Reload this Page >

getting our decision in november

getting our decision in november

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:48 am
Just Joined

alison223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting our decision in november

Hi
We started our process off in Nov 2004 and are expecting to be sent for our medicals this November.
I have the house up for sale so hopefully it will have sold by the time we get our visas in Feb/March. (i hope i am not being too presumptious but we have 74 points on the test so cant see a reason for them to turn us down)
Anyway The reason I am writing is really boring, I guess it has been asked a million times. BUT if anyone has any tips or advice for us we would really appreciate it.
We are going to vancouver. We have 3 kids all of school age (9,13 and 14) and will be bringing our dog too.
Thanks
Ali
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:55 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: getting our decision in november

Originally Posted by alison223
Hi
We started our process off in Nov 2004 and are expecting to be sent for our medicals this November.
I have the house up for sale so hopefully it will have sold by the time we get our visas in Feb/March. (i hope i am not being too presumptious but we have 74 points on the test so cant see a reason for them to turn us down)
Anyway The reason I am writing is really boring, I guess it has been asked a million times. BUT if anyone has any tips or advice for us we would really appreciate it.
We are going to vancouver. We have 3 kids all of school age (9,13 and 14) and will be bringing our dog too.
Thanks
Ali
Ali,

What are your five major concerns right now?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Ali,

What are your five major concerns right now?
HI
They would be........
1...schools for the kids...as we have no idea in Vancouver where we are settling as that depends on where John (my Hubby) can get work
2...What if the immigration people say NO
3...My Husband getting a job....he is a Garage manager here for a transport company but is also a retainied fire fighter in his spare time.
4...Renting somewhere before we arrive. I do have relies in Vancouver but will not feel comfortable moving into their beautiful clean and tidy home with 3 kids and dog...I want them to stay friends with us Hahahah
5...House prices....they seem to have gone up a little bit each time i trawl through the MSL site.
Does all that sound stupid???
I have so much going round in my head though at the moment as we have been waiting for this so long....now it seems we dont have that long to tie up lose ends here, we are not bringing any furniture with us ect so have a whole house full of stuff to sell/give away ect.
Ali
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:31 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

HI
They would be........
We're thinking about Vancouver too, so I'll feed back a bit of what I know. Others will I've sure be able to give more "on the field" experience.

1...schools for the kids...as we have no idea in Vancouver where we are settling as that depends on where John (my Hubby) can get work

Obviously difficult - you may have to choose first the school, then the area and then get stuck with a commute! In BC you need to live within the school board's responsibility area. I would consider a good school the priority. There are loads of sites explaining the different areas and it depends how far you want to live from the city centre. I've been told to avoid: Richmond, Delta, Surrey (Earthquake areas apparently) and East Van. Probably will look at North Van (more rain though) and Burnaby.

We'll try to put our children into the Francophone school board, so this will dictate where we live.

Australia? No, I'm kidding. Doesn't look likely that you'll be rejected. Your plan B could be to move in the UK to somewhere different that could give you a lot of what you would like. The UK's no at all a bad place to live in.

3...My Husband getting a job....he is a Garage manager here for a transport company but is also a retainied fire fighter in his spare time.

What have you done to eleviate this concern? Have you made a list of all the garages in Gtr Vancouver and tried to contact them? What is necessary to be a fireman in Canada? Is there a big demand for firemen (in the UK it's one of the most popular professions - meaning low demand)?

What you could do is to buy "What color's [sic] my parachute?". It's a career book that will help dissociate your husband's skills from what he does and may show the way to alternative careers. Then identify, choose and telephone!!!!

4...Renting somewhere before we arrive. I do have relies in Vancouver but will not feel comfortable moving into their beautiful clean and tidy home with 3 kids and dog...I want them to stay friends with us Hahahah

Can't recommend much - you need to rent near to the school you want for your children as I've said before. Rents are apparently very cheap in Vancouver. Around $CAD1400 for 150m².

5...House prices....they seem to have gone up a little bit each time i trawl through the MSL site.

My friend thinks that there is a speculative bubble which will burst after the olympics leading to a 20-40% reduction in prices. I'm not over sure, but there you go. Prices go up, they go up - I wouldn't worry about what you can't control.

No, moving is the most stressfull thing you can do... and emmigrating! Well. We've thought about almost all of these things too.

I have so much going round in my head though at the moment as we have been waiting for this so long....now it seems we dont have that long to tie up lose ends here, we are not bringing any furniture with us ect so have a whole house full of stuff to sell/give away ect.

Are you sure you don't want to bring your furniture. Other posters have suggested that it's cheaper to hire a container than refurnish a typical family house.

Ali[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: getting our decision in november

We're thinking about Vancouver too, so I'll feed back a bit of what I know. Others will I've sure be able to give more "on the field" experience.

Obviously difficult - you may have to choose first the school, then the area and then get stuck with a commute! In BC you need to live within the school board's responsibility area. I would consider a good school the priority. There are loads of sites explaining the different areas and it depends how far you want to live from the city centre. I've been told to avoid: Richmond, Delta, Surrey (Earthquake areas apparently) and East Van. Probably will look at North Van (more rain though) and Burnaby.

We'll try to put our children into the Francophone school board, so this will dictate where we live.

Australia? No, I'm kidding. Doesn't look likely that you'll be rejected. Your plan B could be to move in the UK to somewhere different that could give you a lot of what you would like. The UK's no at all a bad place to live in.

What have you done to eleviate this concern? Have you made a list of all the garages in Gtr Vancouver and tried to contact them? What is necessary to be a fireman in Canada? Is there a big demand for firemen (in the UK it's one of the most popular professions - meaning low demand)?

What you could do is to buy "What color's [sic] my parachute?". It's a career book that will help dissociate your husband's skills from what he does and may show the way to alternative careers. Then identify, choose and telephone!!!!

Can't recommend much - you need to rent near to the school you want for your children as I've said before. Rents are apparently very cheap in Vancouver. Around $CAD1400 for 150m².

My friend thinks that there is a speculative bubble which will burst after the olympics leading to a 20-40% reduction in prices. I'm not over sure, but there you go. Prices go up, they go up - I wouldn't worry about what you can't control.

No, moving is the most stressfull thing you can do... and emmigrating! Well. We've thought about almost all of these things too.

Are you sure you don't want to bring your furniture. Other posters have suggested that it's cheaper to hire a container than refurnish a typical family house.

Ali
[/QUOTE]
Hi Canada 2006
So you have still not relocated. When are you hoping to get over??
Thanks for the advice.
We have looked at many job options...its just a worry going over with out a job offer already in place....know what I mean.....companies say they cant offer him one till he has landed.
What is the Francophone schol board, I have not heard of that at all?
As we have same family out there aldready they have all offered appliances/furnishing ect to start us off...all our stuff is from Ikea anyway so it would cost more than its worth to ship it over. And I know Ikea is in Vancouver so I could just buy all the same stuff again hahaha.
I like the look of Port mody and hope to settle there, the Sunshine coast is also beautiful but links to down town Vancouver are not good. My dream place is White Rock but that is way to expensive for us.
Thanks again for replying to my post. I think I am just having a worry day today. I know everything will work out.
Ali
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:14 pm
C'est correck

Hi Canada 2006
So you have still not relocated. When are you hoping to get over??
Thanks for the advice.
We have looked at many job options...its just a worry going over with out a job offer already in place....know what I mean.....companies say they cant offer him one till he has landed.
What is the Francophone schol board, I have not heard of that at all?
As we have same family out there aldready they have all offered appliances/furnishing ect to start us off...all our stuff is from Ikea anyway so it would cost more than its worth to ship it over. And I know Ikea is in Vancouver so I could just buy all the same stuff again hahaha.
I like the look of Port mody and hope to settle there, the Sunshine coast is also beautiful but links to down town Vancouver are not good. My dream place is White Rock but that is way to expensive for us.
Thanks again for replying to my post. I think I am just having a worry day today. I know everything will work out.
Ali
Hi,

We're looking to go out to Canada mid to end next year. Really asap, but have to get the federal application in yet.

It's going to be interesting going over - it's a real case of changing one's mindset to going out and hunting down that job. If you're really clear about what you can do (with good evidence to back up) and really clear about what you want to do, I think you'll have no problems. BTW get two to three written references that you can handout to employers from your current UK employers.

As for the Francophone school board, well I hadn't heard of that either, but a friend told me about it. Basically one of the parents needs to have French as a first language to be able to qualify. That's fine for us.

The Tri-cities area does look really nice, and in 2010 the skytrain will be there, so that should be good for property prices (although it's probably already factored into the price). Personally, having lived 45 minutes outside Manchester in the UK, it's too far out for me - but it does look like a nice community.

You'll be fine once you're out there. Failure is not an option, so you'll continue working really hard until it works. That's what immigrants do!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We're looking to go out to Canada mid to end next year. Really asap, but have to get the federal application in yet.

It's going to be interesting going over - it's a real case of changing one's mindset to going out and hunting down that job. If you're really clear about what you can do (with good evidence to back up) and really clear about what you want to do, I think you'll have no problems. BTW get two to three written references that you can handout to employers from your current UK employers.

As for the Francophone school board, well I hadn't heard of that either, but a friend told me about it. Basically one of the parents needs to have French as a first language to be able to qualify. That's fine for us.

The Tri-cities area does look really nice, and in 2010 the skytrain will be there, so that should be good for property prices (although it's probably already factored into the price). Personally, having lived 45 minutes outside Manchester in the UK, it's too far out for me - but it does look like a nice community.

You'll be fine once you're out there. Failure is not an option, so you'll continue working really hard until it works. That's what immigrants do!
That is so true.....we are going out with the firm intention of never ever coming back....whats the point of going through he whole process only to give up after say 6 months. Of course i expect we will get homesick especially the kids, but we have dreamed of this for so long that will will do everything to MAKE it work.
So I take it you are married to a Belgium and will be emigrating from there.
When are you gonna get you application in it has taken us two years to get this far as I think I said before.
John has an excellent personal reference from his MD...so good I asked him if he had written it him self and others from collegues ect.
Hope all goes well with your application
Ali
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:41 pm
C'est correck

That is so true.....we are going out with the firm intention of never ever coming back....whats the point of going through he whole process only to give up after say 6 months. Of course i expect we will get homesick especially the kids, but we have dreamed of this for so long that will will do everything to MAKE it work.
So I take it you are married to a Belgium and will be emigrating from there.
When are you gonna get you application in it has taken us two years to get this far as I think I said before.
John has an excellent personal reference from his MD...so good I asked him if he had written it him self and others from collegues ect.
Hope all goes well with your application
Ali
I think your kids will be less homesick than you, if you don't mind me saying so! They're so much more adaptable than the most flexible of adults.

Indeed, my OH is Belgian and we've applied via Québec, so processing times are 3-9months. Just waiting for Scotland yard to get its act together & send my empty criminal record.

I'm glad John's boss has given an excellent reference. It'll be so useful - more so than in the UK I think.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Have you joined http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brits2vancouver/

I think you will find it useful.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
Have you joined http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brits2vancouver/

I think you will find it useful.
Thanks pink panther..will look at it later on.
Cant wait to get to Vancouver.....where abouts are you??
Ali
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all

Thanks pink panther..will look at it later on.
Cant wait to get to Vancouver.....where abouts are you??
Ali
I'm in the Port Moody area, so if you want any info about the place, let me know. I have kids in the school system. Send me a PM and I'll email you offline if it's easier.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=pinkpanther]I'm in the Port Moody area, so if you want any info about the place, let me know.

Got your mail and have replied thanks for the info Ali
Old Oct 4th 2006, 11:58 am
Just Joined

J & Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks
Ali
Hi Ali,
I really hope you will get your medicals request and things work out to your timings but to be honest it doesn't always work out that way. I really don't want to put a damper on your plans but we had our medicals in May (our AOR was July 04) and haven't heard a thing since!!! So we are glad we didn't put our house up for sale etc as we daren't presume everything will be ok. On the other hand, other people had their medicals and received their PPR (Passport requests) only 4 weeks later so they were very lucky and we are now paranoid they don't want us anyway!!! As you know you can't contact the CHC so its very frustrating waiting now, but we must be patient!! We are under the impression that its the luck of the draw who deals with your application and the various case officers must work in their own way as there doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency with regards to the timings of each individual application. I really hope yours will go better than ours.
All the very best
Janette
Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by J & Ric
Hi Ali,
I really hope you will get your medicals request and things work out to your timings but to be honest it doesn't always work out that way. I really don't want to put a damper on your plans but we had our medicals in May (our AOR was July 04) and haven't heard a thing since!!! So we are glad we didn't put our house up for sale etc as we daren't presume everything will be ok. On the other hand, other people had their medicals and received their PPR (Passport requests) only 4 weeks later so they were very lucky and we are now paranoid they don't want us anyway!!! As you know you can't contact the CHC so its very frustrating waiting now, but we must be patient!! We are under the impression that its the luck of the draw who deals with your application and the various case officers must work in their own way as there doesn't seem to be any sort of consistency with regards to the timings of each individual application. I really hope yours will go better than ours.
All the very best
Janette
Hi Janette
OMG..thats a long time to wait!!!!Cant you send in a CAIP application? That should give you an idea of where you are. We are sending for our CAIPS in a couple of weeks.
I hope we dont have to wait that long for ours. We employed a Canadian Immigration lawyer that is based on the North shore, he has been fantastic.
I have the house up for sale because we want to have the cash in the bank when we get the YES (no negative thinking) so we can just book our flights and go. We will rent in the mean time if need be.
Hope you hear soon...its agony waiting!!!
Ali
Old Oct 5th 2006, 10:02 am
Just Joined

J & Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janette
OMG..thats a long time to wait!!!!Cant you send in a CAIP application? That should give you an idea of where you are. We are sending for our CAIPS in a couple of weeks.
I hope we dont have to wait that long for ours. We employed a Canadian Immigration lawyer that is based on the North shore, he has been fantastic.
I have the house up for sale because we want to have the cash in the bank when we get the YES (no negative thinking) so we can just book our flights and go. We will rent in the mean time if need be.
Hope you hear soon...its agony waiting!!!
Ali
Hi Ali,
Excuse my ignorance but can you explain what a CAIP application is?!!
I love your positivity, I am so sorry for sounding so negative - I had an accident a few weeks ago and ended up on crutches so have lots of time on my hands to dwell on things! Then on Monday my mum also had an accident and ended up in hospital so some good news would be more than welcome at this time as you can imagine!!
Thank you
J

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.