Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

good to follow list quicky

good to follow list quicky

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of
Default Re: good to follow list quicky

They didn't even look at our GTF or GA forms when we landed, weren't in the slightest bit interested and didn't stamp them either. Hopefully this won't cause any problems when it comes to getting our stuff through customs but I wish I'd smuggled a ton of extra stuff now
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

so would it be a good idea to fill out a b4 form too ???????????

its so confusing :curse:
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Canada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud ofCanada Dreams has much to be proud of

sorry

if i fill this b4 form out do i sign the bit down the bottom right saying SETTLER
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:40 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
sorry

if i fill this b4 form out do i sign the bit down the bottom right saying SETTLER
Since you will be entering Canada on a temporary work permit, you are not a settler (permanent resident). Don't sign anything ahead of time. Follow the customs officer's directions when you land at your Canadian port of entry.

Technically, if one believes Canada Border Services Agency's website, Form B4 Personal Effects Accounting Document, is for new settlers (permanent residents) only. Feedback in this thread tells us that the reality on the ground may be different. Some customs officers at Canadian ports of entry are insisting that people entering on TWPs also complete form B4.

But the point is that Form B4, in and of itself, is easy to complete. It acts only as a cover sheet for the list of goods that is being imported into Canada. Even new settlers (permanent residents), to whom it is applicable, do not have to complete Form B4 in advance.

The Wiki article called Goods To Follow states in three different font colours (blue, green and red) that B4 does not have to be completed in advance. If need be, it can be completed at the port of entry. If worst comes to worst, the customs officer will complete it on the basis of information you provide to him/her.

The important thing, if the customs officer insists you provide it, is that you have a list of goods that you are importing to Canada as well as the values of those goods (grouped into rough categories). That fairly detailed list will form an attachment to Form B4. The function of Form B4 is to act as a cover sheet for the list.

I am at a loss to explain this information any more clearly than it already has been explained in the Wiki about Goods To Follow. As I said, it is typed there in three font colours. I am thinking of repeating it in a fourth font colour, but that seems a bit over the top.
x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you judy, its just a mine field and like you say some people say they require it some dont, i guess B4E is the top sheet and B4A is the additional one, and that you need two of them for good to follow etc

i know you understand more than us, and i guess that it gets frustrating you keep going over it all again and again

thanks anyway

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:10 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams
i guess B4E is the top sheet and B4A is the additional one, and that you need two of them for good to follow etc
It's true that Form B4E is the top sheet. As I mentioned, you have the option of completing it in advance or completing it at your port of entry.

If the immigrtion / customs officer is going to make you submit Form B4E, you'll actually need two versions of it. One version will form the cover sheet of your list of goods to follow (the stuff that the moving company will deliver to Canada after you yourselves have arrived). The other version will form the cover sheet of your list of goods accompanying (the stuff that you'll bring on the plane with you ....... your suitcases and hand luggage).

Form B4E is a dual-purpose form. In the section entitled Which Forms To Use, the Wiki called Goods To Follow states:

• About half way down Form B4 E, there are boxes that you check to indicate whether or not the goods will follow later.

• For the form that will act as the cover sheet for your Goods To Follow list, you should tick the Yes box next to Goods To Follow.

• For the form that will act as the cover sheet for your goods accompanying list (that is, for the goods that accompany you at your Canadian port of entry), you should tick the No box next to Goods To Follow.

In the article it's all bunched together, but I've added empty lines here to help the information stand out.

Form B4A is an optional continuation sheet on which you can list your goods. There would be very few people who were moving to Canada who could fit their list of Goods To Follow in the few lines that are provided on the B4E cover sheet. Therefore Canada Border Services Agency has provided Form B4A to act as a follow on sheet. If you choose to use Form B4A for the writing up of you list, you can use as many B4A sheets as you need to complete your list.

However, you do not need Form B4A. You can just write or type your list on regular paper. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever whether your list is typed / written on your own paper or on Form B4A.

Hope that helps. Take a deep breath. You'll get yourselves over to Canada yet.
x
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You applied via PNP, didn't you? I'm not clairvoyant. I just looked up some of your previous posts to get some background information. If you are going to be landing as permanent residents, you do not, not, not, not, repeat not need to get your mattresses fumigated.
x
Could you clarify that please? What about pillows?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you again judy for you effort

oh and time
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
You applied via PNP, didn't you? I'm not clairvoyant. I just looked up some of your previous posts to get some background information. If you are going to be landing as permanent residents, you do not, not, not, not, repeat not need to get your mattresses fumigated.
x
Thanks for the karma, but I still need clarification on the clairvoyancy issue.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Sep 23rd 2008 at 7:33 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 7:39 pm
Born again atheist

Oh. And since your PMs are turned off, how's life in the Far West?