Reload this Page >

getting off the plane.....

getting off the plane.....

Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

cha1mers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting off the plane.....

Hi there,
Have read a few posts but still not quite sure what happens.
My wife and I are going to be moving to Vancouver on the 16th Feb and are very excited to start our new life abroad.
I am a carpenter and have got a LMIA.
Just not quite sure of what happens when we get off the plane, I get that we go to immigration and hand it over to get my work permit and my wife's open work permit, but any more info about this part would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ross
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting off the plane.....

The 1st officer you see will be the primary officer who you give passport and declaration card to. Tell this officer you will be applying for a work permit.
They will then tell you to go to the Immigration office. Present LMIA and request OWP and pay any fees. Not sure if you collect baggage before or after this stage.
You will need to go to a Service Canada office to register for your SIN.
If you have goods to follow tell them while having work permit processed.
Thats about it.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

cha1mers is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great thanks.
Much appreciated =)
Old Jan 28th 2016, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The 1st officer you see will be the primary officer who you give passport and declaration card to. Tell this officer you will be applying for a work permit.
They will then tell you to go to the Immigration office. Present LMIA and request OWP and pay any fees. Not sure if you collect baggage before or after this stage.
You will need to go to a Service Canada office to register for your SIN.
If you have goods to follow tell them while having work permit processed.
Thats about it.
We were told to collect our bags and then go to secondary.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
We were told to collect our bags and then go to secondary.
Same as we were told when we arrived in Dec.

Be aware though that you have to leave them outside secondary at YVR (it isn't that big). There was someone there to watch them but I got the impression they wouldn't know whos bags are whos.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:07 am
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on how busy is, be prepared to wait in immigration. We waited around 2 hours!