Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:28 am
Cowtown

Default Re: GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I don't actually have any gripe with school buses or aeroplanes or "big ass" gas guzzler vehicles. I couldn't give a toss what anyone drives to be perfectly honest; global warming is not top of my list of priorities and to be honest having done a lot of research on it and seeing that it has happened many, many times before I don't put a whole load of stock in the fact that my truck is going to be the damnation of this planet.

My reply was a touche' response to a rather simplistic comment.

So how far away from your children's school do you all live, townsfolk living in towns/cities? And why do you not walk to school or shops?
Did you actually read what I wrote? Its a tad over the top in response to my comment. The answer to your question was in fact in my original post.

You are having a bad day. No need to take it out on me!

Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
So how far away from your children's school do you all live, townsfolk living in towns/cities? And why do you not walk to school or shops?
About half a mile, and my children do. As do most, if not all, children who live in the street.

I walk to work too.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:22 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Did you actually read what I wrote? Its a tad over the top in response to my comment. The answer to your question was in fact in my original post.

You are having a bad day. No need to take it out on me!
Eh?? No idea what you are going on about. I guess you didn't what I actually wrote if you think this.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Wal-Mart - no, never. For the usual reasons. Labour relations etc. Oh and I'm highly anti the Americanisation of Canada in cultural and commercial terms. Nor will I eat the vile spew from McDonalds, wear Nike, fly with a US airline, vacation in the US, watch US news, etc.

Products - I had every consideration where my car was made, but no real equivalent was available. Yes,a four door car with 4 wheels and a gasoline engine sure, but no equality in every other respect in which I was looking. Some say that you are what you drive and who really wants to look like a sack of shit, when there are alternatives ? Generally, first I check the source and if a local/national comparable is available I'll buy Canadian, esp grocery. I don't go for price as a factor, in fact I would buy BC apples even when they're more expensive than US Washington State apples. I care where my $CA goes. Made in USA means SFA to me - I'm not a "continentalist" - the USA is the Great Satan as far as I'm concerned in every single respect. I'm anti NAFTA and free trade, naturally.

Greed is good - erm, not sure where you got that misunderstanding from, I don't think anyone who knows me would mistake my ethos, beliefs and values.

So basically I think you have absolutely no idea what I'm about. I've seen the shiny grey-suited slick-haired dark Satanic Mammon at work, been inside its lair, seen its evil deeds at close quarters, had to account for its lies and deceits and seen good people treated like numbers in an accounting system. I've seen things that would make your hail curl, and I gladly washed my hands of it all.

Rich.
I guess so long as you don't play golf, dabbling in a little dubiously moral conduct such as driving an Asian car isn't too awfully sinful. I think you're wrong on the economy though, I think the Canadian economy is a subisidiary of the US one and that what happens south of the border is more important to the financial wellbeing of Canadians than what happens north of it.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
You Can't fart against thunder ...end of story!
Maybe not, but those who farted against the thunder can reasonably complain when their efforts proved inadequate, those who farted with the storm ought not to bitch.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Some say that you are what you drive and who really wants to look like a sack of shit, when there are alternatives ?

Rich.
We've got a mini-van made by GM (I had to check as I don't know much about cars). We could have spent and extra $20K and got a Toyota or Honda but didn't think it worth it.

It doesn't look like a "sack of shit" to me though, it looks like every other mini-van. I'm not too fussed anyway, the wife does 80% of the driving, the kids use it as a playground getting in with ski-boots on and eating whatever and dropping it all over the floor.

I've never had a "good" car, and probably never will. We always buy an ex-demo with a long warranty thus avoiding the immediate depreciation hit.

Cars are just a hole into which one can pour money.

But the money we don't spend on high end cars we've invested and done very well on it.

BTW My mountain bike is high end and built in Canada
Old Nov 24th 2005, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Canadian economy is a subisidiary of the US one and that what happens south of the border is more important to the financial wellbeing of Canadians than what happens north of it.
Five years ago, yes. With a commodities boom today, I think the western provinces are going to be increasingly insulated from what happens in America.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarkG
Five years ago, yes. With a commodities boom today, I think the western provinces are going to be increasingly insulated from what happens in America.
I wouldn't think so, I'd imagine the US is an important market for Canadian commodities and I'd think increased oil drilling in Alaska might have an effect. Still, here we're very much insulated from the western provinces, so I don't pay a lot of attention.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I'd imagine the US is an important market for Canadian commodities and I'd think increased oil drilling in Alaska might have an effect.
It is, but I believe most of the rise in commodity prices in the last few years is due to demand from China and India: so long as Americans continue to buy enough DVD players to keep the Chinese economy going, they're likely to keep buying more and more from Canada.
Old Nov 25th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
Still, here we're very much insulated from the western provinces, so I don't pay a lot of attention.
You might do if the natural gas feed from west to east was turned off
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Mikeg44 is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]- witness Ford closing Dagenham in the UK, turning Halewood into a Jag plant etc.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Ford in the UK reduced capacity by closing Dagenham rather than higher cost German plants because it was easier to do it in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Small point, but for anyone who may be interested Dagenham is still going and has just been assigned production of the new Ford diesel engine.

I work for Ford in the UK so i can sympathise with the lay offs for GM as, like previously posted, the legacy costs attached to vehicle production are going to make it impossible to compete with manufacturers such as Toyota in the future. Especially as Ford is traditionally a close follower rather than industry innovator.