Reload this Page >

Gas and Electricity

Gas and Electricity

Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

sukhy2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas and Electricity

Hello Guys

I have just moved into my house and recieved my electricity and gas bills.
They dont hang around here.

Well i just wanted some information as to whats available in the market.
Are there other players? My electricity is from Hydro One and Gas from Enbridge, with a bit about direct energy for the water heater rental.

Is the market like the UK where I switch between providers? If so who are these people and what are the expereicnes people have had with them.

Sukhy
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas and Electricity

I don't think so.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sukhy2
Hello Guys

Are there other players? My electricity is from Hydro One and Gas from Enbridge, with a bit about direct energy for the water heater rental.

Is the market like the UK where I switch between providers? If so who are these people and what are the expereicnes people have had with them.

Sukhy
The only thing you can change is who provides the gas to Enbridge. If you look , you will see a gas supplier charge and often those are on a 3-5 year contract which will also prevent you from changing until it runs out. The provider of the service (Enbridge) is the only game in town as is the power company (Veridian in our case).

We get the gas supplier guys at least 2-3 times a month coming around trying to get you to change suppliers. Very annoying and pushy sales guys generally.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunatly it isnt like that here, Hydro one i believe is still part owned by the goverment and like the LCBO they have no competition so they can charge you what the bloody hell they like and theres nothing we can do about it. every time i get my gas bill i balk at it!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Guys

Sukhy
I think it varies from province to province. If I recall, there has been market deregulation in Ontario, so you do have a choice for one (or both?) of the utilities.

It doesn't make much difference to me these days. There is only one hydro company where I am, we own the water heater and there isn't any gas.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Sukhy
There are other suppliers of gas, I'm not sure about electricity. I switched from Enbridge to Sunoco because they offered a free football. Eventually the contract ran out and the supply reverted to Enbridge.

We get door to door salespeople for various gas companies but none of them ever speaks enough English to explain what they offer that's different from Enbridge. It's a shame because I hate Enbridge so if the salesperson could manage any sort of pitch I'd switch.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
We get door to door salespeople for various gas companies but none of them ever speaks enough English to explain what they offer that's different from Enbridge. It's a shame because I hate Enbridge so if the salesperson could manage any sort of pitch I'd switch.

LOL. We had loads of them in Oakville. My missus sent one away as he was "unable to communicate in either official language".
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

sukhy2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, keep the reviews and advice coming.

It looks as if I am stuck with Enbridge and Hydro One, and whats this about a security deposit from Hydro. A quick win for them to get hands on some cash to increase profits
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Guys

Sukhy
Hydro One in ontario will be the supplier, but there is, (or was, and wil be again) perhaps the option of playing the market.

They tried it a few years ago and had to abandon it as prices skyrocketed and unrest was widespread. There was something on my last hydro bill about it again.

"Customers can choose to leave the price plan by signing or renewing a contract with an electricity retailer for the commodity price." Its not common as far as I know, and if you did sign up with someone else you are still stuck with the service charges, debt retirement charge etc etc. Need a special meter for spot price charging too.

http://www.oeb.gov.on.ca/html/en/con...5elecrates.htm

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_d...faq_id=4000505
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
LOL. We had loads of them in Oakville. My missus sent one away as he was "unable to communicate in either official language".

The problem is they're not proper salespeople, they're just more imported doctors, engineers and the like.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:14 pm

The problem is they're not proper salespeople, they're just more imported doctors, engineers and the like.
.....that can't read. The place where we were living was a military base (well, military housing, anyway). There was a big sign at the only entry into the compound. In essence, it said: "If you don't live here, you're not allowed in here without permission, so sod off."
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

gemiran is an unknown quantity at this point

You may be interested in this web site. Enter your postal code and it'll show you your options for gas supply.

http://www.energyshop.com/
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:28 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks as if I am stuck with Enbridge and Hydro One, and whats this about a security deposit from Hydro. A quick win for them to get hands on some cash to increase profits
Sukhy,

See if there isn't a way you can get a credit report to wave in front of them even if from another country. One utility here in BC accepted that and it saved having to pay a hefty deposit fee. Might work for you.

Rich.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

and you supported Trudeau on his policy of muticulturalism?