is your fault. My work here is done......
Old Aug 19th 2010, 2:32 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I like to think I've had an impact in the organisation I've worked for these past 5 years. My weary cynicsm is rubbing off. Apparently not everything is 'awesome' now, some things are shit, there is a blame culture and it is your fault. My work here is done......
You had better be careful or that might turn out to be prophetic!
Old Aug 19th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Onefut will become famous soon enoughOnefut will become famous soon enough

I'll third this. I've noticed that Canadians tend to use favourable, positive language. You can be discussing a job and they are all "awesome" "perfect" "sounds good". Practically gushing by UK standards, when in fact they wouldn't hire you if you were the last person on earth.

I would recommend taking this positivity with a pinch of salt. It may be pleasant to your ears, but it all means nothing until you are sitting in their workplace with their pay cheque hitting your account.

And one last thing, all this positivity is contagious. Only this morning I responded to some mundane news with "That's brilliant!". It's not brilliant, it's so unimportant I have barely enough emotion to recall what it is. I feel dirty.
that made me chuckle
I have to say that this is the one part of Canadian culture i will find hard to deal with as Im the type of person that calls a spade a spade and dont see the point in being nice an shiney about something thats dreary and dull, i'd rather say nothin

lots of usefull info in this thread tho
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend taking this positivity with a pinch of salt . It may be pleasant to your ears, but it all means nothing until you are sitting in their workplace with their pay cheque hitting your account.

a few weeks ago some salesman came to the door and I think in 15 mins he mentioned 20 times how "awesome" it is that we moved from the Uk, how great the kids are (although both just screaming for food ha ha ) etc. and what did I do ?
I said "brilliant, nice to meet you, sounds good...... no thanks " lol
it is contagious but I see it as the "Canadian way" to communicate and being friendly.
No need to be rude to them just know it is not all "real".
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Today I caught myself using "perfect" when I meant "that'll work, yeah, alright".
Old Aug 20th 2010, 4:28 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
it is contagious but I see it as the "Canadian way" to communicate and being friendly.
No need to be rude to them just know it is not all "real".
In Canada you get told you are awesome by someone who doesn't mean it. In the UK you get told to **** off by someone that does.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 6:06 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In Canada you get told you are awesome by someone who doesn't mean it. In the UK you get told to **** off by someone that does.
Yep and i'd rather be told to f*** off by someone who means it!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like the niceness, however false. I find it passes around through people and I myself actually turn into a nice, more tolerant person.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I actually like the niceness, however false. I find it passes around through people and I myself actually turn into a nice, more tolerant person.
I thought that, until I began working here. When employed I never knew how my employers and colleagues really thought of me. I saw them praise others to the point of death, right up until they were fired

I prefer the honesty of not liking all things people say to you, but knowing that they mean it. It is one of the few reasons I post on here. I need the reassurance that I am the asshole most think I am.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I need the reassurance that I am the asshole most think I am.
<Man hugs AC>

To elaborate, i enjoy the niceties when context or situation allows (they enjoy my shit cooking). For more serious and important aspects, i'm more than happy to, and very much prefer to, say exactly what i mean.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 7:43 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Ha ha I nearly spat my water all over the computer
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Don't mind the nice way of communication whether false or real in daily live but prefer the honesty among friends.
Find it more cheerful when the shop assistant askes me "how I am, that the dress is perfect for me and wishes me an awesome day" rather than to f*** off, but I am lucky to have friends that tell me the truth whether I'd make a fool of myself actually buying that dress. Cheers for that lol
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

mrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nicemrvp is just really nice

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Don't mind the nice way of communication whether false or real in daily live but prefer the honesty among friends.
Find it more cheerful when the shop assistant askes me "how I am, that the dress is perfect for me and wishes me an awesome day" rather than to f*** off, but I am lucky to have friends that tell me the truth whether I'd make a fool of myself actually buying that dress. Cheers for that lol
This totally - it makes me feel a little bit more comfortable that I could work in Canada as I had been told by a lot of other people that it is a common thing. I do it in my current line of work in the UK as a default setting almost and most people think that I am quite genuine about it (I just take the view that a little bit of niceness can often go a long way and what comes around goes around if you need favours at some point in the future). It's only where things have become so depressing lately that I think people are starting to realise that I'm maybe not as genuine as they thought I was (and I'm starting to notice it in other people that have a similar way of doing business - it's almost like going through the motions).

I know that this can be a big thing to a lot of people though so I try to make an effort. It's important to have genuine friends and colleagues - the kind of people who you'd drop anything for - that will remind you of who you are sometimes in the current climate.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest that you and anyone coming to Canada reviews the wiki entries on Job Hunting

There are a couple of success stories about how to improve your chances of success. (I don't get any commission for pushing this)
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:39 pm
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the reluctance to hire newly arrived foreigners is due to a more general under-confidence among some Canadians.

For some, newcomers are a risk in a range of respects:

- they might out-shine others in the workplace
- they might bring in new ideas that feel threatening
- they might be direct in their style rather than passive-agressive
- you may not be able to understand what they say, which is embarrasing for everyone
- they may not be able to talk easily about the same subjects that everyone else does: cottage, hockey, golf, good deals at stores, barbeques past and planned etc

This is a huge generalization, but I honestly feel that some of these are deep-seated concerns among a minority of Canadians.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.