Reload this Page >

Drivers License transfer questions

Drivers License transfer questions

Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

LukeS1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Drivers License transfer questions

Hi there,

I am wondering when my British drivers license is transferred to Canadian drivers license in Ontario do I get to keep my license and is it still valid in Britain?

If its not then if//when I transfer it back for any reason like it doesn't work out in Canada will I have a full UK license? or just an automatic license? and what will it say on the license of when I passed my test the actual date or when I moved back?

I would get a second license anyway before I leave for Canada just as proof of my entitlement should I ever move back and the DVLA lose my details.

Thanks in advance I cannot find this information anywhere.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drivers License transfer questions

Originally Posted by LukeS1994
Hi there,

I am wondering when my British drivers license is transferred to Canadian drivers license in Ontario do I get to keep my license and is it still valid in Britain?

If its not then if//when I transfer it back for any reason like it doesn't work out in Canada will I have a full UK license? or just an automatic license? and what will it say on the license of when I passed my test the actual date or when I moved back?

I would get a second license anyway before I leave for Canada just as proof of my entitlement should I ever move back and the DVLA lose my details.

Thanks in advance I cannot find this information anywhere.
You surrender your license. DVLA still hold your history should you wish to transfer back (which you can view online)

Applying for a second license for this purpose is not allowed as it will not be valid once exchanged (which when you view your online driver details it will show as such)
Old Jan 30th 2016, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
You surrender your license. DVLA still hold your history should you wish to transfer back (which you can view online)

Applying for a second license for this purpose is not allowed as it will not be valid once exchanged (which when you view your online driver details it will show as such)
So you can view your UK drivers license online? and that information never expires with the DVLA?

Getting a second license I know it wouldn't be valid, its more for my piece of mind than anything else.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:52 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeS1994
So you can view your UK drivers license online? and that information never expires with the DVLA?

Getting a second license I know it wouldn't be valid, its more for my piece of mind than anything else.

Thanks for your help
You can access your divers record online with DVLA so long as you have you drivers number and NI number I believe. Your UK license expires at age 70 unless it is taken away by DVLA for some other reason sooner.

My UK driver record does not show I hold a foreign license. It is not so much as a second license not being valid as illegal now. My OH still has her UK paper license, DVLA hung on to mine when I sent it in for another reason.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:15 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few questions that are more like queries for those who know about these things.
If being in receipt of a UK drivers license allows you to exchange it for, in my case a BC license, then by definition this accepts the thesis that the two are in some respects equivalent in that they bear witness to the competence of the owner to control a vehicle in both countries.
Why then is it necessary to surrender/exchange the one in order to obtain the other?
Why cannot an individual keep the one while using its assumed statement of competence to acquire the other?
Why is the ownership of two licenses not to be allowed?
Is there an intelligent reason or is it something that just happened and like so many other bureaucratic niceties 'it's just the way it is?'
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:21 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I have a few questions that are more like queries for those who know about these things.
If being in receipt of a UK drivers license allows you to exchange it for, in my case a BC license, then by definition this accepts the thesis that the two are in some respects equivalent in that they bear witness to the competence of the owner to control a vehicle in both countries.
Why then is it necessary to surrender/exchange the one in order to obtain the other?
Why cannot an individual keep the one while using its assumed statement of competence to acquire the other?
Why is the ownership of two licenses not to be allowed?
Is there an intelligent reason or is it something that just happened and like so many other bureaucratic niceties 'it's just the way it is?'

It's necessary to exchange as it's illegal to hold multiple licences from different jurisdictions. You just need to get over the need for a UK licence. It has no relevance or use here. Exchanging it didn't stop you reclaiming it again if you return to be resident in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:29 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's necessary to exchange as it's illegal to hold multiple licences from different jurisdictions. You just need to get over the need for a UK licence. It has no relevance or use here. Exchanging it didn't stop you reclaiming it again if you return to be resident in the UK.
I understand that, but my query is why is the surrender essential?
A similar argument about passports can be made but as we know, once you assume citizenship of one country it doesn't automatically invalidate citizenship of the other and demand surrender of its passport.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:50 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A similar argument about passports can be made but as we know, once you assume citizenship of one country it doesn't automatically invalidate citizenship of the other and demand surrender of its passport.
So you can't have one licence confiscated for breaking the law and continue driving on your second.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:03 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Bajeez- how many times has this exact same question been asked in the last couple of months? I admire the helpfulness of the responders- the answer is typically the same - you get your licence in Canada, you lose your UK one but use your Canadian one in UK with no problem, we have, many times. If you move back, you get your UK one back and lose your Canadian one... Maybe we need a link and advice re this in the Wiki if it isn't already in there- it may be.

Oh re the surrendering Dave, we didn't surrender ours as we had to take the BC test here- just before they had a reciprocal agreement We still have our licenses but they are invalid and useless anyhow.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 31st 2016 at 2:41 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:14 am
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by BritInParis
So you can't have one licence confiscated for breaking the law and continue driving on your second.
Ahhh, now that makes a bit of sense and not surprised I didn't think of it, just the way the mind goes.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 2:16 am
Listen to the Music

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Oh re the surrendering Dave, we didn't surrender ours as we had to take the BC test here- just before they had a reciprocal agreement we still have our licenses but they are invalid and useless anyhow.
And many thanks for that one. See, - I told myself that I'd get some help from BE and I was right.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:12 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, now that makes a bit of sense and not surprised I didn't think of it, just the way the mind goes.
Furthermore, so you don't hand your UK license to an officer every time you're pulled over for speeding, thereby escaping without demerits.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you manage to get another UK licence after surrendering it in Canada to get a Canadian one, you'll try to hire a car or similar in the UK and find your UK one is invalid. Yes, the Canadian and British driving authorities do actually talk to each other (or at least update mutual databases).

As SP says, when you go back for hols, just use your Canadian driving licence (you'll have to anyway).

S
Old Jan 31st 2016, 4:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a BC license to do an exchange, Service BC hang on to your license, you don't surrender it. If you won't hand it over, you don't get a BC license.You have to do this withing 90 days of taking up residency in BC, after which you cannot drive on an out of province license.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Makes sense now thanks.

One more question what do I do if I move from Ontario to BC for example can I drive on my Ontario license or again do I do an exchange?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.