Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a job - perseverance pays off .............

Getting a job - perseverance pays off .............

Old May 29th 2012, 3:31 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a job - perseverance pays off .............

Just a little something to think about ..............

I was at my Canadian families place last week for some drinkies and there was a guest there, he is a young guy from New Brunswick working on the rigs here in AB and now during break up for my bil.

I was asking him about why and how he made the move over, was it tough etc etc etc.

He said that he needed to pay off his student loans and there was no way of doing it quickly in an entry level job over there, so one day decided to just fly to Calgary and try and get work in the black gold industry.

This is when I said "well that must have been easy because I know they are crying out for hands so they must have welcomed you with open arms.

He said apparently not (easy - not crying out) - he drove up to Nisku (a 2.5hr trip one way) to sit his tickets which he paid for himself and then badgered every oil company up there by going into their offices every 3 days or so and also located all the drilling rigs around the area and went on site to badger the bosses there too. Eventually after a month he was taken on.

I must admit I was taken aback that he wasn't succesful sooner - but apparently following a discussion with the hr woman at the company he finally landed a job with, she told him "We get literally hundreds of emails a week from people - and they nearly all go "in the trash" because the ones worth hiring are the ones that make the effort and do some leg work".

So you can absolutely see her point, life in the oilfield is tough at the best of times, so if you can stick at it and show some initiative - the rewards are there.

So this post is really to say (not just in this field) don't just send emails of resumes - get stuck in there and prove you are worth hiring - it really does have its rewards
Old May 29th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting a job - perseverance pays off .............

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Just a little something to think about ..............

I was at my Canadian families place last week for some drinkies and there was a guest there, he is a young guy from New Brunswick working on the rigs here in AB and now during break up for my bil.

I was asking him about why and how he made the move over, was it tough etc etc etc.

He said that he needed to pay off his student loans and there was no way of doing it quickly in an entry level job over there, so one day decided to just fly to Calgary and try and get work in the black gold industry.

This is when I said "well that must have been easy because I know they are crying out for hands so they must have welcomed you with open arms.

He said apparently not (easy - not crying out) - he drove up to Nisku (a 2.5hr trip one way) to sit his tickets which he paid for himself and then badgered every oil company up there by going into their offices every 3 days or so and also located all the drilling rigs around the area and went on site to badger the bosses there too. Eventually after a month he was taken on.

I must admit I was taken aback that he wasn't succesful sooner - but apparently following a discussion with the hr woman at the company he finally landed a job with, she told him "We get literally hundreds of emails a week from people - and they nearly all go "in the trash" because the ones worth hiring are the ones that make the effort and do some leg work".

So you can absolutely see her point, life in the oilfield is tough at the best of times, so if you can stick at it and show some initiative - the rewards are there.

So this post is really to say (not just in this field) don't just send emails of resumes - get stuck in there and prove you are worth hiring - it really does have its rewards
great post mandy, getting my walking boots ready!!!
Old May 29th 2012, 4:59 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Moo and you can see where the HR lady was coming from. x
Old May 30th 2012, 1:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to work for some people. I am always told to apply online or to email my resume more times then not when trying to apply in person
Old May 30th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

great post. Well done to him
Old May 30th 2012, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good post and almost had me going but then I read it again and I concluded that you were referring to him coming across from NB and not the UK.
UK readers NOTE you cannot just hop on a plane and come and start working.
Sure you can hop on that plane and come job hunting but you have to go back unless you can secure an LMO.
Basically what Im saying is dont come to Canada thinking you will walk into a job or will be allowed to stay for X amount of time to look for one unless you have permission to do so from CBSA.
The bigger companies will not hire you unless you have legal status or allowed to work.
If found misrepresenting yourself to CBSA you will probably be looking at a one year Exclusion Order if caught or sent back before even being admitted.
Do it the correct way and you will be fine.
Old May 30th 2012, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Good post.