Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Getting a car with an IEC visa

Getting a car with an IEC visa

Old May 9th 2014, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all
Default Getting a car with an IEC visa

Hello BE,

So as the title says, does anyone have any advice or Experiance on getting a car while on an IEC visa?

Obviously can't get a 5yr lease.
Maybe get a lease takeover?
Buying a used car? (I know plenty about car mechanic, but anything under 3k is a rust bucket)

So as someone who obviously doesn't have a huge budget, and plans on being in canada for several years; what do I do?

Ty
Old May 9th 2014, 7:52 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting a car with an IEC visa

I'm not sure about getting a lease or how that works with IEC. So sorry, got no advice on that!

I bought a used car outright. It was meant to be $7,500 before tax but I got mine for $6,500 with tax and winter and summer tyres with some other stuff thrown in too because it had been sat on the forecourt for a while. (It's a 2006 Mazda3 with 86,000 km and no rust to give you an idea). There are some decent deals if you're willing to go round a few places; Kijiji can be worth a look too depending on your location.
Old May 9th 2014, 8:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that both lease/lease takoever are non starters due to absense of credit history. If you were here in a more permanent way then a lease would maybe be possible with a large security downpayment, but on an IEC its unlikely to happen.

You might have to live with a "beater" unless you have the cash to buy something newer.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

AnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to allAnotherBloke is a name known to all

Thanks for the response; it's a tricky position, I think my only option personally is to get a used car. It seems way more risky than in the UK (so many cars would pass an MOT just because of the rust in the uk), did you buy your used car from a dealer or private?

Cheers
Old May 9th 2014, 10:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherBloke
Thanks for the response; it's a tricky position, I think my only option personally is to get a used car. It seems way more risky than in the UK (so many cars would pass an MOT just because of the rust in the uk), did you buy your used car from a dealer or private?

Cheers
I don't know where you're heading or what your plans are, but consider how many times you could rent a brand new vehicle for a day/weekend/week for the price of a $3k banger (+ $5K insurance).
Old May 9th 2014, 10:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't know where you're heading or what your plans are, but consider how many times you could rent a brand new vehicle for a day/weekend/week for the price of a $3k banger (+ $5K insurance).
Or one of the Car Sharing companies, Modo etc.
Old May 9th 2014, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Or one of the Car Sharing companies, Modo etc.
Depends where he's heading to though. In a large city yes that too.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Currently in Canada (Montreal), and working. I would get a lease but I think because my permit is only 1 year, and credit score, I don't thinks that's an option.

won't be easy to save up and buy a car.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:55 am
Born again atheist

Currently in Canada (Montreal), and working. I would get a lease but I think because my permit is only 1 year, and credit score, I don't thinks that's an option.

won't be easy to save up and buy a car.
Why exactly do you want one?
Old May 10th 2014, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried using your IEC Mastercard?

Seriously buying a car on an IEC work permit is going to probably be a cash only transaction. Leasing one highly unlikely as essentially you are legally only here working for 12 months.
With no credit history your best bet is to rent or if possible do the car share.
If you have a wad of money you could buy and then sell it.
Make sure you check out the requirements for buying a used vehicle sold privately as opposed to buying one from a dealer. Most provinces require that the vehicle has a current valid safety inspection done before it can be sold. My advice no safety inspection no sale.
Old May 10th 2014, 5:57 pm
is awesome

catpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud ofcatpea33 has much to be proud of

Cheers
Mine came from a dealer. I find it easier to get a good deal from them!
Old May 10th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

I lucked out then,$3000 got me a 2003 Dodge Caravan,no rust,new windscreen,and safety check.
Owned it for a year now,been to Drumheller,Rockies,Whitecourt,Elk island,Jurassic Forrest,and all around Edmonton.
I NEVER plugged the heater in during the winter,it starts first time EVERY time,has NEVER given me a problem!
The only things I have bought for it are wiper blades,and a new tire.

You don't need to put yourself into debt,and $3000 can get you a decent car,not a banger!
Old May 10th 2014, 10:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think Ive ever heard anyone consider that they lucked out to own a Dodge Caravan before!

Fundamental misunderstanding of what block heaters do here. They dont really make much difference in starting unless your battery is already on its last legs, but in the long term in a cold environment they will save some wear and tear on the metal to metal parts of the engine by keeping the oil thin enough to do its job when you first fire up the engine.
Old May 10th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

What is wrong with a Dodge Caravan?
It is the best selling minivan in North America is it not?
I only used that as an example it suits me as I have three kids,and a dog,go shooting,and camping etc.. so a car to me is as useful as a ripped space suit.

What I am saying is that there is no need to go into debt when you are only on a visa just for the sake of driving something 'trendy or cool'.
Anyway gotta go out in my Dodge Caravan just now and meet a guy to collect some ammo.
Old May 10th 2014, 11:55 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont think Ive ever heard anyone consider that they lucked out to own a Dodge Caravan before!

Fundamental misunderstanding of what block heaters do here. They dont really make much difference in starting unless your battery is already on its last legs, but in the long term in a cold environment they will save some wear and tear on the metal to metal parts of the engine by keeping the oil thin enough to do its job when you first fire up the engine.
Do they also save money if they keep your car warmer? My car really seemed to struggle with the cold and drank gas...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.