Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grocery shopping

Grocery shopping

Old Mar 18th 2005, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future
Default Grocery shopping

Now I know this is going to sound very very strange...but I absolutely hate grocery shopping like most people do...but I thought I'd ask...

Anyone that has now moved to Canada from the UK...are you as sad as I was when I moved to the UK from Canada...I absolutely adored going to the grocery store when I first arrived. It was like I was a kid in a candy shop. Loved looking at all the different foods...labels...stuff like that. Guessing if things were something I knew but by a different name!! Took me ages to realise treacle was molasses!

It took me months to get bored with shopping...now I'm bored again and can't wait to get back to Canada to do the same thing all over again!

Am I the only sicko here??

Last edited by dawnwynne; Mar 18th 2005 at 6:00 am.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:48 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grocery shopping

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Now I know this is going to sound very very strange...but I absolutely hate grocery shopping like most people do...but I thought I'd ask...

Anyone that has now moved to Canada from the UK...are you as sad as I was when I moved to the UK from Canada...I absolutely adored going to the grocery store when I first arrived. It was like I was a kid in a candy shop. Loved looking at all the different foods...labels...stuff like that. Guessing if things were something I knew but by a different name!! Took me ages to realise treacle was molasses!

It took me months to get bored with shopping...now I'm bored again and can't wait to get back to Canada to do the same thing all over again!

Funny.... took me ages to realize thar treacle was molasses too! Only the other way around! Spent ages looking for molasses here in Oz only to find out it's called treacle. (If you do a search on this forum you'll find the great "Golden Syrup vs Maple Syrup" debate with a few "treacle vs molasses" bits thrown in.)

I hated food shopping in Canada and I still hate it..LOL

Siren
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

No! I'll admit to that too. Do it everywhere we go.

Last month in Canada I even picked up the offer flyers at thet door to *take them home and read them in detail* - how sad is that?!

Lol at your treacle I had a friend go to Canada and marvel at the "raisin jelly" on the shelves...until he figured out it was just french for grape...hehe

Biiiiink
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:23 am
Just Joined

jake is an unknown quantity at this point

When I moved to Canada, a friend of mine introduced me to the concept of Canadian Super Store. I spent a whole Saturday there once and that was spent just trying to find the exit. I never went back!

And then there was Loblaws and Overwaitea (full of over-sized people??) - I just love those names.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:32 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

No... .

But this is actually one area in life that makes me homesick. I think lack of familiar foods makes a lot of expats homesick, or maybe just exaggerates their homesickness -- well it does for me.

I like to eat and cook a variety of ethnic foods and I was totally spoiled for choice in Victoria - Thrifty Foods, Chinatown, Moss Street Market, the Italian Deli on Blanchard, the Market on Yates, Sakura... I could get anything I every needed or wanted (and I mean quality, authentic ingredients, not 'Old El Paso Burrito Cook-In Sauce' type crap) all within a short walk from my front door. I definitely took it for granted as it was a real culture shock for me when I first moved here (to the UK) when I could not find a lot of stuff that, to me, was just basic food but I suspect I would have experienced the same shock had I moved to a lot of other places in Canada.

I have definitely enjoyed learning more about British food and like you I loved exploring the shops - finding all the new foods like 'spotted dick' and 'faggots' was fun :scared: , but I still heavily rely on 'care packages' sent by friends back in Victoria.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Siren

I hated food shopping in Canada and I still hate it..LOL

Siren

So I am unique and perhaps a bit odd!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:21 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

We were more captivated by the price difference during our visit to a Canadian Safeway- Then our Canadian friends told us that they're quite pricy- wow!

Darren

So I am unique and perhaps a bit odd!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:44 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scimdarren
We were more captivated by the price difference during our visit to a Canadian Safeway- Then our Canadian friends told us that they're quite pricy- wow!

Darren
Yeah, we were impressed by the lower prices when we were over last year and it's sad that we're used to getting ripped off in this Country. Mind you, the 200 different varieties of breakfast cereal was a bit intimidating :scared: Some of which just appeared to be sweets floating in a bowl of milk - Gag!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

I do really miss Sainsburys though, I would rather have that anyday!!!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scimdarren

Darren
Yes Safeway is a bit pricier...but the service there is generally great. I just got back from Tescos...and boy my grocery bill has certainly increased in the last few years. Hadn't really thought about it too much till lately...it was such a gradual increase.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:02 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Madmac
Yeah, we were impressed by the lower prices when we were over last year and it's sad that we're used to getting ripped off in this Country. Mind you, the 200 different varieties of breakfast cereal was a bit intimidating :scared: Some of which just appeared to be sweets floating in a bowl of milk - Gag!
Its one of the Canadian food groups - Candy.

After all its important to start the day with a proper healthy breakfast.

Joking aside for a moment - we no longer buy boxed breakfast cereals now we have moved to Canada.

Mrs G

Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:08 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Do supermarket have self scanning facilities in Canada? Sainsbury's do it here. You scan and pack your bags as you go and then you go to the till, give your scanner and pay. I will really miss that!!!
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:21 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MCC
Do supermarket have self scanning facilities in Canada? Sainsbury's do it here. You scan and pack your bags as you go and then you go to the till, give your scanner and pay. I will really miss that!!!
most of the better ones have self scanning....

But its self scan at the till... nothing as fancy as the scan as you go stuff
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:50 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Its one of the Canadian food groups - Candy.

After all its important to start the day with a proper healthy breakfast.

Joking aside for a moment - we no longer buy boxed breakfast cereals now we have moved to Canada.

Mrs G
I don't blame you. It's really disgusting, those breakfast "cereals." Many of them existed when I was a kid (ie about 25-30 years ago) so that garbage is not a new phenomena in Canada, unfortunately. Thankfully (looking back) my parents only allowed me and my siblings access to that stuff once in a while - regular breakfasts were something like whole wheat toast with peanut butter and mushed up banana. I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of this crap there is though... it means somebody's - a lot of bodies are - buying this crap. Scarey thought .
Old Mar 18th 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

ross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant futureross&carolyn has a brilliant future

there may be hundreds of boxes of cereal but what happened to all the different washing powders??? now you will think i am mad but i like to try out all the different kinds of washing power/tablets/pod things with liquid in etc etc in all the different scents - lavender,riceflower,etc etc (well having a big family i spend a lot of time doing laundry!!) when we visited a canadian co-op it seemed to be tide. tide or tide??? and not any sight of fabric conditioner/softener in a multitude of different other nice scents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.