Going Home

Old May 30th 2016, 10:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Home

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My husband doesn't actually fly business class when he goes away for work, not sure why you assume *everybody* does?!?
I'm not sure why you think I did assume that. The OP complained about the lack of vacation time from employers and someone - Haggis - commented "It appears on here that a lot of people are in industries that give a lot of time off..." and I responded with my impression that many on here (BE), being sought after employees (something that got them through immigration hoops) had employee benefits superior to your average employee.

That's not in doubt is it?

I referred to some of these benefits having cropped up quite a bit in the posts of many over the years (as illustrated nicely by the new thread I then referred to where people are talking precisely that level of benefits commensurate with higher salaries) and they included the business class flight.

A couple of posters said it wasn't all sweetness and light and made the not unreasonable point about being in a good condition to carry out their work. I then asked "Are any of you lucky enough to gain by being able to use airmiles (or something similar, like discounts) accrued on work travel for personal travel/hotels?"

The question didn't even mention business class, just work travel.

A number of people answered in the affirmative showing that there was indeed an advantage.

There's nothing about assuming everybody does. That's why I posed the question, to find out.
Old May 31st 2016, 12:22 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
You can now use points to cover the whole thing, including taxes!
You can but its pretty poor value IMO. As an example St John's to London is 60k points and $620 cash or 133k points - more than double.

Best value for the average redeemer is domestic travel (for around 50k points and $100 or so I could get to Vancouver from St John's). For the particularly savvy and flexible traveller its business class round the world travel on star alliance airlines that don't charge the huge taxes and surcharges that AC do.
Old May 31st 2016, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily. In the past 2 years I've been running my own business on my own, and I've had plenty of holidays in that time, including 2.5 weeks in California over the Easter break, just got back last month. Depends on the business.
You're right, it depends on the business... But for me, the business I would start up requires me to be present (computer service/repair) at least until the business is doing well enough that I can afford to pay someone else to work alongside me and be there when I jaunt off - its also not very lucrative funds-wise, i'm better off climbing the career ladder then when I have enough experience going into IT Consulting...
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weewifey
Hello! I am quite new to the site and have never posted before but thought our recent experience may help shed some light on a few things if you are thinking about moving to the Calgary area. We visited this area on holiday and loved it so worked really hard for 2 years to set up a job for my husband who is a mechanic and finally moved here a month ago from Scotland.

The place is lovely however we are finding everything so expensive! The cost of food is crazy, especially milk and cheese! Weekly papers provide details of the special offers in all of the local stores but who has time to shop in 5 different stores just to save some pennies!

Childcare is extortionate! We have 2 young kids and so far all of the enquiries we have made show that it is the norm for mum to stay home and look after the kids or for both parents to work all the hours to pay for a private nanny which can be about $2000 a month! Some childcare day homes have really long waiting lists and most pre-schools which would be the equivalent to nursery at home only provide 7 and a half hours care per week for $150-$200 a month.

We were under the impression that the working culture here allowed for a lot of family time however our experience so far shows that it's live to work here not work to live! I am aware that we have only been here a short time however it was apparent really quickly that we were much better off at home and we underestimated the support and childcare we had nearby.

Obviously this is a personal experience and we are fortunate enough to be in the position to go home.
I haven't read any of the comments, but I'm a bit surprised that you didn't know any of this before coming here. Did you really not research the prices of groceries and especially of childcare?
Old Jun 1st 2016, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
I haven't read any of the comments, but I'm a bit surprised that you didn't know any of this before coming here. Did you really not research the prices of groceries and especially of childcare?
Why not read the comments? Or search weewifey's posts? The answer to this question is in there..

Originally Posted by weewifey
Thank you for your reply plastic. We are not suffering from homesickness and did carry out lots of research prior to coming out here. We have friends and family here who enjoy living here but they are happy to have one parent stay at home with the kids until they attend school. I'm afraid I enjoy working and would like to continue being a working mother however the childcare options are very limited, and expensive.
Post #14: the OP "did carry out lots of research"
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
"did carry out lots of research"
'Lot's' being unquantified but evidently insufficient.

I'd have thought research priority number 1 if you have children would be 'how am I going to care for my children and how much will this cost?'

I can understand foreigngirl not reading 7 pages of comments, the majority of which are off topic.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 12:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'd have thought research priority number 1 if you have children would be 'how am I going to care for my children and how much will this cost?'
I suppose it depends where you move from.

Since living in Canada I have learned not to always take things for granted.

One does expect some differences but if funding child care costs were not an obstacle for parents' particular working patterns and salary levels in the UK, I wouldn't expect it to be a deal breaker for comparable working patterns/salary levels in Canada.

In the OPs case it doesn't seem that this wasn't researched, more that they underestimated what they already had.

As someone once said, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

Old Jun 3rd 2016, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

As someone once said, you don't know what you've got till it's gone.
Very true!
Old Jun 4th 2016, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

I earn about 2.5x what i was earning in the UK, but it's not all about the money brother
Low crime, less violent to,less drugs, better environment to gringo the kids up in you are right money isn't everything
My kids been safe is
Old Jun 6th 2016, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
Low crime, less violent to,less drugs, better environment to gringo the kids up in you are right money isn't everything
My kids been safe is
LOL, just keep telling yourself that
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, just keep telling yourself that
I thought pacepeter meant the UK?! Just goes to show how it's all about perspective and the area moved to/from - the list he's given is far more relevant to the UK IMO!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:09 pm
Oscar nominated

I thought pacepeter meant the UK?!
How does one gringo kids anyway?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How does one gringo kids anyway?
Maybe he meant Mexico?
Old Jun 6th 2016, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been living in the UK for 4 years. The standard of living compared Canada is low. There is far more violent crime here compared to Canada. The UK is a dump! LOL
Old Jun 6th 2016, 11:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
I have been living in the UK for 4 years. The standard of living compared Canada is low. There is far more violent crime here compared to Canada. The UK is a dump! LOL
Were you living in Davis Inlet before moving to Virginia Water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.