Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a reference from an unhelpful insurance company

Getting a reference from an unhelpful insurance company

Old May 1st 2009, 7:32 am

plca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the rough
Default Getting a reference from an unhelpful insurance company

Hi all,

Early morning whinge...

Anyone have any ideas on how to get a car insurance reference from a stubborn and unhelpful company ?

I won't mention the name directly, but Michael Winner seems to like them. My policy runs out at end of May, and we fly out to Calgary first week of June (pig-flu permitting). When I phoned to tell them (a) I had sold my car (and thus won't need the policy), and (b) I needed a reference, they said they won't issue this until the policy actually expires.:curse: If I cancel before it officially lapses they will charge me again (my wife and I already got stung £50 for changing our address when we moved into rented in December:curse::curse. By the time they issue the reference, I will have left the country and probably already have bought a car. They won't send an email reference, only a written one to a UK address! Useless.

Hopefully a Canadian broker or insurance company will accept my previous Direct Line paperwork (this was issued by them no problem at all)...

Anyone had any success on getting a reference whilst still officially covered ?

Paul.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:26 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a reference from an unhelpful insurance company

Hi

Sorry, not sure what you can do, I work for another one, otherwise I would have tried to help.

Rather than a reference you could perhaps see if your insurers will send you a CUE report, this will clearly list any claims you have made, or none as the case maybe for Motor and Household Insurance.

Alternatively, rather than requesting it as a formal reference, you could try the soft approach and hope you get someone more helpful, along the lines of you are moving and can they just put a couple of lines on paper confirming your claims history This would at least give you something to show

Good luck, I am hoping I may get this ok
Old May 1st 2009, 8:41 am

plca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the roughplca is a jewel in the rough

Thanks nikki dreaming, I've not heard of a CUE report - I'll ask them and see what they say. I suppose they think that I could still claim on the policy, even though I've told them the car has been sold (which I can prove). I probably have to stump up the money and actually *cancel* the policy...

Good luck with your move on the 9th - just a few days after us.

P.
Old May 1st 2009, 8:43 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good luck to you too