Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

"Funny" in the UK

"Funny" in the UK

Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:27 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Funny" in the UK

I certainly appreciate the real-life insights available through this forum, but realise that a certain amount of "sifting" is required. I have been lurking on here long enough to see people come and go and have a pretty good idea about whose advice I value. It is always interesting to see how opinions and experiences vary, but we now seem to be getting a touch of the Oz forum disease.

Originally Posted by MikeUK
And my opinion isn’t just based on Toronto. I travel a lot with work and spend time in St John, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver… all have the same problems just the scale differs.. and I can quite happily say this is the same types of problems I saw in London, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Glasgow, Edinburgh.. and “add in� my last job the same problems I also saw in Munich, Frankfurt, Paris, Milan…granted I never saw these problems in Switzerland or Sweden. so there are places that do really have a better life.. or maybe I just didn’t look hard enough

In a moment's idleness, a Google search shows problems with domestic violence and racism can be found all over the world (even Sweden).

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?I...&date=20050601

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Article____2323.aspx

http://www.scb.se/templates/tableOrChart____47907.asp

Peace and love.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:48 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Not true, it's simply the sheer amount of times we get to read/hear about such things happening UK-side. And the fact that behaviour and attitude is deteriorating culture-wide, not so much a microcosm of trash/chavvy scum, but whole swathes of degenerate slobs within and across society.

I don't know if you can ever appreciate the difference the Brits see when the come to Canada and experience manners, civility, respect, patience, more tolerance, more respect for elders, less raod rage, and teens with manners and the ability to communicate not merely grunt, etc. No, "Canada is not Shangri-La" as I often say, but it has a damned site better QOL.

Grim stuff. Call me cyncial or pessimistic in that respect. But one thing which appeals in Canada is the improved QOL and the positive impact it will have on our own lives. More, a better fit with our social expectations.

Rich
I'm not sure but I think there may be some confusion here. Brodel, the person you were responding to is British (I think) but maybe it's me that you're directing your comments to. ?

That said, I do sort of agree with Brodel that some people (not singling anyone out) coming to Canada to get away from Chavs and 'anti-social' elements in British society may eventually be surprised that Canadian society contains a fair amount of the same type of behaviour; but it comes in a different package and so might not be so recognisable to newcomers.

You wrote "it's simply the sheer amount of times we get to read/hear about such things happening UK-side" – Read and hearing are different to seeing things. Have you ever seen a happy slap incidence? Living in rural UK I haven't, nor do I expect to, but when living in Canada I witnessed plenty of 'anti-social behaviour': in urban BC I have seen groups of teens and young adults roughing up homeless people many times on the quaint streets of Victoria and in Vancouver. I've seen "respectable business men" spitting and pissing on homeless people in Calgary. I've a relative missing from Vancouver's Lower Eastside and you wouldn't believe how long it has taken to get it taken seriously by the cops, gov't and media. These things don't make it to the news because it's not news, it's "normal". What's "normal" in Canada would feed the Daily Mail in Britain for eons; the Canadian media is nowhere near as hysterical as the British media so these "news stories of anti-social behaviour!!!!!!!" go completely unreported. It would be like reporting that the sun has indeed risen in the east - AGAIN!!!. So yes, there is a difference but I think the difference is far more different and complex than 'crime rates' and what's reported n the media.

Of course, of the surface Canada appears very friendly and nice and most people are indeed nice and friendly but most people the UK are nice and friendly too.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm not sure but I think there may be some confusion here. Brodel, the person you were responding to is British (I think) but maybe it's me that you're directing your comments to. ?

That said, I do sort of agree with Brodel that some people (not singling anyone out) coming to Canada to get away from Chavs and 'anti-social' elements in British society may eventually be surprised that Canadian society contains a fair amount of the same type of behaviour; but it comes in a different package and so might not be so recognisable to newcomers.

You wrote "it's simply the sheer amount of times we get to read/hear about such things happening UK-side" – Read and hearing are different to seeing things. Have you ever seen a happy slap incidence? Living in rural UK I haven't, nor do I expect to, but when living in Canada I witnessed plenty of 'anti-social behaviour': in urban BC I have seen groups of teens and young adults roughing up homeless people many times on the quaint streets of Victoria and in Vancouver. I've seen "respectable business men" spitting and pissing on homeless people in Calgary. I've a relative missing from Vancouver's Lower Eastside and you wouldn't believe how long it has taken to get it taken seriously by the cops, gov't and media. These things don't make it to the news because it's not news, it's "normal". What's "normal" in Canada would feed the Daily Mail in Britain for eons; the Canadian media is nowhere near as hysterical as the British media so these "news stories of anti-social behaviour!!!!!!!" go completely unreported. It would be like reporting that the sun has indeed risen in the east - AGAIN!!!. So yes, there is a difference but I think the difference is far more different and complex than 'crime rates' and what's reported n the media.

Of course, of the surface Canada appears very friendly and nice and most people are indeed nice and friendly but most people the UK are nice and friendly too.
V.True of US media too. My city population 569,000 is up to 52 homicides this year, you would never know this from the media. No ones really all that interested. You cant pass gas in England without The Sun doing a full page spread
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladylisa
V.True of US media too. My city population 569,000 is up to 52 homicides this year, you would never know this from the media. No ones really all that interested. You cant pass gas in England without The Sun doing a full page spread
Muder Rates:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur

I will make a thread out of this so more people see it. I vote not to live in India.

Anyone for Switzerland?
Old Jun 21st 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by ladylisa
You cant pass gas in England without The Sun doing a full page spread
Not true. Even the local press in South London that aims at a mainly enthnic population have stopped reporting murders as there are so many. And thats their news not my angle.
Old Jun 24th 2005, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Sheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brodel
I'm only going by my experiences in Canada whilst at University.
I see mindless vandalism every weekend, lights smashed, ceiling tiles torn down, posters pulled off the wall, drunk people running around. I even witnessed my first ever break in whilst in Canada and had to make a statement to the police.
It doesnt taint my view of Canda, it is a great place. It just seems that a lot of people only think these things only happen in the UK and once at the doors of Canada it is all behind them.

Let's face it violence and crime happen - it doesn't matter where in the world you live, it is (sad to say) a fact of life. It does no good to point the finger at any particular country...