Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

This couldn't have come at a bad time for people that work in this business, especially when xmas is round the corner. They were saying the Oshawa plant is going to see cuts of about 3,900

The comapny they say, is in a lot of debt and problems and the only way to get out of it, is to lay off workers.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GM laying off 30,000 by 2008

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=GM

GM has debts of nearly $300,000,000,000 (I'm not sure whether that includes the pensions they're expected to pay either): this hasn't been much of a surprise to anyone who's been watching their financials for a while...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:12 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by finallygotout
This couldn't have come at a bad time for people that work in this business, especially when xmas is round the corner. They were saying the Oshawa plant is going to see cuts of about 3,900

The comapny they say, is in a lot of debt and problems and the only way to get out of it, is to lay off workers.

Yeppers, it's a big thing on the BBC World News right now. They've been in trouble for a while, they've already slashed jobs in Europe and now they're working on their home turf. They have problems with over production, healthcare, pensions and loss of market share to Toyota and Nissan etc. People simply aren't buying their cars like they used to. Adapt or die I guess and there's a real chance of bankruptcy in the next few years if they don't get it right. If you've ever seen "Roger and Me" by Michael Moore which is all about his home town Flint, Michigan was affected by GM closing their plant you'll know how they work!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read, in the last few years GM has basically turned from a car company into a pensions and healthcare company which made more of its money from car loans than actually selling cars. Not good prospects for competing against the Japanese (let alone the Chinese when they start building competitive cars with workers on a tenth of the pay).
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

love_it_here will become famous soon enoughlove_it_here will become famous soon enough

I am sorry that people are losing their jobs but GM really makes me cross. I hope they stop manufacturing stupid gas guzzling cars like the Hummer and start make more energy efficient vehicles. We bought a Toyota because it offered us much better MPG and that is very important to us. I am sure this is a lot of the reason they have lost market share.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:32 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by love_it_here
I am sorry that people are losing their jobs but GM really makes me cross. I hope they stop manufacturing stupid gas guzzling cars like the Hummer and start make more energy efficient vehicles. We bought a Toyota because it offered us much better MPG and that is very important to us. I am sure this is a lot of the reason they have lost market share.

Yes indeedy, that's probably a big reason why they ain't selling tanks, I mean cars, anymore. The world is changing and if people don't want to stop buying gas guzzlers for the environment's sake then at least they'll be doing it for reasons of cost. That's why I'm all for slapping tax on gas, it makes people think twice about using it thoughtlessly or buying uneconomical vehicles.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:08 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GillyC
..........That's why I'm all for slapping tax on gas, it makes people think twice about using it thoughtlessly or buying uneconomical vehicles.
What like 6Litre Dodge Ram trucks you mean? Just for your information I pay the same amount for my gas as you do.

I have a huge stock trailer which weighs over 3 tonnes when fully laden with hay.

I need to be able to tow a hay wagon weighing more from the fields down to the barns and then back up the hills again.

I have to be able to move trees, posts, fencing materials.

I have 3 large dogs who need to visit the vet once in a while.

My very long driveway is not maintained by the Township - levelling and snow-plowing is done by me.

I need to be able to use my snow plow.

I need to transport a lot of feed for my livestock on a regular basis.

So to run my farm what do you suggest I buy?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 2:11 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

This couldn't have come at a bad time for people that work in this business, especially when xmas is round the corner.
Anyway getting back to the original post - yes I think it is a real shame about this. All those people without jobs is not much fun to think of.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
What like 6Litre Dodge Ram trucks you mean? Just for your information I pay the same amount for my gas as you do.

I have a huge stock trailer which weighs over 3 tonnes when fully laden with hay.

I need to be able to tow a hay wagon weighing more from the fields down to the barns and then back up the hills again.

My very long driveway is not maintained by the Township - levelling and snow-plowing is done by me.

A couple of oxen
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 4:50 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Truck on farm and truck jobs and build a garage near the edge of property to park a more fuel efficient car for shopping trips.....

Also garage could double as a school bus shelter if your kids get picked up and dropped of by a bus.

Only question is cost of 2nd car v do it all truck gas usage.

Only a suggestion
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:10 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that this will not be the end of it for GM or Ford. Both companies are saddled with crippling pension liabilities from an aging workforce andas a result of years of union deals where they'd rather pay up than face strike action. Its also true that GM & Ford make more money on the bigger SUV's & Trucks than on the smaller cars so, short sighted management has led to them pumping out these in there 000's when the competition, particularly the Japanese have cornered the market in quality, fuel efficient & above all well built cars.

Overcapacity in car manufacturing is also a global problem - witness Ford closing Dagenham in the UK, turning Halewood into a Jag plant etc. Ultimately the infrastructure in plants and unfortunately people cannot be supported by the business and these cuts are going to happen. Sad, sad times for those affected but inevitable.

I got out of the industry in 2001 after 11 years with Ford in the UK. The writing on the wall was starting to appear then!
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

I suspect that this will not be the end of it for GM or Ford. Both companies are saddled with crippling pension liabilities from an aging workforce and as a result of years of union deals where they'd rather pay up than face strike action.
It's also not just GM and Ford: a lot of older, large unionised companies appear to have offered their workers huge benefits that they can't afford to pay now the bill has come in. US airlines, for example, seem to have been queueing up to go bankrupt so they can offload their pension liabilities onto the government before restarting as viable businesses without those debts.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:23 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Strapping and attractive farmhands.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

not on the same scale, but we lost MG Rover here earlier in the year. The competition is just too good
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 11:28 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
not on the same scale, but we lost MG Rover here earlier in the year. The competition is just too good
Bit different, MG Rover was walking dead since it was sold to the Phoenix consortium back in 2000. The only suprise was that it survived so long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.