Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Bringing to Canada a reconditioned Aga or Rayburn - issues?

Bringing to Canada a reconditioned Aga or Rayburn - issues?

Old May 29th 2012, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

canuckypom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing to Canada a reconditioned Aga or Rayburn - issues?

Hi - I read a thread on the forum from about 4-5 years a go on this but am wondering what the current advice is on bringing over a reconditioned Aga or Rayburn? I know they cost a fortune in Canada but on ebay in the UK they can go for a fraction - and since the container is going anyway...

We have an old house in Canada and could fit the stove right into the hearth and it would provide some wonderful (and needed) supplementary heat as well as use for cooking. We'd also like to be able to use it for hot water as a back boiler - though this may be one step too far in Canada with insurance... We're considering a solid fuel one as we have an unlimited wood supply in Nova Scotia.

Anyway, any considerations or experience out there? I'm looking particularly for advice on their acceptance by insurance companies and related technical considerations on the process. I think I read on some forum that they can be included on standard house policies in Canada.. but the memories vague and it would be a costly piece to get wrong.

Thanks for any help.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

in the woods will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bringing to Canada a reconditioned Aga or Rayburn - issues?

why not email a few insurance comanys for a quote johnsons or bluenose spring to mind here in cape breton. We pay a bit more for having a woodstove they asked how many cords we burnt
Old May 29th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's a very sensible idea. We have 2 woodstoves in the house already and it's been insured with Co-operators. But I figured they wouldn't know anything about Agas and - since the stove wouldn't be CSA approved - it might be a headache. I'd rather have the info before calling them and raising their antennae, if you know what I mean.. armed with knowledge and others' experience..
Old May 29th 2012, 11:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canuckypom
Thanks, that's a very sensible idea. We have 2 woodstoves in the house already and it's been insured with Co-operators. But I figured they wouldn't know anything about Agas and - since the stove wouldn't be CSA approved - it might be a headache. I'd rather have the info before calling them and raising their antennae, if you know what I mean.. armed with knowledge and others' experience..
I couldn't get a house with a woodstove insured without the insurance company sending someone to look at it. I think this is a problem because they'll see the lack of a CSA mark and won't like that.
Old May 29th 2012, 1:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago a poster living in Manitoba called MB REALTOR told that he had imported one and had it installed here at a cost, as I recall, of $25,000. I don't know what fuel source he used.
Old May 29th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for our replies.

Re the CSA approval, I guess I really need to hear from someone in the know within the Aga fraternity - the Aga stoves do exist in Canada. The Canadian outlet for Aga actually brings them over from England and sells them in Ca - but since they last forever there's a roaring trade in used and refurbished ones in England (which AGA is not totally delighted about) and if I individually bring one over the exact unit wouldn't have had a CSA sticker - though the model might be CSA approved, if you know what I mean? Guess I need to know how the CSA approval process works...

It shouldn't cost that much to install one (pretty basic technology) but it depends what someone is doing for the installation I guess (and dependent on the type of fuel it's using).
Old May 29th 2012, 3:30 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't cost that much to install one (pretty basic technology) but it depends what someone is doing for the installation I guess (and dependent on the type of fuel it's using).
When I built my house and installed an Opal Zero Clearance wood burning fireplace the insurance company insisted that the installer was on their list of certified and approved installers. They also wanted photos of each step in the process. They were happy with end result and it hasn't been a problem since.
Old May 29th 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
When I built my house and installed an Opal Zero Clearance wood burning fireplace the insurance company insisted that the installer was on their list of certified and approved installers. They also wanted photos of each step in the process. They were happy with end result and it hasn't been a problem since.
Simon, was there any issue with whether the Opal unit itself was CSA approved or were they just concerned about the installation process? I don't know the Opals so don't know if they're manufactured in Canada..? Maybe I should try to hunt down an Aga installer in Nova Scotia or in another province and see what they say.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2012, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps, when we bought our Aga the company we got it from said they export a heck of a lot to Canada, so maybe you could buy when you get out there rather than having to take it with you?
Old May 29th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If it helps, when we bought our Aga the company we got it from said they export a heck of a lot to Canada, so maybe you could buy when you get out there rather than having to take it with you?
Hi - did you buy your's in the UK and the AGA man said this? What store was it? The problem is we couldn't afford to buy one IN Canada - the cheapest model from AGA Canada is heading for $10K. We can get a used one in England for about £700-£1K.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - did you buy your's in the UK and the AGA man said this? What store was it? The problem is we couldn't afford to buy one IN Canada - the cheapest model from AGA Canada is heading for $10K. We can get a used one in England for about £700-£1K.
Yes, we got ours in the UK, it wasn't from a store though, it was from a company that reconditions them. I'll PM you their details, although it was more than the price you've mentioned above but they are completely re-enamalled, plus the asbestos taken out and replaced with modern materials, new chrome plates etc.

Can't recommend them highly enough though, they were fantastic and it looked like a new model when we got it, plus the guys that installed it were lovely. We couldn't just get a second hand one on Ebay etc, as ours had to be a 30amp electric model as we're not on mains gas, so they're just too rare.

Old May 29th 2012, 8:40 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Simon, was there any issue with whether the Opal unit itself was CSA approved or were they just concerned about the installation process? I don't know the Opals so don't know if they're manufactured in Canada..? Maybe I should try to hunt down an Aga installer in Nova Scotia or in another province and see what they say.

Thanks
No issues with the Opal unit. It was the installation that they wanted to monitor. Try www.icc-rsf to see what they have.
Old May 29th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks both. I'm looking for a solid fuel version as should be good when the power goes out (as it does in winter!)
Old May 30th 2012, 9:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks both. I'm looking for a solid fuel version as should be good when the power goes out (as it does in winter!)
I couldn't be doing with the hassle of solid fuel personally, and of course there's enough stored heat in the Aga for ours to keep going for around 24/36 hours after a power cut, but I guess it depends on how long your outages usually last!

Old May 30th 2012, 10:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I couldn't be doing with the hassle of solid fuel personally, and of course there's enough stored heat in the Aga for ours to keep going for around 24/36 hours after a power cut, but I guess it depends on how long your outages usually last!

The government says people should be prepared for 72 hours without power though a 48 hour disruption is the longest I've enjoyed.