Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Grocery shopping

Grocery shopping

Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:22 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice
Default Re: Grocery shopping

Yes, that's where we are, Brampton, a great variety of Indian restaurants and grocery stores but sometimes (naughtily) referred to as "Singhdale", ahem, she says not approving. I'm waiting for Rhodes to arrive so we can have a nice supper out!

Originally Posted by MikeUK
get over to Brampton... It's not nicknamed bramladesh for nothing... or try milton again a good area to get real curry...
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Grocery shopping

Hi all, we're in the prosses of emigrating to sk. was wondering if anyone can help with little question or 2. i heard they dont do mushy peas, is that for real or can you get the dried ones so that i can make my own?
also i have a large selection of videos, ( uk pal ) someone said that the canadian video recorders have a switch on them so that they play uk pal version is this true?.
Tobyjug
Old Mar 20th 2005, 8:31 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
What I was surprised by was the fact that certain additives in Canada are banned in the UK. I guess we expected Canada to be more advanced than the UK when it comes to food safety.
Like what? I'm not being argumentative, I really do want to know.

IMO, I think it's difficult to make judgements about which country is 'more advanced' because it implies an objective standard that everyone agrees on, when really the concept of 'advanced' is culturally defined.

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Then think of Sainsbury's kids healthy options menus - certainly not an option here yet. The local supermarket here has only just started a healthy options menu - might be a while before it is extended to the kids ranges.
I don't have children, so I'm not aware of "Sainsbury's kids healthy options menus" but I grew up in Canada and ate healthy food my whole life.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:11 am
Just Joined

Jagrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Grocery shopping

Originally Posted by MikeUK
get over to Brampton... It's not nicknamed bramladesh for nothing... or try milton again a good area to get real curry...
Yes I agree Mike- Brampton now as a lotta of ethnic food stores. Try "Food Basics or "No Frills" and for English food try the bakery at"Gate of the glen" ( they sell lots of English food - but expensive).
We are able to buy a large varity of goods here.
But I "Hate shopping " to - I sent the partner out most times.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by tobyjug
Hi all, we're in the prosses of emigrating to sk. was wondering if anyone can help with little question or 2. i heard they dont do mushy peas, is that for real or can you get the dried ones so that i can make my own?
also i have a large selection of videos, ( uk pal ) someone said that the canadian video recorders have a switch on them so that they play uk pal version is this true?.
Tobyjug
Don't worry you can still get the dried mushy peas to soak. Just don't ask for them from a fish and chip shop.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SimonG
Don't worry you can still get the dried mushy peas to soak. Just don't ask for them from a fish and chip shop.
You can get mushy pea's at the fish and chip shops here in Brampton. At least three places I know. Dried Peas at any grocery store.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jagrow
You can get mushy pea's at the fish and chip shops here in Brampton. At least three places I know. Dried Peas at any grocery store.
It was more quality than availability. Are they any good? The ones I've tried have definitely put me off trying again.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Grocery shopping

Originally Posted by SimonG
It was more quality than availability. Are they any good? The ones I've tried have definitely put me off trying again.
I agree they are not as good as English - sloppy and tastless.
What I would like is the Steak and Kidney pudding. That is the first thing I request when in England( and Bacon)